Monster Cold

stmarysmead

Reaction score
I will admit to being fascinated with this case and here’s why: in other high profile cases that have caught my interest...from Laci Peterson, to Caylee, to Jon Benet...even the OJ Simpson case...there was a possibility that a moment of rage , a second of lost control was behind the crime. A desire to self-protect and escape punishment might explain the cover-up or all that followed after. That is a human failing I can understand. Not excuse, but understand.

At least it MIGHT be a possibility.

I’m not asserting that this view is the truth in these cases but somehow, if one could even consider for a moment...that the crime MIGHT have begun with “loss of control”...then PERHAPS we were dealing with flawed humans and not monsters. Maybe Scott argued with his pregnant wife and it got physical; maybe a self-absorbed young Mother made a fatal mistake, etc. These crimes are terrible but there is a possibility in each that the killer may have wanted his victim dead in a moment of rage but death was not a long standing plan. Murder might not have been a months-long calculation. It could have been..but a few seeds of doubt are possible.

I see no “seeds of doubt” about calculation in this case. Society needs to study how a Monster like Coleman is created. We NEED to learn everything about him and his parental family that we can. Ted Bundy killed scores of beautiful young women but they were strangers...not a woman who had been a loving wife of over ten years, children who adored him.

Those many years of memories had no impact on Coleman when he calculated how he could fund his new life with sexy Tara. We must understand that he possessed no fatherly love that offset his sexual desires.

He wanted Tara. He did not WANT his family. Even more...he did not want his family..LIVING.

He made the decision to exterminate them and then he planned and planned. And one night he climbed the stairs and started with Sheri. Beat her and struggled to throttle the life out of her. Then finished and went for his sons. Sat around for a new day to start so he could establish his alibi.

Monster cold.

Chris Coleman, if guilty, cannot be moved even for a moment from that Monster category. This crime is about intense CONTROL..not loss of control. The deaths of his wife and children were calculated over a very long time. Night after night for months, he participated in family life...received good night kisses and hugs from his sons, read their report cards, watched them open Christmas gifts...while he perfected a plan to exterminate them.

This crime is different. This is NOT white hot rage that leads to tragedy; this is a monumental COLDNESS that chills even those of us who read of this crime..to the bone. It’s the ultimate horror story of the Monster...lurking behind the loving mask.

Interesting take on things. Your reasoning about the Coleman case is exactly why I was fascinated by the Scott Peterson case. I will grant you that seeds of doubt about premeditation in the Peterson case exist, but I believed he planned it. And it is hard to fathom an individual who can do something so heinous to someone they took vows with, was intimate with, laughed and loved with.

However, if we rate these cases on how horrible they are, Coleman surpasses Peterson because of the children. Granted, SP killed his unborn son, but that was a child that he had not yet bonded with. Coleman had two sons who loved him, looked up to him, he held them, played with them, there was a relationship there that did not yet exist between Scott and his unborn son.

It's sad when we can rate heinous crimes by their level of horribleness......

I often think of the Jeffrey McDonald case. Even in that case, there was evidence of a huge fight and one of the children came in the bedroom and witnessed a fatal argument. There wasn't any evidence that McDonald coldly planned the murders of his family.

On top of it all, here was a man who worked for an organization who taught about a loving God and the importance of high values. It just astounds me that such evil was lurking in the midst. It reminds me a scripture verse that warns "beware of wolves in sheep's clothing". I really would like to know more from those who knew him on a daily basis and if they saw any signs of his evil. Any at all.

I often think of the Jeffrey McDonald case. Even in that case, there was evidence of a huge fight and one of the children came in the bedroom and witnessed a fatal argument. There wasn't any evidence that McDonald coldly planned the murders of his family.

On top of it all, here was a man who worked for an organization who taught about a loving God and the importance of high values. It just astounds me that such evil was lurking in the midst. It reminds me a scripture verse that warns "beware of wolves in sheep's clothing". I really would like to know more from those who knew him on a daily basis and if they saw any signs of his evil. Any at all.

BBM - So would I. Additionally, I would like to hear from people who went to school with him to see if he was an angry child, or if he suffered some trauma causing him to shut himself off from real feelings. (Sorry, Tara, but what he felt for you was LUST, not love.) It's not an excuse for what he did, but maybe it would help us see how someone could do what he did. The most we can hope from this crime is that we will learn something from it that we can put to use with our children. This world contains a lot of angry people who bully, bomb and beat up others for no reason other than it's what they want to do.

Check out St. Louis Post-Dispatch's (www.stltoday.com) comments section attached to CC stories. You can learn so much about CC, his childhood, his family, his current family's problems, his "ministry" . . . cold, calculated man! But stupid . . .

Sheep in wolf's clothing is right!

I agree, that verse is a perfect description. There are a lot of people who have been raised with strict religious values and end up rebelling against those who raised them and their values. I knew such a person who rebelled against his parents by doing everything the church they brought him up with said not to do - including drinking which turned him into an alcoholic, and with that having an affair. I believe the same thing happened with Chris Coleman. He probably got a thrill from walking on the dark side by having an affair and seeing how much he could do without getting caught and losing his six-figure income. He probably never wanted a wife and family but it was something he was "supposed to do". He probably never wanted to work for Joyce Meyers, but she paid him a lot of money. And the love of money became for him the root of all evil. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back