IDI claims about the media

eileenhawkeye

Reaction score
There are two claims about the media that I have heard IDI posters make over and over. They don't really make any sense to me. Here are they are:

1.) The media pushed the RDI theory because the IDI theory is boring and won't sell.

I believe both theories are very fascinating, but I would give the nod to IDI. An intruder murdering a little girl in the basement on Christmas while her parents and brother are sleeping is more sensational and less common than parents accidentally killing their child and then covering it up. Plus, the media loves to scare parents and the IDI theory would terrify people because if it can happen to the Ramseys, it can happen to them.

2.) The media slowed down JonBenet's pageant videos to make them look more provocative.

Is there any video showing the difference between a normal JBR pageant video and a doctored one? I could see the tabloids editing stuff, but would CNN, FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC doctor the videos? And the videos have aired so many times, on so many shows, so is every video edited or just some of them? Also, just the fact that JonBenet was 6 and was wearing makeup and a showgirl costume is enough to get people outraged, but IDI acts like if the media showed non-doctored videos, everyone would love pageants. I believe this 'theory' was put forth in DOI but I never read it, so I'm not sure.

What do you think???

There are two claims about the media that I have heard IDI posters make over and over. They don't really make any sense to me. Here are they are:

1.) The media pushed the RDI theory because the IDI theory is boring and won't sell.

I believe both theories are very fascinating, but I would give the nod to IDI. An intruder murdering a little girl in the basement on Christmas while her parents and brother are sleeping is more sensational and less common than parents accidentally killing their child and then covering it up. Plus, the media loves to scare parents and the IDI theory would terrify people because if it can happen to the Ramseys, it can happen to them.

2.) The media slowed down JonBenet's pageant videos to make them look more provocative.

Is there any video showing the difference between a normal JBR pageant video and a doctored one? I could see the tabloids editing stuff, but would CNN, FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC doctor the videos? And the videos have aired so many times, on so many shows, so is every video edited or just some of them? Also, just the fact that JonBenet was 6 and was wearing makeup and a showgirl costume is enough to get people outraged, but IDI acts like if the media showed non-doctored videos, everyone would love pageants. I believe this 'theory' was put forth in DOI but I never read it, so I'm not sure.

What do you think???

Okay, I will go here but keep in mind that I don't like being categorized as I "am just like all other IDI's". Let's be clear on that. If other IDI's feel the way you suggest above, I don't need to be held to that.

1. I believe the media focused on RDI because the Police were pushing RDI and were leaking to them. The media should have been focusing more on the LE not containing the crime scene.

2. The media showed provocative videos and expressed them as provocative partially because they were. And beat it to death because it would sell.

I don't know if they were "slowed down", or why that would have made them MORE provocative (than they already were), but if that was the case, IMO I don't feel the film speed would have made any difference. The pageant videos were provocative regardless of the speed at which they were shown.

Out of interest, were child beauty pageants getting the same sort of media exposure prior to JBR's death?

It's been said many times in the media that most Americans didn't even know about child beauty pageants until JonBenet's murder. In 1995, there was a documentary made called "Painted Babies" about U.S. child beauty pageants but I believe it only aired in Britain. It followed two 5-year-olds, Brooke Breedwell and Asia Mansur. JonBenet and Brooke even competed in the same pageant.

In 2009, a little girl named Abby Eyman, who also participated in child beauty pageants, was found murdered. Her case barely made a blip on the local news, despite sharing the same factor that made JonBenet's murder into a huge media frenzy. I found this post on a pageant forum:

Photo Directors, Please if you have any photos of Abby Eyman posted on your sites Delete them!!!! The media is digging and we don't want this poor child expolited.

Abby was shot by her mother in a murder-suicide. I believe the case was resolved too quickly for it to become a huge story, but you would think that the pageant/JBR connection would at least get it a quick blip on the national news. I don't think the media ignored the case because they couldn't obtain pictures of Abby; because from what I've read, she was in many pageants and if the media really wanted to make it into a huge news event, they could easily obtain the videos. According to this pageant forum, Abby was huge in pageants and held many national titles, while JBR wasn't big in pageants at all.

Out of interest, were child beauty pageants getting the same sort of media exposure prior to JBR's death?

The media exposure was because of the MURDER, and the fact she was a "little beauty queen" was what caused the case to receive the attention that it did. The flashy showgirl outfits added to the frenzy.
Pageants are bigger in the Southern part of the US, not so much in other areas.
Years ago my own daughter received an "invitation" to participate in the Miss New Jersey Pre-Teen Pageant. Had no clue how the application came to us. Later we found it was because I had subscribed to a girl's magazine she liked, and the magazine had sold its mailing list. Dance schools also sell mailing lists. That was a very different kind of pageant than the "Glitz" pageants JB participated in. The "Glitz" pageants (like Toddlers and Tiaras) stress the adult-type make-up and outfits, fake hair and teeth, etc.

I also got something in the mail about participating in a pageant when I was around 9-11 years old. They weren't glitz pageants either, but when I asked my mom if I could do it, she said no way in hell lol

Now you're talking! I think that may have been the impetus behind the staging itself, eileen: to play on popular fears.

What do you think???

No, I'm pretty much with you.

Abby's case was open and shut and those of us who knew her are thankful that it was not national news as the family had to deal with 2 deaths and knowing their loved one took the life of that precious little girl. A Lot of us were contacted by the media wanting pics , interviews , videos etc and we refused not wanting this to be compared to JBR! Pageant people also actively pulled pictures of message boards , facebook etc so the media would not air those pictures. Abby's life was so much more than pageants as was JBR!
I understand what pageants look like to the outside world and Lord knows the crazies on Toddlers and Tiaras have not helped. I understand opinions of over sexualization but it is very hardn to explain to outsiders.
I have been active in pageants for many years and have a tween daughter who has competed mainly in Glitz since she was an infant. I promise you she is very well adjusted , a gifted student at the top of her class who is talented at so many things. She is also one of the few girls in her class not allowed to wear make up.When she is at a pageant that is like dress up not real life!
This really is just a few Saturday afternoons for us just like Patsy said! Same as it was for Abby same as it was for JBR. Pageants did not kill those girls! Their parents did.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back