Belgium - Roger Vangheluwe, former Bishop calls sex abuse just a "little game"

Missizzy

Reaction score
My head is about to explode--just a "little game", no "rough sex", never about "real sexuality"? Did the man ask the children if this was a little game? My guess is that these boys' lives have been changed forever. And as if we believe that only two boys were abused.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42604574/ns/world_news-europe/

Child-abusing ex-bishop's tell-all shocks Belgium

"BRUSSELS, Belgium — A former bishop's televised admission that he sexually abused two of his nephews caused an uproar in Belgium on Friday, with the prime minister, senior clergy and a prosecutor expressing shock at the way the ex-prelate made light of his offenses...."

and

"....Roger Vangheluwe, the former bishop of Bruges, spoke of his sexual abuse as "a little game," that involved fondling, but no "rough sex."
"I was never naked" and the abuse was never about "real sexuality," said Vangheluwe, 74.

He resigned as bishop in 2010 after admitting he had abused one of his nephews for 13 years — until the boy was 18. In the TV interview aired Thursday, he revealed that he had abused a second nephew "a few times, a couple of times, not for years....."

and

"....at a time when the church is reaching out to abuse victims, "along comes a former bishop who says it was only little games. This man is either sick, or it is a normal reaction from a pedophile...."

more at link

my God, it was a game? not about sex then what was it about?? I dont get it.

Calm down folks. He wasn't naked. Plus he only abused his one nephew a few times. Wouldn't that be incest as well? What's the uproar about?

Sweet Lord almighty.

Lil game ya know. Flippin *#%*# creeper. Nooooooooooooo Candy Land is a game. Battleship is a game.

I can't even say anymore except prayers and more prayers for those poor boys and all the boys he hasn't admitted to hurting.

Thank you Filly. You made me laugh at the inanity/insanity of it all and the laughter led me to cry. That's what I needed to do.

I'm left sitting here thinking how those words must cut like a knife for any person affected by this sickness.

I hope all churches are in prayer tomorrow for all the sweet lambs who've been cut off at the knees.

Well not to worry, but former Bishop Vangheluwe has left the building:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110409/ts_nm/us_belgium_catholic_abuse_1

Vatican says sex abuser bishop leaves Belgium

"A Belgian Catholic bishop who resigned in disgrace after admitting to sexually abusing his nephew has left the country for "spiritual and psychological treatment" abroad, a Vatican ambassador said on Saturday.

Former Bruges Bishop Roger Vangheluwe, 74, went into hiding after shocking the Belgian Church with his public confession in April 2010. He first stayed at a Belgian monastery but later left it, and his exact whereabouts were not made public...."

more at link

So, he's gone abroad. Where might that be? Abroad is a big place......

From my link directly above:

"....Brussels Archbishop Andre-Joseph Leonard has caused controversy by saying it was vengeful to prosecute retired predator priests and the Church had no obligation to compensate abuse victims...."

more at link

Vengeful????? We're just supposed to forget about the "harmless games" and move on?

This makes me hotter than a pot of butter beans!!
:maddening::maddening:
What do want to bet that he's come to America? You know, for the "spirituality and psychological" treatment?!?!

He honestly doesn't know what all the fuss is about.

Here's a clue. He never will.:maddening::maddening:

He was sent to a French monastery and has disappeared. Whereabouts unknown:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110417/wl_afp/belgiumreligionchildsex

excerpt:
"He left last night," the mother superior of the Brotherhood of Jerusalem told AFP at the community. Asked where he had gone, she said: "I don't know. We are referring all questions to the papal nuncio's office in Belgium."

He was sent to a French monastery and has disappeared. Whereabouts unknown:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110417/wl_afp/belgiumreligionchildsex

excerpt:
"He left last night," the mother superior of the Brotherhood of Jerusalem told AFP at the community. Asked where he had gone, she said: "I don't know. We are referring all questions to the papal nuncio's office in Belgium."

Whoa. He just up and left?

The Papal Nuncio must have some 'splaining to do.

O.K. so if he has a Passport which he must, right? He could be virtually any old place?

Let's hope he isn't at a toy store here in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well let's pray and hope he isn't around any kids anywhere.

Knowing our luck, he'll show up at Wal-mart or Disneyland.

Like I said about Lonnie Hyrum Johnson (the SRO who was just released in Utah), it's like a totally un-fun game of "Where's Waldo?".

This man is the pits. And to think that many moons ago, everybody looked up to him. His interview (which I didn't see because I don't live in Belgium anymore) was the last straw and on Sunday I sent my defection letter to the Archbishop to asked to be struck off the baptismal register. Maybe I can find god again by myself.

