Patsy maxing out John's credit cards and then hiding them?

Shanny

Reaction score
I remember long ago on another JonBenet board a girl was saying 6 months before JonBenet died, that Patsy & John were arguing and angry at each other. The girl said the reason was because Patsy was spending Johns money like it was water and John was in deep debt. Patsy was maxing out Johns credit cards buying JonBenets pageant outfits and other exspensive things then taking the cards and bills and hiding them. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is does anyone have proof or a source on this?

This is a quote from Jim Marino who worked at Access Graphics:

Patsy also redecorated their vacation home in Charlevoix, on Lake Michigan. "The only time I ever saw John really lose his temper was about Patsy and money," says Marino. "he would throw the credit cards on his desk and say, 'She's gonna spend every last penny I make.' "

Here's another interesting quote:

Although the Ramsey's had been Presbyterians, they joined St. John's Episcopal Church. "Social climbing," says Marino sadly; "she wanted to be where the money was.' Friends were dropped as well, replaced by attractive, wealthy Boulderites. Marino says, "I was never invited to his house. John and I were 'Let's get a beer down at the local pub after work."

Patsy's mother Nedra also made comments about JR having to make money so they (she and Patsy) could spend it. It was something on the order of "loving spending all JR's money". I'm sure someone here remembers it or has it saved.

Patsy's mother Nedra also made comments about JR having to make money so they (she and Patsy) could spend it. It was something on the order of "loving spending all JR's money". I'm sure someone here remembers it or has it saved.
One day, in ’95 or ’96, Nedra took me upstairs. “Judith, you’ve got to see this.” She showed me Patsy’s closet. Nearby there was a display—almost a shrine. Pictures of Miss West Virginia. Patsy in every phase of her pageant days. Lots of paraphernalia on the walls. It surprised me.
Then there was the time Nedra pulled this little cowboy outfit out of the closet.
“This is not JonBenét’s,” I said. “What’s it for?”
“Well, Judith, we’re just getting JonBenét into a few pageants.”
“Why would you do something like that?”
“You know, she’s not too young to get started.”
“And what if JonBenét isn’t willing?” I asked. “What if she says, ‘I’m not going to do it!’ How would you respond to that?”
“Oh, Judith, we would never consider her saying no. We would tell JonBenét, ‘You must do it. You will be a Miss Pageant.’”
It was sort of eerie. A little scary. The inevitability of it—from grandmother to mother and now to daughter.
Another time, Nedra was so excited about this little antique chair that JonBenét had picked out in Denver. JonBenét and Nedra had been shopping, and JonBenét insisted on buying this chair. Nedra was so happy that the child had selected something, that her granddaughter was showing signs of exquisite taste.
It was obnoxiously expensive. Thousands. For a child’s chair.
“Well, as long as Mr. Ramsey brings the money in,” Nedra said, “we’ll spend it.”
—Judith Phillips
Perfect Murder, Perfect Town, Lawrence Schiller, pages 248 - 249

This is from an interview with Linda Wilcox:

"Actually, Nedra was a hoot. I really loved her. She was just a cool lady. I can remember a lot of times, I'd be there just as John was leaving. He'd just be leaving and I would walk in to the kitchen and set my caddy down. One of Nedra's favorite phrases was, "John Ramsey go earn that money!"

I guess Nedra was planning on spending her son-in-law's money....

This is a quote from Jim Marino who worked at Access Graphics:

Although the Ramsey's had been Presbyterians, they joined St. John's Episcopal Church. "Social climbing," says Marino sadly; "she wanted to be where the money was.' Friends were dropped as well, replaced by attractive, wealthy Boulderites. Marino says, "I was never invited to his house. John and I were 'Let's get a beer down at the local pub after work."

Are Episcopals demographically wealthier than Presbyterians? :waitasec: I'm a born and bred conservative Presbyterian, but we have every economic piece of the spectrum represented amongst us.

Are Episcopals demographically wealthier than Presbyterians? :waitasec: I'm a born and bred conservative Presbyterian, but we have every economic piece of the spectrum is represented amongst us.
I think he just meant that St. John's Episcopalian church was the "church of choice" for a certain sector of society in Boulder at that time - not that the denomination is preferred by social climbers anywhere else, or in particular. At least, that's my take on it - I don't know the demographics, as such. I was raised in the Episcopalian church, and all income groups were present in the congregations I was part of.

It wouldn't suprise me to learn that patsy was a spenaholic and possibly even supporting some of her relatives as just one of the dozens of secrets.

