GUILTY CA - Danielle Mailloux for stabbing 6-wk-old baby, Bakersfield, 2011

Oh, that breaks my heart. Thankfully, the little one is in stable condition. I'm so hopeful that baby will make it. New mothers and knives....

You just have to wonder about PPD or psychosis at 6 weeks. Six weeks is typically a fussy time as the baby is going through a growth spurt. No amount of milk seems to be enough. I believe that I've read that 6 weeks and 12 weeks are two of the most common times for violence. So so sad.....

Oh, that breaks my heart. Thankfully, the little one is in stable condition. I'm so hopeful that baby will make it. New mothers and knives....

You just have to wonder about PPD or psychosis at 6 weeks. Six weeks is typically a fussy time as the baby is going through a growth spurt. No amount of milk seems to be enough. I believe that I've read that 6 weeks and 12 weeks are two of the most common times for violence. So so sad.....

According to the news report, this woman had a still born baby two years ago. Methamphetemines caused it but because the child died before birth, the mother was not charged. The neighbors also indicated that the dad had called 911 on himself two weeks before this incident. He was threatening murder/suicide. It's a shame they left the baby in this household.

The mom used a kitchen knife to stab the baby multiple times. I'm guessing that's why the damage wasn't worse since a kitchen knife isn't very sharp. The father came home and discovered the abuse and he called the police. That was all in the video report on the linked page.

I just don't understand people and why they hurt children. If the baby was crying she should have taken the baby and herself to the ER for help before she decided to stab it. I am so sick of reading these stories of people hurting little children.

Unless you've watched full blown PPD "in action", it's terribly hard to imagine it. An excellent and very forthright book on the subject is Heather Armstrong's "It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita". She also has a blog under the name Dooce. She's a former Mormon who writes about the trials, tribulations and joys of parenthood. I highly recommend the book as I've never read a better description of a woman who has everything right going for her, falling victim to mental illness caused by PPD. Be aware that there's occasional "language". She's quite the character.

Having a baby takes a toll on a woman's body and mind! When I was pregnant I went through a really bad depression. I had to see a doctor, because I kept having suicidal thoughts. After my baby was born it got worse, my husband was working about 3 hours away and whenever he would come to see us and then he would leave I would have panic attacks and I kept thinking he was going to leave me. After a couple more sessions and no medication, thank god I was back to normal.

No one in my family knew, I kept it a secret.

UGHHH just sterilize these "people"

Eyewitness News obtained reports showing Mailloux was investigated in 2009 when she had a stillborn baby.

Bakersfield police were called at that time because of unusual circumstances surrounding the death, according to the Kern County coroner's office report. Officers questioned both the mother and father, and the autopsy showed the infant died because of drug exposure through the womb.

The stillborn baby had methamphetamine in its system,

MorenoI--Thank you for sharing that experience. I admire you greatly for doing so. It's hard for many to comprehend. I had three babies by birth and was thankfully spared but one of my daughters-by-marriage experienced it. She is the sweetest and most loving mother and yet when her first little guy was about 5 weeks old, she lost it. I remember her calling me at 3 am (our son was working) and crying. I couldn't even understand her. I was not sick yet and raced over there. She was a literal mess. The baby was screaming, she was crying, the house was a mess, and she wasn't eating (but was nursing non-stop). I fed her, calmed her down, put her in a big coat and sent her to sit on the porch to "breathe". I cleaned the house, settled the baby (he was upset because his Momma was) and waited for my son to come home. Next day, she got on meds and was back to normal within three weeks. We all pitched in during those three long weeks. I thank God to this day that she called. I'll never forget how ashamed she was.

And there's nothing shameful about it. How I wish more doctors (midwives already do) would talk to their patients about this very real possibility. Our daughter didn't suffer from it during her second pregnancy and the third baby, a little girl, died shortly after birth (with a disorder possibly connected to mine). She grieved terribly, as we all did, but it was very different than PPD. Our grandsons are doing very well.

More women need to speak up about this "secret" problem. It's not all rainbows and lollipops, that's for sure. Nothing is when hormones are involved. American women are so often cut off from their female relatives and support system and are terribly isolated after birth. All many know is the fantasy where we're supposed to just go skipping into the sunset with our beautiful and happy baby but that's so rarely the case. When reality is different, we think we've failed in some way.

As to this woman, my guess is that the meth seriously affected her hormones and sense of reality. This baby needs to be in a safe place. Why these babies are released from the hospital to moms "on the edge" is beyond me. If anyone sees an update, please post.

I had horrible PPD. It blindsided me terrible. I am ashamed and cry as I write this. No one even knows the horrible thoughts I had towards my baby. If I am a mother again I will seek help. I was in denial. I hated myself, my baby. How could I hate my baby??? I think this now, but when I had PPD it was if I was possessed by a demon. I feel so guilty. I was kinda standoffish towards my son for at least a few months. maybe it was cause he was a premiee and in the hospital for 2 months. But I thought PPD was only like the first 3 months. Not for me It lasted for 6 months I think.

My bub is now almost 13 months and I would kill for my son. I love him like i've never ever loved anyone. I just think back to that time and thank God I didnt do anything crazy.

That sentence is just wrong..what is wrong with our justice system..when a person willing takes a drug and tries to kill her baby,,gets 9 months....I am angry to!!!!WOW
Watch she will get pregnant again!!!

9 months!!!!! You must be kidding me. So they bought the PPD and somehow forgot about the meth in her system, which tends to make you crazy. Wonderful job, justice system. Not. When she murders or attempts to murder a third child, will you do something then, or let her off for some stupid reason again?

March 2013:

Danielle Nichole Mailloux cuts a far different figure today than the meth-addicted woman who was sentenced in January 2012 for stabbing her baby.

She looks healthy, having spent the past 18 months drug free. She's met all the requirements of her sentence, including graduating from a year-long rehabilitation facility, attending parenting classes and receiving psychiatric counseling...

Raimondo said Mailloux's two children are fine and remain in the custody of a family member....

[Judge] Brehmer said when he sentenced Mailloux that it was clear postpartum depression was partly responsible for leading her to use meth again.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/201...aby-has-turned-life-around-attorney-says.html

Wow...hard to imagine a man suffering from depression and using meth getting off so lightly after stabbing a baby.

Wow it's like send them to classes and let them go merrily on their way, then what happens?

Actually, those court-approved one year rehabs have a far greater success rate for those who make it through the whole year, as opposed to a 1-3 week hospital stay. Maybe this story will have a better outcome than most. But I agree she needs to live out in the real world for some time before she is allowed to start any contact with her child.

I'm thrilled she's doing better but her possibly getting her kids back worries me...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back