Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 31UFFL
http://doenetwork.org/cases/31uffl.html
NamUs UP Case 6251 https://identifyus.org/cases/6251

31UFFL.jpg

Sketch of Victim

# Unidentified White Female Discovered on March 15, 1979 in Bahia Honda Key, Monroe County, Florida.
# Her death was a possible death by drowning or suicide.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 17 - 25 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 110-115 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes; Auburn/brown, shoulder length, curly hair. Thin, brown eyebrows. Healthy. Healed scar on fingernail of left index finger.
* Clothing: Blue Lee jeans, size 30x32A and a black tank top shirt, size small, Eclipse brand, made in Korea.
* Fingerprints: Available.
* Dentals: Available.

Case History
This unidentified female was located under the south end of Bahia Honda Bridge, washed up on the rocks. She had been in the water for several hours, there were no signs of real trauma.
It's possible she just drowned while out swimming, but not likely. She was wearing jeans.

Agency Case Number:
79-00020

NCIC Number:
U-274388067

NamUs just created a casefile for Mary Jimmie "Bobo" Shinn. I had seen an online article mentioning her disappearance, and I've been trying for several months to find a photo of her. I'm glad to see her casefile finally listed in NamUs.

Looking through the UID list, I saw this case, and realized that she looks quite a bit like Bobo Shinn.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/10738/1

31UFFL.jpg

Her height is also within an inch, and her age is just above the upper limit for the Jane Doe.

I'm still a little doubtful due to the 1-year lag, the considerable distance, and the lack of mention of a scar on the UID's cheek. Also, I had read several months ago that her body was believed to have been dropped into a well somewhere.

But nevertheless, I saw that there wasn't a thread for this case, so I started one, and am putting Mary up for comment.

Perhaps she was held prisoner on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico and jumped overboard to try to swim to freedom while her captor was sleeping.

I sent this one in to Todd Matthews (NamUs Case Manager for Bobo Shinn's MP casefile). He replied as follows:

Good eye - see attached.

This was one of the 303 possible matches suggested by the system.

I'm weeding through - hoping to get some dental radiographs to speed things along. Some exclusions we can make through code - but some need the x-rays for the final word.

Glad you started a thread for Bahia Honda Key, Jane Doe. You have an excellent eye, Carl. The drawing of her very much resembles Bobo Shinn.

I stumbled across the story of Bobo Shinn's disappearance elsewhere today, oddly enough. A pretty good case could be made that she may have been killed by James Michael Debardeleben, born in Little Rock, AR 1940, a known serial killer, counterfeiter, rapist, sadist, and the list goes on. He was first charged with attempted murder in 1956 when he was 16 years old, but it didn't stick.

His first known kill was a realtor in Bossier City in 1971, Terry McDonald. It was later learned he killed another realtor, raped another, yet he was never tried for murder. He was more infamously known as the Mall Passer to he Secret Service. They put him away for 375 years in 1983 or 1984 for counterfeiting and other crimes. He died in prison in January 2011 of pneumonia. It wasn't until after the Secret Service found his counterfeiting press that his activities as a sexual predator were discovered.

Debardeleben crossed 38 states in 9 days passing bogus $20 bills. He was all over the place from Texas, to Oklahoma, Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, and all up and down the east coast.

As serial killers go, he was relatively unknown, and it is thought that he committed many more crimes against women than will ever be attributed to him. He was smart, organized, and versatile, sometimes posing as a LEO. He liked to keep some of his victims awhile and torture them. Killed some; let some go.

I don't know if he ever made it down to Florida, would imagine a guy like him could be anywhere in short order. This guy, a sexual sadist, could almost make Ted Bundy look like a choirboy.

Bossier is only about an hour and a half southwest of Magnolia, where Shinn went missing so I guess with the murder of realtor, Terry McDonald in Bossier, it could be said he was in the neighborhood at one time or another, and is definitely someone who could be considered a suspect.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/debardeleben/index_1.html

There's a time line posted on the web, but it's a PDF file, and I don't know how to link to it. There's also a video series 1-10 on Youtube, but I don't know how to link to that without it automatically embedding--now illegal from what I've heard.

Maybe this post shouldn't be on this thread. If there's a better place for it, MOD, please move it.
Thanks,
jt

Here's another pretty decent possible for the Bahia Honda Jane Doe:

Nancy Lynn Jason

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3142dfmd.html

NancyJason.jpg
31UFFL.jpg

* Her circumstances indicate that she may have gone to Florida with a cult.
* She was last seen about a year and a half before Jane Doe was located.
* Age, hair color, eye color, and apparent hairstyle are consistent.
* Her height is a couple of inches off.
* She very strongly resembles the drawing.

Here's another pretty decent possible for the Bahia Honda Jane Doe:

Nancy Lynn Jason

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3142dfmd.html

NancyJason.jpg
31UFFL.jpg

* Her circumstances indicate that she may have gone to Florida with a cult.
* She was last seen about a year and a half before Jane Doe was located.
* Age, hair color, eye color, and apparent hairstyle are consistent.
* Her height is a couple of inches off.
* She very strongly resembles the drawing.

I think she is a strong possibility. Nothing to automatically rule her out. Let us know what you find. Circumstances and composite make me think its definetely worth submitting.

Also, she must have been well cared for at one point if she had extractions and porcelain crowns :( 16-19 seems very young to have developed emphysema unless she started smoking at an extremely young age.

The only documented (WS) submission is post #3 from 2011. No rule outs on NamUs..... Seems the morgue photo could be released with victim in water for just a few hours... Bahia Jane needs to go home!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back