GUILTY GA - Coweta Co., Human remains found buried, Apr'11 - Ann Margaret Berry *husband Arrested 2019*

Boys Camping Find Old Human Bones

Posted: 6:06 am EDT April 18, 2011
NEWNAN, Ga. -- Authorities in Coweta County are looking into the discovery of what appears to be a shallow grave that was uncovered by two teenage boys.
The boys reported finding the bones Friday night when they attempted to set up a camp site.
Investigators with the Coweta County Sheriff's Office and a team from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the remains appear to be decades old.
~~Article says that the remains are located behind a house, 25 to 30 yards inside in a heavily wooded area.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27580665/detail.html

May I please ask if any one knows if these remains were male or female or any update on these remains found.There was appararantly two sets of remains found in Coweta County I think.

More at link

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/human-remains-found-in-coweta-county-041511

041511_humanremains_5p_20110415225105_320_240.JPG

Two Coweta County boys found a body in the backyard Friday, April 15, 2011 while setting up for a camp out. Investigators said the human remains had been hidden in a shallow grave for years.

Regular Photo Size

• Advertisement

Human Remains Found in Coweta County

Updated: Friday, 15 Apr 2011, 11:05 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 15 Apr 2011, 11:05 PM EDT
By: MYFOXATLANTA STAFF/myfoxatlanta
COWETA COUNTY, Ga. - Two Coweta County boys found a body in the backyard Friday night while setting up for a camp out. Investigators said the human remains had been hidden in a shallow grave for years.

From the article.

Investigators said the remains could have been there since the 1980s.

I seem to remember a book "Murder in Coweta County". My DH and family are from that area.

Two sets of remains are mentioned in this later article.I'm interested if there is any new information on these remains found.The 2nd set of remains found in this article.

http://www.times-herald.com/Local/Human-bones-in-woods-5-6-years--1744707

This week's discovery isn't the only find of human remains in Coweta that the GBI is working to identify.
Authorities are continuing their efforts to identify human remains found in the 900 block of Welcome-to-Arnco Road in April.
A 14-year-old made the gruesome discovery while digging a fire pit about 30 yards beyond the wood line behind the family home. Inside a shallow grave, the teenager found a black trash bag that contained a human skull and other remains.
Authorities believe the remains are evidence of a decades-old homicide.
Yarbrough said recently that the GBI is testing DNA submitted by relatives of a couple of missing persons that meet the criteria in this case.
"At this point we have our guesses," said Yarbrough in a previous interview. He added that there's a "short stack" of possible cases that sheriff's investigators are considering at this point.

The thread title says August but according to the quote in the OP it should be April.

I don't see a profile for this person in NamUs, NCMEC, or the Doe network... I wonder if they solved it?

An article I hadn't read before...

From 4/17/11
As violent storms swept into Coweta County Friday night, two local boys stumbled across evidence of possible violence from as far back as three decades ago.

J** Abbott, 14, was digging a fire pit and pitching a tent at the 900 block of Welcome-to-Arnco Road as the winds whipped up and the rains began to fall. That’s when he made an unexpected, gruesome discovery.

“I was digging a fire pit and I kept hitting stuff,” he told an Atlanta TV news team, Fox 5, on Friday night.

“I thought it was roots, but it was bones,” he said. “And then I hit this trash bag and a skull rolled out of the bag.”

Abbott said he ran and told his father, Anthony Abbott.

“He was saying he found some bones,” said the father. “I didn’t believe him, so I went down around there and looked. And there it was. A skull, pieces of a leg and a spine.”

Both local investigators with the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office and a state team from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation were called in to lock down the scene in and around the shallow grave. That’s when they determined that the remains were likely from decades past.

“We got called out there somewhere around 5:30 Friday evening,” said Sheriff Mike Yeager on Saturday. “Some boys were setting up a camp site in a wooded area behind their home there on Welcome-to-Arnco Road, setting up a tent and digging a fire pit. That’s when one of the kids said they hit something kind of hard, and they thought they had hit a root. But they pulled out what appeared to be a human skull.”

After examining the remains, Yeager said they’re “definitely human.”

“We have confirmed that they were human remains, buried in a shallow grave, probably 25 or 30 yards beyond a heavily-wooded wood line behind the house. Those were pretty thick woods where the kids were back there playing.”

It’s just plain luck they were found at all, he said. Apparently the bones had been sitting there for quite some time.

“It gave the appearance that those bones had been there for several years. A good period of time. I’m not going to speculate on just how long,” he said.

“But it was nothing recent,” he said.

He did say that sheriff’s investigators are dusting off files from as far back as 20 years ago.

“We’re looking at a couple of old cases that go back that far,” he said. “We’ll be looking more into that at the first of the week, to see what direction we need to go in. We may even be looking at cases from outside the county. We have received some calls that go back many years involving cases from outside the county.”

He said when test results on the bones come back from the state crime lab, investigators should have more clues to go on.

“We’re hoping we can tell if the remains were male or female, and how long they had been in the ground,” he said.

“We called several of our investigators to the scene, and the GBI, as well, and we excavated that area for about five hours,” he said.

“We feel we got the whole area covered, and we removed all the remains we could find there. Those will all be sent to the GBI crime lab.”

http://www.times-herald.com/local/Skull--bones-found-on-Welcome-to-Arnco-Road-could-be-decades-old

I am from Newnan-- and I'm in my 20's, and all I really remember about the Arnco area are recent meth busts-- what was the area like in the 90's?

Like, I remember reading about the kids finding the body, and I immediately thought it was drug related, but that's probably not the case if Ms. Berry was reported missing so long ago.

A missing person report was filed July 31, 1991, on Berry, who lived at 818 Welcome-to-Arnco Road at the time.
(snip)

Berry's remains were found in the 900 block of Welcome-to-Arnco Road.

All that time...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back