Unfortunate Whale Speared by Cruise Ship

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
OTTAWA (Reuters) - [size=-1] It wasn't until the U.S. cruise ship had pulled into port in Atlantic Canada that those on board made a gruesome discovery -- the body of a large whale was impaled on the vessel's bow..

[/size]
[size=-1] Officials said on Monday that the 60-foot finback whale could have been stuck there for up to two days before "Jewel of the Seas" docked in Saint John, New Brunswick, on Sunday, after a cruise through waters where the giant mammals abound. [/size]

[size=-1] "The captain of the vessel was not aware there was a whale basically impaled on the bow ... this is an extremely unusual case," said Wendy Williams, a spokeswoman for Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans. [/size]

[size=-1]Coast Guard officials quickly removed the body of the whale and towed it out to sea. The Royal Caribbean ship had been cruising the St. Lawrence river and the Bay of Fundy on the Atlantic coast, an area rich in whales.
[/size]

[size=-1]Full Story
[/size]

That's so sad. Can't they put something on the front of those huge ships that emits some sort of whale alert or something they could hear to make them move out of the way? Doesn't seem impossible, does it?

Hi Jeana... on our Alaskan cruise we saw so many whales and dolphins all around the ship - swimming beside or infront of us - I was so worried about them!! I felt so sad to read that article too :(

Hopefully it was a rare thing - 1 in a million chance

I'll have to try and take one of those cruises one day. I'll have to life my life vest the entire time though. I'm scared to death of sinking. :blushing:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back