DOT to airlines: No hidden fees

What do you think of this ruling?

• It's too much government interference with business' rights.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/20/passenger.rights/index.html

DOT to airlines: No hidden fees
By Mike M. Ahlers and Jeanne Meserve, CNN
April 20, 2011 6:07 a.m. EDT

...The new rules, which will take effect in 120 days, require airlines to prominently disclose all fees and taxes on their websites. It also increases compensation for passengers who are involuntary bumped, limits "tarmac delays" for international flights to four hours and makes other pro-consumer changes.

"We're trying to look out after passengers who, in some instances, have been treated pretty shabbily," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said.

Passenger rights advocates, who lauded the proposed rule, are likely to be happy with the final rule....

These hidden fees are like a dealer advertising a car for $15,000 and then telling you when you get there that an engine, seats, tires and floorboards are all additional charges. JMO

My last airline ticket, I bought the ticket. Then paid for the baggage, had to pay to get seating, there are airport charges for each and every airport you enter. And taxes are extremely high. And those are just the charges that I know about.

But the problem with this type of thing is like the phone company charges. They itemize your charges. But there are so many and who really understands them all? And it isn't like you can opt out of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back