Severe storms death toll rises to 9 in 2 states

Dark Knight

Reaction score
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Destructive storms that tore across the country's midsection left at least nine people dead after smashing uprooted trees into homes in Arkansas and ripping apart the only school in one tiny Oklahoma town, officials said Friday.

A tornado swept through Tushka in southeast Oklahoma town late Thursday, killing two sisters in their 70s, Salvation Army Capt. Ric Swartz said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_severe_weather

Praying for all those affected by this storm.
Weather scares me.

Oh my. That's horrible.

Tornado passed by where we live (Va)5 miles away 3 dead. No damage where I live but 5 miles up the road a lot and this is a small community it is hitting people hard right now.

My granddaughter is at Pope AFB adjoining Ft. Bragg. She is Security Forces (MP), and her husband is Army MP. They had just gotten back there yesterday morning from visiting here. They both got called in.

Ft. Bragg is without power and had a lot of wind damage. Only key personnel are allowed in until the power is restored. It sould be restored sometime today. There was a tornado and damages in Fayetteville also.

My prayers go out to all of those many people who have been affected by these storms/tornados in several states. My prayers also go out to the families of those who have lost loved ones. GB them all.

The tornado activity here in NC is bad enough to call a state of emergency. Many small towns affected as well as Raleigh. There are reportedly 10 deaths here and possibly more. 20 counties are impacted. In sanford the Lowes (DIY) had major destruction. The manager is being credited with saving 100 people/employees. FT Bradd has sustained damage as has many of the neighborhoods in Fayetteville. Incredibly sad reports coming out now of 3 children ( ages 2, 3and 5) who have been killed in Raleigh in their mobile home. They sought shelter in the bathtub but a tree fell on the home. Many others have no power, many homes damaged and numerous that have been destroyed. There were multiple super cells that passed thru the state spawed by a front. Those super cells resulted in 62 tornados that ran in a northwesterly direction from mid cetnral to 95 or farther east. The hook echos indicating tornado typically are on the radar here for only a few minutes - most yesterday were on the radar for more than an hour. Many plants and business have also been destroyed as well which will impact many as well. FEMA, HAZmat and many power crews are out on the ground now.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/index

What a tragedy!

Prayers to all those effected.

Sincerely,
fran
:rose

The death toll rises again, this time to 45:

NC gets worst of storms that ravaged swath of US (AP)

AP - A tornado-spewing storm system that killed at least 45 people across half the country unleashed its worst fury on North Carolina, where residents in the capital city and rural hamlets alike on Sunday mourned the dead, marveled at their survival and began to clean up devastated neighborhoods.

Is this the same storm system that came through Louisiana Friday?

Prayers for all affected.

Horrible! :(

Tornado passed by where we live (Va)5 miles away 3 dead. No damage where I live but 5 miles up the road a lot and this is a small community it is hitting people hard right now.

My niece's school (Page Middle School)took a really bad hit.I just watched a few of the videos on youtube.I am glad it wasn't during school hours.

My niece's school (Page Middle School)took a really bad hit.I just watched a few of the videos on youtube.I am glad it wasn't during school hours.

I thought the school sounded familiar, so I went and found the pic. I too am glad the storm didn't hit during school hours.

http://i.usatoday.net/news/gallery/2011/n110417_tornado/08n110417_tornado-pg-horizontal.jpg

Caption:By Jay Paul, Getty Images
4/17/2011
Destroyed school buses are strewn through the rubble at Page Middle School in Gloucester, Va., after a tornado Saturday.

Pic is from a slideshow:
http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Deadly-storms-hammer-South/G2169

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell