Ladies and gentlemen, the (new) Beetle

Dark Knight

Reaction score
NEW YORK – In its 73-year history, the Beetle has evolved from the hippie ride of choice to a cute chick car. Now Volkswagen is reinventing it again.

The company introduced an edgy design Monday for its signature model, giving it a flatter roof, a less bulbous shape, narrowed windows and a sharp crease along the side. Gone is the built-in flower vase on the dashboard.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110418/ap_on_bi_ge/us_redesigned_beetle

In addition to an upgraded, 170-horsepower, 2.5-liter gas engine, VW will offer a sportier, 200-horsepower, turbocharged gas engine — Volkswagen hopes it will appeal to guys — and a fuel-efficient diesel. VW estimates that the new basic engine will be slightly more efficient than the current one, which gets 29 mpg on the highway. The diesel will get up to 40 mpg. Asked whether VW will offer an electric version, spokesman Corey Proffitt says, "Not yet."

I'm more interested in the MPG than the design (although I like this one marginally better than the other VW's, I'm not a brand loyal kind of gal). When we downgrade from a family sized car to a car just for us I want something that gets fantastic MPG (gas). Gas here is close to the $4.50 mark. JMHO

ETA: snipped quote from DK's OP.

It does look more man-friendly. I like it better, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back