FL - Julia Bennett, 33, shot dead, 2yo son blamed, Miramar, 20 April 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
Could a tiny one actually shoot a gun? I've honestly never even looked at a gun up close or held one so I don't know. I hope this is thoroughly investigated. Why in God's green earth is a loaded gun sitting around where there's a baby???

It seems very strange to me that he could shoot his mother, see her fall and then be playful. That's not typical of toddlers right after any sort of trauma. This sounds very suspicious. Poor little guy. Yesterday it was a five year old taking a gun to school. Today it's a 2 year old. I don't like guns.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Toddler-Fatally-Shoots-Mom-in-the-Back-120323204.html

Mom Shot in the Back by Toddler Identified

"A toddler reportedly playing with a handgun shot and killed his mother in a tragic accident in Miramar Wednesday night, police said.

and

"...Police say they received a 911 call from someone inside the home who said the toddler, who is just shy of his third birthday, shot his mother. The mother, identified by police as 33-year-old Julia Bennett, died at the scene.

The young boy was seen playing around with police shortly after the shooting, giving no outward sign of distress as his mother lay inside shot to death....

more at link

I dunno my 3 yr old is a good shot with his older brother's nerf guns....... and some of them have hard triggers. He can shoot off like 10 of the little foam bullets, run around pick them up reload the clip and start firing again in about 2 minutes...

They could have easily done a gun shot residue swab on him to make sure he was the one with the powder on him vs. the adult male in the home.

This poor little kid is going to suffer emotionally because of this, I hope he and his family get proper help and support

I do NOT know guns but I looked up Glock on Wiki and studied the photos. I have a 3 year old granddaughter and could imagine her being able to pick up the gun but not to manage the trigger and point. But she's never seen a gun--toy or real. Aren't there video games which have gun type controllers? The little guy could have known how to work those.

I'm bothered by the fact that the mom was shot in the back. A woman would turn and run from an adult pointing a gun at her but I would think that a mom would go towards a toddler holding a gun, and therefore get shot front on. If she was truly shot in the back, I have to think that she knew the gun was sitting there and got up to leave the room.

Children and guns do NOT mix. What a tragedy. I'd think that this could be figured out pretty quickly. Children of 2 1/2 are not known for lying or telling "stories". They're pretty concrete.

Poor little guy. How in the heck do they process this kind of a trauma with a baby?

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21004118744696/

FATHER LOSES CUSTODY... FOR NOW

Baby placed with mom's family

He admitted bringing the gun to her apartment, leaving it in baby's reach..

He has (allegedly) confronted her at gunpoint before!

BSO doesn't know where the father is and can't reach him!!

I don't really believe it is the guns that are the problem. It is people who are not responsible. It is really not that difficult to lock up a gun or make it safe to be handled. And for goodness sakes, keep them out of the hands of children, unless they are using them in a safe and well supervised manner, ie target shooting with mom, dad, or grandparents.

That being said, it is possible but highly unlikely that the toddler actually did shoot the mother.

IMO, LE will find that this child did not shoot his mother. Once when my dd was two I walked in my mil's bedroom and found her lookin down the barrel of a thirty eight. She was sitting in the middle of a king sized bed. My legs turned to rubber and for a moment I could not move. It was the most horrible experience of my life. The inlaws kept the gun under a pillow and my dd found it when she woke from her nap. Needless to say, I was unaware of the gun. From that day on the gun was kept in a safe. Locked safes are the only "safe" places for guns and I dont for one minute believe this mans story. No way this mother would have turned her back on that scene. I hope this man gets lwop at the very least!

Yeah, we are going to hear this man was the shooter. I am 99% sure of that.

Even if I am incorrect, in my opinion that man is guilty of negligent homicide. His foreseeable actions (bringing a loaded gun into that home, leaving it in proximity of a toddler, pointing the gun at the child's mother previously perhaps even in front of the baby) clearly put this into motion. Again - that is only IF he is not indeed the one who shot this woman - which I feel he did.

As far as I understand, this guy didn't actually live there because he is married to another woman? Did he bring the gun with him when he visited? Why? And then he claims he left that gun where this toddler got a hold of it? I certainly am suspicious at what actually happened there.

Police confirmed they conducted gun shot residue tests on the man and toddler but haven't released those results.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/120452834.html

Sorry to quote myself - I thought the first I read about this - the baby was taken out of the apt by a man before LE even arrived on the scene - so if this was the father and he committed the murder, could he have wiped the GS residue on to the boy's hands/arms from his own hands? (then washed himself) before LE even arrived? Is there a pattern to GS residue?

Inside a West Miami-Dade store, one gun owner said he had serious questions about the claim that the two-year-old boy fired the gun.

“It’s highly unlikely that this would have been possible because it requires five pounds of pressure to pull the trigger of a nine millimeter semi-automatic glock pistol like this one,” said longtime gun owner Kevin Gleason. “Even if the gun was chambered and ready to fire, this would have been very difficult. I don’t buy this story.”

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/22/2180613/tot-who-may-have-shot-mom-removed.html#ixzz1KIgPJT6d

The truth will come out...

Inside a West Miami-Dade store, one gun owner said he had serious questions about the claim that the two-year-old boy fired the gun.

“It’s highly unlikely that this would have been possible because it requires five pounds of pressure to pull the trigger of a nine millimeter semi-automatic glock pistol like this one,” said longtime gun owner Kevin Gleason. “Even if the gun was chambered and ready to fire, this would have been very difficult. I don’t buy this story.”

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/22/2180613/tot-who-may-have-shot-mom-removed.html#ixzz1KIgPJT6d

The truth will come out...

That article says police hasn't charged the boy. Even if he is the one who actually did it, hello-he is 2 1/2.

That article says police hasn't charged the boy. Even if he is the one who actually did it, hello-he is 2 1/2.

:crazy:

lol, I am sorry. I know this is no laughing matter and a woman is dead but the journalist responsible for reporting that article - sheesh - that line IS laughable. Of course the child hasn't been arrested. What a stupid thing to write. Who on earth who think the child was or could be or should be FGS??

:crazy:

lol, I am sorry. I know this is no laughing matter and a woman is dead but the journalist responsible for reporting that article - sheesh - that line IS laughable. Of course the child hasn't been arrested. What a stupid thing to write. Who on earth who think the child was or could be or should be FGS??

I know. Also lol.
Even if he is the one who did it (which I find hard to believe), he is 2 1/2 years old. If police arrested him, that would be something else.

Lets just imagine this. A 2.5 year old would need a nanny to see to its care while incarcerated, would not be able to participate in its own defense, would need diaper breaks during a trial, the whole idea of it is a complete joke. Who is this reporter??

sorry, but I really needed a chuckle, thanks for the levity.

Lets just imagine this. A 2.5 year old would need a nanny to see to its care while incarcerated, would not be able to participate in its own defense, would need diaper breaks during a trial, the whole idea of it is a complete joke. Who is this reporter??

sorry, but I really needed a chuckle, thanks for the levity.

And they would have to open a child care center right there in the jail.

LOL I totally missed that! What an <<unusual person>>>!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back