Resolved IA - Dow City, Human Skeletal, in bags in warehouse, May'11 - Very old

Snufamonbobball

But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sou
Reaction score
http://www.action3news.com/story/14665826/bags-of-bones-discovered-in-dow-city-building

Dow City, IA - A warehouse becomes the center of a mystery in Dow City, Iowa. Someone found a bag of bones inside the old building late Monday. The Crawford County Medical Examiner concludes they are human.

Someone makes a chilling discovery in a musty, dark, building that has the town talking. "It could be a cold case yes," explained Sheriff James Steinkuehler.

On a dusty shelf sat human bones had been stuffed into two old bread bags. Sheriff Steinkuehler calls the find "disturbing". "The one bag had a couple what I call the leg bones," Sheriff Steinkuehler said while pointing to his lower leg.

More...

thanks! My mother in law emailed me to tell me all about it this morning LOL

The link in the OP has gone to link heaven but one bag of bones was found in a blue barrel. The building used to belong to a man called Melvin Kuehnhold who died.

“We have no idea who put them in there, why they were in there,” said Chief Deputy Mike Bremser of the Crawford County Sheriff's Office. “He (was) a hoarder, essentially. Who knows if he even knew what was in those bags?”

Authorities and witnesses said the bones appeared to be finger bones, toe bones, a leg bone, a jawbone and two shoulder blades.

Kuehnhold, a resident of nearby Denison, owned the building since at least 2003. Soon after buying the building he began moving in items from another property he owned in Oakland, Neb., locals say.

He would frequently go to flea-market type sales, buying up items others thought were merely junk at bargain prices, figuring he could later sell it off and make money, said his brother, Vernon Kuehnhold, 84, of Denison.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110519/NEWS01/705199867

Thanks for the new link Donjeta!

I'm not holding my breath for any info on these bones to be released anytime soon. LE here never says anything about anything until it's been forever and ever.

In fact, our cold case unit is about to be disbanded because of a lack of funds. They had 2 detectives, and it was started in 2008, but with no arrests or forward movement in the numerous cold cases here, their funding was axed. Unless funding is found, Oct. 31 is when their funds run out. I think it's very sad, as there are so many unsolved cases here. Granted the cold cases are stranger homicides and kidnappings, and those are more difficult to solve, but I still think it's really sad and was a worthwhile program.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130913/NEWS/130919318/1016

PUBLISHED FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2013 AT 2:57 PM / UPDATED AT 8:56 PM
By Andrew J. Nelson / World-Herald staff writer

<snipped>
The bones showed no sign of having been washed, meaning they were likely not used for medical instruction.

The center will conduct DNA molecular identification of the bones. Once that is completed, the DNA profiles will be uploaded to the Unidentified Human Remains Index and the Combined DNA Index System Missing Persons DNA Database.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back