Vatican "suggests" bishops report sexual abuse to police

Missizzy

Reaction score
What a groundbreaking idea!! Report the sexual abuse of children to LE. The key word, however, is suggests. How sad. The bishops still get to decide what does and what does not get reported.

How hard can it be to mandate an immediate report?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516...DeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA3ZhdGljYW5zdWdnZQ--

Vatican suggests bishops report abuse to police

"The Vatican told bishops around the world Monday that it is important to cooperate with police in reporting priests who rape and molest children and asked them to develop guidelines for preventing sex abuse by next May.
But the letter from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith made no provision to ensure the bishops actually follow the guidelines, and victims groups immediately denounced the recommendations as "dangerously flawed" because they stress the exclusive authority of bishops to determine the credibility of abuse allegations...."

more at link

Not much teeth in those guidelines, IMO. Here's a recent commentary:

http://ncronline.org/blogs/examinin...icans-new-abuse-guidelines-will-change-little

Ten reasons the Vatican's new abuse guidelines will change little

"In a circular letter to the world's bishops released today, the Vatican's Congregation for Doctrine of the Faith has asked every bishops' conference in the world to prepare "guidelines" for dealing with cases of sexual abuse of minors by clergy. I believe that the guidelines will change very little in how the Catholic church handles these cases. Here are 10 reasons why I think that...."

more at link (including some interesting, sad, and awful comments)

Possibly, but see my newest post on the Ratigan thread. Read Bishop Finn's statement carefully.

Oh he suggests they report a crime??? If someone steals from the church, does he also suggest that they report that to the police???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back