After months of the police asking for people to come forward it finally happended. The linked article was in today's paper and relates to the sixties when he had a camp for altar boys.
http://www.gva.be/nieuws/binnenland/aid1038828/parket-bevestigt-nieuwe-aangifte-van-misbruik-door-roger-vangheluwe.aspx Article is in Dutch, but can be translated through google (sorry am at work otherwise I'd do it myself).

One thing that I found amazing is that his nephew, the one he "played games with", didn't think the interview was a bad thing.
Vangheluwe was in a convent (meditation centre) in the middle of France, but had to leave afterwards. The mother superior didn't take too kindly to all the publicity. I can only hope that they have indeed taken away his passport. As all Belgians he has an IC card which allows him to travel in Europe. He would only need a passport if he wanted to leave the European continent. At the moment nobody knows where the Vatican has put him (he can't go anywhere that they don't approve of), but judging from his character I think he will be in the news again.

Frieke

Irish Frieke--I'm so sorry that you've been forced into this corner to make such a sad choice. But I fully understand and respect your decision. What a tragic commentary on the church you loved. Yes, you may certainly find God "on your own". I live a life in total isolation and yet have a very active and wonderful relationship with God.

I had not heard of a camp for altar boys. That sounds ominous. I have wondered what the nephews' responses are to Vangheluwe's comments. The fact that they are not up in arms tells me that I need to be worried about them, sadly.

I found another article which brings up the issue of a rare de-frocking. However, if that were to occur under the order from the Pope, the man would be totally free. Something to think about. But things can't continue as they are. The man seems to be having fun with this "charade". He is tremendously pleased with himself and totally smug:

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/world/article/belgium-looks-to-pope-to-help-end-abuse-crisis/

"...he will get his 2,800-euro [$4,012 US] state pension regardless of his standing in the Church..."

and

"....Vangheluwe’s whereabouts are once again unclear. He left the secluded monastery near Orleans on Saturday after it complained about all the media attention his presence had caused, and does not seem to lack options to hide.

“I’ve received a massive amount of offers of lodging, both from monasteries and from individuals,” he boasted in his first television interview. “Hundreds of people have expressed their support by sending a letter or card.”

more at link

Yes, I'm quite certain Vangheluwe will be heard from again.

Just posted:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/prosecutor...-against-former-belgian-bishop-132229953.html

Prosecutors considering new pedophilia charge against former Belgian bishop

"The prosecutor's office in Belgium says it is considering filing a new pedophilia charge against a former Belgian bishop who already has admitted abusing two nephews.

The new complaint centres on allegations that Roger Vangheluwe and another priest sexually abused two young altar boys during a camp several decades ago...."

more at link

Just posted:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/prosecutor...-against-former-belgian-bishop-132229953.html

Prosecutors considering new pedophilia charge against former Belgian bishop

"The prosecutor's office in Belgium says it is considering filing a new pedophilia charge against a former Belgian bishop who already has admitted abusing two nephews.

The new complaint centres on allegations that Roger Vangheluwe and another priest sexually abused two young altar boys during a camp several decades ago...."

more at link

And unfortunately one of those 2 boys is indeed among the casualties. According to an article today, he committed suicide.

This man is the pits. And to think that many moons ago, everybody looked up to him. His interview (which I didn't see because I don't live in Belgium anymore) was the last straw and on Sunday I sent my defection letter to the Archbishop to asked to be struck off the baptismal register. Maybe I can find god again by myself.

http://

Frieke I am sorry.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110424/wl_afp/belgiumreligionchildsex_20110424174259

Belgian Catholic head 'shocked' by ex-bishop's confession
April 24, 2011 Easter Sunday

"The head of the Catholic Church in Belgium, Andre-Joseph Leonard, described as "shocking" Sunday an ex-bishop's televised confession that he had sexually abused two of his nephews. "It is inappropriate and shocking," Leonard told Belgium television RTBF of Roger Vangheluwe's "detached and vacant tone" during the interview, in which he had described "a kind of game" with one of the youngsters.

Leonard said Vangheluwe "should not have spoken".....

more at link

Which is inappropriate and shocking? Sexually abusing a child or talking about it? I'm afraid that Father Leonard appears to forget to put the victim's pain first.

And unfortunately one of those 2 boys is indeed among the casualties. According to an article today, he committed suicide.

Ohhhh. That is so awful. I can feel my blood boiling and it is cold and raining outside. I was raised Catholic but everyone in my large extended Irish Catholic family has left the church by now. And 'speeches' like that from the 'playful' Bishop is one of the main reasons.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back