UNSOLVED AL - Russell Co, (Ghost?) Child, >10, Bones Found in Mobile Home Floor, Oct'04

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A Russell County fifth-grader is convinced bones found in her home last weekend belong to a mysterious friend who told her about being chopped up years ago.

Investigators have few clues about how and when the bones got inside insulation under the living room floor of the mobile home on Jowers Road, near East Alabama Motor Speedway.

The 10-year-old, Stephanie Ogden, and her family have lived in the home since 1998. Her great-grandparents, John and Marion Stewart, own the home.

The bones were found Saturday as the Ogdens, who are renovating the home, pulled up boards in the living room floor. Russell County Sheriff's Lt. Heath Taylor said an initial analysis shows the bones are from the pelvis and leg of a child at least 10 years old, and the child has been dead at least 10 years.

Another bone was found Sunday, Marion Stewart said. The area where the bones were found had duct tape over the insulation, Stewart said.

"There's an odor there that doesn't belong," Stewart said.

The bones probably don't have enough marrow to do DNA tests, Taylor said. Because the trailer has been moved several times between Georgia and Alabama, investigators now are faced with the daunting task of trying to track down missing children from a wide area in two states.

Taylor said gnaw marks on the bones may indicate a rodent placed them inside the insulation. Dirt and plant material on the bones indicate they were outside at one time, Taylor said.

Stephanie said a black girl in a white dress started visiting her room when she was about 5 years old. The girl was friendly, but she told Stephanie a horrible story.

"She told me that somebody put her in the floor," Stephanie said. "She said he had a mask on, and that he chopped her up. She didn't know who the person was, because he had a mask on."

Stephanie, a fifth-grader at Dixie Elementary School, now thinks that the bones that were found in her home belong to her playmate.

"It's possible because that girl was a ghost," Stephanie said Monday. "Nobody knows about them."

Marion Stewart said Stephanie used to tell her family about the visitor, but the adults always dismissed the stories as being an imaginative child's fabrication based partly on horror movies. Stewart said Stephanie used to always ask for two glasses of soda when she would play outside -- one glass for her and one for her friend.

Stewart said the weekend's grisly discoveries have convinced her that her great-granddaughter's playmate is actually a tormented soul seeking peace.

"I'm not a psychic, and I don't believe in some of that stuff," Stewart said. "But I believe this is a soul who has not been put to rest."

Taylor said detectives can't base their work on ghost stories.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/local/9836697.htm

Hi there...I posted this the other day on the bizarre forum too.. it is kind of a ghost story as well... spooky.

Hope they find out who the little girl is and where she belongs.. the trailer has been moved quite a bit, it will be a tough job.

WOW! What a strange story. I am praying that LE will be able to trace her identity. The poor, poor child.

What databases could they use to track missing kids in that area?

OMG, if you don't believe in ghosts, you will after reading this. I would think this would be easy to trace, just find previous owners of the trailer. Poor child, I hope she rests in peace.

I'd love to hear more from the little girl. More stories about her "friend". And whoever said this should be easy to solve, I agree. I think trailers are registered much like cars so maybe there will be more on this story soon.

I got the chills too! But also it broke my heart to think of a child, even if it is the spirit of a child saying "a man out me in the floor and chopped me up".
What horrors there are in this world :( :( :(

Thanks to Jen at Cybersleuths for finding this incredible story.

Girl says bones belong to ghost

Investigators unsure how possible human remains got inside insulation

BY MELANIE BENNETT

Staff Writer

A Russell County fifth-grader is convinced bones found in her home last weekend belong to a mysterious friend who told her about being chopped up years ago.

Investigators have few clues about how and when the bones got inside insulation under the living room floor of the mobile home on Jowers Road, near East Alabama Motor Speedway.

The 10-year-old, Stephanie Ogden, and her family have lived in the home since 1998. Her great-grandparents, John and Marion Stewart, own the home.

The bones were found Saturday as the Ogdens, who are renovating the home, pulled up boards in the living room floor. Russell County Sheriff's Lt. Heath Taylor said an initial analysis shows the bones are from the pelvis and leg of a child at least 10 years old, and the child has been dead at least 10 years.

Another bone was found Sunday, Marion Stewart said. The area where the bones were found had duct tape over the insulation, Stewart said.

The bones probably don't have enough marrow to do DNA tests, Taylor said. Because the trailer has been moved several times between Georgia and Alabama, investigators now are faced with the daunting task of trying to track down missing children from a wide area in two states.

*snip*

Stephanie said a black girl in a white dress started visiting her room when she was about 5 years old. The girl was friendly, but she told Stephanie a horrible story.

"She told me that somebody put her in the floor," Stephanie said. "She said he had a mask on, and that he chopped her up. She didn't know who the person was, because he had a mask on."

Stephanie, a fifth-grader at Dixie Elementary School, now thinks that the bones that were found in her home belong to her playmate.

"It's possible because that girl was a ghost," Stephanie said Monday. "Nobody knows about them."

Marion Stewart said Stephanie used to tell her family about the visitor, but the adults always dismissed the stories as being an imaginative child's fabrication based partly on horror movies. Stewart said Stephanie used to always ask for two glasses of soda when she would play outside -- one glass for her and one for her friend.

*snip*

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/local/9836697.htm

I really want to follow this. What an interesting story don't you think?

I think it's fascinating and would love to be able to talk to the little girl. Someone else posted this here a few days ago, so if anything more develops, I'm sure we will find out!

Sally said:
I think it's fascinating and would love to be able to talk to the little girl. Someone else posted this here a few days ago, so if anything more develops, I'm sure we will find out!

Whoops. Sorry. I didn't realize it had already been posted. I am a dork. I can't help it. LOL

Tricia said:
Whoops. Sorry. I didn't realize it had already been posted. I am a dork. I can't help it. LOL
It's a great story Tricia, and spooky!!

Hi
This story has really bothered me since I read it.Did they ever identify these skeletal remains?

suzanne

Unidentified Child, deceased, AL

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com

Posted on Tue, Oct. 05, 2004

Investigators unsure how possible human remains got inside insulation

BY MELANIE BENNETT

Staff Writer

Taylor said gnaw marks on the bones may indicate a rodent placed them inside the insulation. Dirt and plant material on the bones indicate they were outside at one time, Taylor said.

I did a search with the google archives and there is an apparent follow-up article stating that the bones may never get an ID. It costs 2.95 to view the article, so I was unable to read it. The link is really long and nasty, but I found it through searching for "Marion Stewart". There seem to be a couple of follow-up articles but it seems the child hasn't been posted on any sites nor identified.

How sad! A little girl trying to connect with another and nothing is known about her but bones were found of a little girl. Someone lost a little girl somewhere. Spirits are really what they are not ghosts.

Hi
I agree with you.It is very sad.I am wondering if they know for sure if the bones were from a girl.Maybe we can find out who she is.

suzanne

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back