OK - "Home, sweet ho...hey, what the heck is this tombstone doing in the crawlspace?"

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Family finds 1923 tombstone under home

SHAWNEE, Okla. -- A Shawnee woman is trying to figure out what to do with a tombstone that was found under her home. It was quite a shock when the new owners of this home crawled beneath to do some plumbing work, and instead of finding a leak, found a headstone.
---
"He said, 'Mom, there's a tombstone underneath here," Boland said. "I said, 'No way.' He comes dragging it out and I'm like, 'Oh, my goodness.'"

He found a headstone made for a little boy named Robert L. Innis.

He was born in 1922 and died the next year.
---
(more, with video, at KFOR link above)

I have a headstone in my garage & my friend Leigh has one in her dining room...

I got mine from one of those "junk shops" in rural IL. The man said that a local cemetery was relocated and instrad of moving all the headstones; they were replacing them with the kind that are flat on the ground, so it would be easier to maintain the new cemetery. I guess you can just mow right over the flat ones, instead of having to trim around them...

Leigh's mother fouind her's at an estate sale... It used to be the top of a single person crypt, but the base was falling apart. The bottom was too far gone to reair, so they relocated the casket to the family vault, but the family kept the top with all the names & dates. She knows her's is legit because the lady selling it took her Leigh's mom out to the family plot & she took some pics with her cell of the new resting place (with new marker)...

I wonder, sometimes, if mine was stolen... But, I bought it when I was 16, and at 16 I was way less apt to question things...

(The headstone I have is for a little girl (who died at a little over 2 years old). It used to be in the house, but as soon as I found out I was pregnant with a little girl, it really creeped me out. It isn't allowed back int he house until my daughter is WELL over 2 years old...)

Has anyone considered that it was on top of where it was supposed to be!! :cowcouch:

Wonder if you could bury on your property in 1923 in that area? Could be where it belongs!

I have to add that a lot of tombstones are stolen and kept as souvenirs, some places have big problems with it. I happen to know where a "gift" one is, under a house, it has no dates though, so it was just a spare swiped from tombstone manufacturer.

How about those left over ones thrown in the ocean as a barrier in Babylon I think it is, read that in the LI Serial Killer thread. In a few hundred years people may think the town was just tossing the dead in the ocean and memorializing by tossing the tombstone in afterward. :giggle:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back