GA - Band teacher with HIV allegedly had sex with 15-year-old student

MorenoI

Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20053944-504083.html

Police in Richmond County have arrested a band teacher who is infected with the HIV virus, after he allegedly had sex with a 15-year-old student

The sheriff's office says McCauley was arrested Wednesday on charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, aggravated child molestation and reckless conduct by an HIV-infected person.

Boy told authorities he was not aware teacher had HIV.

I hope this boy will be okay! What is going on with teachers lately?

I grew up in that area and here's an article from the local paper, The Augusta Chronicle:

Man accused in molestation was a friend of family

(snip)

Family members were concerned, Dobbins said, because they knew McCauley was HIV-positive.

Dobbins said the suspect coerced the victim into engaging in sexual acts four times within the past two months.

More: http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/c...ed-molestation-was-friend-family?v=1302830508

Four times in two months... :no:... In addition to the abuse itself, I'm really worried about his chances of getting HIV.

I grew up in that area and here's an article from the local paper, The Augusta Chronicle:

Four times in two months... :no:... In addition to the abuse itself, I'm really worried about his chances of getting HIV.

Male to male sexual contact-so his chances are probably not insignificant. Of course it also going to depend on what kind of sexual acts these were.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:Boy said he didn't know about the HIV until after the sex. Well, hello he's a kid. A kid. This is a full grown *advertiser censored*s man who is in a position of trust and he coerced this child. What? He was gonna say "Look, son I have HIV, but we're gonna have sex"? I understand without divulging this information the charges are different, but............:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ready? Of course McCauley has taught as a substitute teacher. He is also affiliated with helping other bands.

Now for the kicker. McCauley's co-founder of the band is Angelo Hatcher, Jr. He is beside himself. I'm sure he is. Pastor Angelo Hatcher, Sr. speaks with the media though.........I said Pastor, O.K.?

"NO ONE WANTS ANYTHING LIKE THIS TO GET OUT" "NOT JUST GET OUT BUT TO HAPPEN TO SOMEONE'S CHILD, THAT'S A TERRIBLE THING".

What in the he*l does that mean? Not get out? Like not have the HIV get out? Like someone is going to have to answer to this assault and your son's band may be compromised?

What is it with these "men of God" and their cover ups?

http://www.wrdw.com/crimeteam12/hea...charged_with_child_molestation_119800094.html

Male to male sexual contact-so his chances are probably not insignificant. Of course it also going to depend on what kind of sexual acts these were.

bbm

I guess I'm confused by this statement, since homosexual men have the highest rate of HIV. It does depend on the type of contact, but... can you explain why the chances would be low with male-to-male? Thanks. :)

bbm

I guess I'm confused by this statement, since homosexual men have the highest rate of HIV. It does depend on the type of contact, but... can you explain why the chances would be low with male-to-male? Thanks. :)

Belimom, the way I read it, not insignificant means "larger than insignificant", or higher than average, which is in line with m/m sexual contact.

One of the other things people need to be aware of is something called 'viral load', which means the amount of virus shedding in body fluids at the time of contact. If the viral load is "low", the chances are less; if the viral load is high, chances are larger. Repeated contact, even with a low viral load, increases the chances, too. There is NEVER a safe time to have sex with an HIV infected partner without awareness and protection - and even then you run a risk of acquiring the infection. Period.

I am hoping the young man got himself some serious medical attention - there are drugs which, if used immediately, actually lessen the chance of getting HIV; but they are harsh drugs, and often don't work. Still, it's a chance, so I'm hoping that they have given this boy that chance.

None of this addresses the sexual abuse of this child...and it is my opinion that someone like the predator the teacher is, should be charged with attempted murder as well as sexual abuse.

Best-
Herding Cats

Belimom, the way I read it, not insignificant means "larger than insignificant", or higher than average, which is in line with m/m sexual contact.

(snip)

Thank you, HC.... I misread it as 'not significant'.. :blushing: (Sorry, jjenny... :seeya:)

Filly--We've heard similar statements like that of the pastor's from several seemingly bright people recently. I don't get it. Collegiate Academy made a similar statement that even though two teachers had been arrested--one for child *advertiser censored* and one for molestation--they wanted everyone to remember that they did have some good teachers. Yeah, don't mind those two....

If I were a victim or a family member, I'd be exploding about now. We need to keep checking back with this pastor and see if he retracts that statement or re-phrases it. However, what he said is most likely what he really meant.

From Filly's link:

"...But the Hatcher family says McCauley helped with many band programs including ones in Richmond County Schools..."

and

"...McCauley used to be a substitute teacher from 2005-2008 in the school system but he isn't known to be one now....."

and

"...The overall goal of this band is beautiful," Hatcher said. "I think for someone to just target an incident and then attach that incident, it's not right and it's not fair...."

more at link

Can we look at these statements for a minute, please. The guy has had lots of access to young kids, that's clear. The school district say he isn't "known to be" sub-ing currently. This came up at another school last week. The school said a guy had not been sub-ing but students said he had. One would think this could be easily tracked. How hard can it be to be definitive for parents who are freaking out?

And the beauty of the program....oh my. Yes, that might be true. But that comes AFTER addressing the issue at hand--a victim who might be terribly ill. Is this the classic case of minimization or what? I expect to hear that the perp rescued injured kittens or that he keeps his lawn nice. Helpful guy, I'm sure. Directing us to look everywhere but squarely at the perp and the program.

http://theheatmag.com/hiv-positive-band-teacher-arrested-for-having-sex-with-a-15-year-old/

"...Travis McCauley, 32, had sex with the Georgia boy three weeks ago and the pair engaged in another sex act last week, police said...."

more at link

First of all, they are not a pair and secondly they did not engage in a sex act. Age of consent is 17 in GA so McCauley raped or sexually assaulted the boy in some manner. When will reporters ever learn? I highly doubt that these words are the exact words that a LEO would use or that they are the words from a Probable Cause document. IMO, it should read:

"Travis McCauley, 32, sexually assaulted the Georgia boy three weeks ago and again last week."

I'm thinking (and praying) that this info means that the risk was a bit lower than it could have been. If this is to be fully believed:

http://mobile.wjbf.com/wjbf/pm_6826/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=2wdTvohP

"...McCauley is accused of oraly sodomizing and fondling the teenager..."

Does anyone know how this might translate into the element of risk for the teen?

Don't quote me here, and mind you it's been years since I helped my Professor give seminars at schools, but from what I recall...........

High concentrations of HIV are found in of course blood, breast milk, semen and pre-seminal fluids and any vaginal fluids. Oh and basically any other bodily fluids containg blood.

Mind you if Mr. Band Man has any other STD's present that ups the poor kids chances of catching something of course. So let's pray that isn't happening.

You can abosutely catch HIV from oral sex weather performing or receiving. However, it's significantly lower than unprotected anal or vaginal sex. Obviously this "man" didn't use a barrier method.

If this young man didn't have any cuts or ulcers in the tissues in his mouth I think he will be alright. I pray he is.

Hope that helped and again perhaps there's more updated information.

Thanks, Filly. That's what I thought. I'm hoping the boy didn't play a wind instrument and have the very common cracked lips. Oh my. Grasping at straws, here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back