I think money may have been a real issue between them. PR helped build that company, and for JR to say, 'she's gonna spend every last penny I make', comes across, IMO, as ungrateful. He should have considered the money as income that they both played a role in earning. And if he was as wealthy as reported, then I don't see what the problem was. Even if PR spent thousand upon thousands, on pageants, it was still just a drop in the bucket. After all this happened, JR was always willing to talk about how much he had suffered, and it almost always dealt with money and material things...his job, scaling down his house, getting rid of his plane, living on his boat. And exactly what kind of boat was this? Not a little fishing boat, for sure. And all of this, of course, makes me think about the ransom amount. 118,000 dollars. 'JR's' bonus. I've wondered if he bragged to PR and called it His money? Anyway, IMO, they were money focused, and the ransom amount, was another clue to the author. moo

In their television interviews, there always seems to be a leaden hostility between them...although they do the requisite hand-holding thing. I think that PR would have used spending sprees as a form of passive aggression against JR - he was emotionally withholding, and spending money was a sure way to get a rise out of him. She probably also felt that she deserved to buy whatever that she wanted, in recompense for the aridity of her emotional life. She could barely contain her rage in interviews, and one shudders to think what she (and he, of course) were like at home. MOO.

In their television interviews, there always seems to be a leaden hostility between them...although they do the requisite hand-holding thing. I think that PR would have used spending sprees as a form of passive aggression against JR - he was emotionally withholding, and spending money was a sure way to get a rise out of him. She probably also felt that she deserved to buy whatever that she wanted, in recompense for the aridity of her emotional life. She could barely contain her rage in interviews, and one shudders to think what she (and he, of course) were like at home. MOO.

LHP used to say that she hated to hear JB and Patsy yelling in the bathroom after JB had had another accident. Jb was said to sass-mouth Patsy and some of Patsy's friends spoke about Patsy's temper- she could fly off the handle.

LHP used to say that she hated to hear JB and Patsy yelling in the bathroom after JB had had another accident. Jb was said to sass-mouth Patsy and some of Patsy's friends spoke about Patsy's temper- she could fly off the handle.
Yes. And whenever I read this line in the RN: "Don't try to grow a brain, John" I sense that these are her words, and that this is the contempt in which she held him. She might even have said it to his face, from time-to-time.

Yes. And whenever I read this line in the RN: "Don't try to grow a brain, John" I sense that these are her words, and that this is the contempt in which she held him. She might even have said it to his face, from time-to-time.

It does seem so, right? Cuz try to imagine writing that part of the ransom letter yourself and using that sentence with your own name in it. Seems very awkward to do, doesn't it?

Although i usually try not to picture what i personally would do, as this is not about me and my thinking... But if it was me, and if I am writing the ransom letter .... And addressing it to me pretending to be the killer, I would tend to not put 'Don't try to grow a brain, Whaleshark'. But I can see her using that sentence as if she was thinking of the kidnapper saying that to John.. But would not consider using that verbiage to myself... Same thing if she was writing the note to herself - don't see her saying 'Don't try to grow a brain, Patsy'... If she was addressing it to herself...

But again, I see both authoring and writing the note at different points in the letter.

When I consider PR writing the note, this particular line, sounds like a threat, IMO, like she knew that he knew, that she could outsmart him at any turn. And then the,' It's up to you now John!', I took as kind of a pep talk and a plea... that she had done her part, and now it was time for him to do his part. Also, this is only time that I really considered that PR might have been covering for BR, because the note said, 'don't think that killing will be difficult. Don't underestimate US John.' All in all, the whole last paragraph strikes me as very personal, and almost like a private conversation. And when I read it, I can't imagine anybody but PR, writing those words. moo

Absolutely they are her words.

You can just hear them coming out of her mean little mouth.

If patsy wrote the note it is possible that she was on her cell phone with someone helping suggest what to say. Many women would only trust a mother, sister, someone who was shifty/secretive but also loved both kids in a weird way just like her.

I've been thinking about PR and money and the ransom note. Do we know when PR found out about JR's bonus? because in the note, it said, 'you will withdraw $118,000 from your account'. So, did JR put the whole amount in his own personal account? Did they not have a joint account? If he hadn't told her about the bonus, she would have been livid when she did find out, Or, if he put it all in his personal account and didn't split it with her, she would have been just as furious. Such a weird amount for ransom, and a pretty risky move, putting that amount in the note...but not risky at all, if she didn't 'know' about the bonus. If JR was as mad about the credit cards as his friend said, I could see him trying to keep the bonus a secret from PR... or showing it to her, but putting it out of her reach, in his own account. One thing that I find very angry about the note, is that it was written to, and intended for JR. None of those horrible things, was directed to PR. moo

I've wondered if the bonus was in some separate account. Banks used to only cover $150,000 in case of bank failure, so maybe that money was put in savings at a certain bank. The wealthy may not operate that way at all though with their extra money.

One thing that I find very angry about the note, is that it was written to, and intended for JR. None of those horrible things, was directed to PR. moo
Yes, the whole note reads like a diatribe against JR...formatted to distill every drop of venom gathered over the years. The tone is humiliating and belittling throughout, and strangely personal in its tone (considering it was supposed to have been written by "a small foreign faction" of outside agents). So creepy. MOO.

I don't remember reading about how the bonus money was dealt with (bank accounts, etc.).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back