Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy story

peeples

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...ephen-hawking-says-afterlife-is-a-fairy-story

I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first. I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.

I have no other comment other than I am with you on this and thanks just wasn't enough.

Can you imagine his shock, lol! I wish I could see the look on his "face" so-to-speak when he sees the Truth. I've always said I'd rather believe and be wrong than not believe and be wrong. Yeah, he is in for QUITE the surprise.

Can you imagine his shock, lol! I wish I could see the look on his "face" so-to-speak when he sees the Truth. I've always said I'd rather believe and be wrong than not believe and be wrong. Yeah, he is in for QUITE the surprise.

How do you know that your beliefs are the truth and Hawking's beliefs are false?

By the way, Peeples, I apologize for attributing Hawking's comments to you directly. I didn't see he was the one who said it was for people afraid of the dark. Sorry for that.

That being said, if Hawking can show me a computer that can accidentally invent itself, then maybe he is on to something.

By the way, Peeples, I apologize for attributing Hawking's comments to you directly. I didn't see he was the one who said it was for people afraid of the dark. Sorry for that.

That being said, if Hawking can show me a computer that can accidentally invent itself, then maybe he is on to something.

I appreciate your view that the universe is evidence of a creative intelligence. It's primarily an aesthetic argument, but I basically agree.

Just to be clear and fair to Hawking, however, principles of evolution don't hold that anything "accidentally" invented itself.

For the record, since science has no way of observing supernatural phenomena, Hawking is no more expert on the subject than I.

I choose to believe we survive our bodies; if death proves me wrong so be it. The joke will be on me, but I won't be aware to be embarrassed about it.

Boy is HE in for a surprise soon, lol!

I believe so too. No one can tell me there is NOT an after-life. I've witnessed it first hand.

When mum died, we were cleaning out the house. Guess she got a little PO'd and came back to tell us so, or just to see what we were up to. She was sitting in her favourite chair, with her beautiful pink sweater on, hair perfect (she looked at least 10 years younger). Not only did I see it, but we have it on camera, and there were 5 others. I think it was her way of saying good-bye and checking on us before crossing over. Mum didn't stay long, and I haven't seen her since -- but every once in awhile I'll get a whiff of her perfume or cigarette. It's nice.

I absolutely believe there's an after-life, and I think it's going to be a beautiful thing :)

Hugs,

Mel

I've always wondered if there is nothing after life for those that don't believe there is something after life. Where do the atheists go? Does Hawking claim to be an atheist? I'm so curious about these things.

I remember seeing Stephen Hawking say that Darwinism is "unscientific" in one interview. That was interesting since he is an evolutionist. :waitasec:

I know it to be true. It saddens me all the wonderful caring people that will miss it. Gods love for us is the greatest thing there is. All you have to do is sincerely ask him yourself and he will show you. Such a simple thing to do but a great loss if you do not. If you knew him you would know it is true.

I've always wondered if there is nothing after life for those that don't believe there is something after life. Where do the atheists go? Does Hawking claim to be an atheist? I'm so curious about these things.

Atheists would go to hell. The spent their life without God, so they would spend eternity without Him. Their own lack of faith would be what condemned them.

I appreciate your view that the universe is evidence of a creative intelligence. It's primarily an aesthetic argument, but I basically agree.

Just to be clear and fair to Hawking, however, principles of evolution don't hold that anything "accidentally" invented itself.

For the record, since science has no way of observing supernatural phenomena, Hawking is no more expert on the subject than I.

I choose to believe we survive our bodies; if death proves me wrong so be it. The joke will be on me, but I won't be aware to be embarrassed about it.

A well worded response, as usual. :)

If you go back far enough, it really does come down to either intelligence or randomness. Nothing can create itself, so either someone created it deliberately, or it happened basically by accident. There isn't much gray area.

And you are correct, scientists cannot disprove the supernatural any more than I can prove it (although I could probably provide more evidence via people's experiences than they could.) But we must remember that lack of evidence is not evidence of lack, anyways. But he goes too far by describing belief in the afterlife in such an insulting way.

In fairness, more the former than the latter. (For you and for me.)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

People often mistakenly think that faith/belief and reason/logic are mutually exclusive, and that an increase in the former equals a decrease in the latter. This is not true, as very often it is because of someone's reasoning that their faith actually increases. It sometimes just makes more sense after careful examination.

What's logical about Heaven and Hell?

Relative to the big picture? When people's experiences/visions/etc. over the centuries are taken into account and blended with everything else, it is certainly not illogical whatsoever.

So an atheist who leads a upstanding life goes to hell but some serial killer who begs for forgiveness when he dies is going to heaven?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back