Drunk dad has 6-year-old son steer car on freeway

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Waukesha - A Muskego man was being held in the Waukesha County Jail on Wednesday, accused of having his 6-year-old son steer their car down a freeway from his drunken father's lap, zigzagging at up to 70 mph.

Paul J. Boland was arrested after another motorist spotted the boy with his hands on the steering wheel as the car occasionally veered onto the gravel shoulder at freeway speed, according to the criminal complaint.

When Muskego police pulled them over minutes later after receiving a cellular phone call from the other motorist, the boy was in the passenger seat crying and Boland told the arresting officer that he and his son had been having a conversation, according to the complaint.

Boland, 37, subsequently performed a preliminary breath test indicating he had an alcohol concentration in his system of 0.18, the complaint says. A level of 0.08 is considered evidence of intoxication in Wisconsin.

When Boland made his initial court appearance on the charge Tuesday, Waukesha County Court Commissioner Martin Binn set his bail at $500, ordered him to participate in a program for intoxicated drivers and told him not to have children driving his car.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/sep04/262859.asp

When I was a little girl, my daddy used to let me sit on his lap and steer. This was before mandatory seatbelt and child restraint laws. Always on a straight and mostly deserted street. I loved doing that!

Arielle said:
When I was a little girl, my daddy used to let me sit on his lap and steer. This was before mandatory seatbelt and child restraint laws. Always on a straight and mostly deserted street. I loved doing that!
What! And you're still alive! How could that be? We should have ALL died with the things that we did.... :rolleyes:

Sorry about the sarcasm. I think the car seat laws go too far, myself, but that's cause I have tall kids, who don't weigh enough and are whiplash victims waiting to happen in car seats.

And I never wore a helmet while riding my bike, I climbed trees, I played on concrete playgrounds (mulch, what's that?), and I ran with scissors! :D

But my parents were also responsible enough not to let me play with plastic bags, run my rolling walker near stairs, and kept knives and chemicals locked up. All without warnings all over the packages. Now how did they know that these things were dangerous? The rest of the world obviously doesn't....
I don't see a big warning on the outside of cars stating "Warning, getting run over by this vehicle is hazardous to your health."

Hey, did you run with KNIVES, too?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back