Philly restaurant offers $100 cheesesteak

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Ready for the $100 cheesesteak? Purists might howl, but the well-heeled and adventurous can now dive into a sandwich that includes not just chopped steak and melted cheese but goose liver and truffles — at about 25 times the price of a traditional Philly cheesesteak.
Barclay Prime owner Stephen Starr admits the costly sandwich is a marketing ploy for his upscale steakhouse, which opened Tuesday on Rittenhouse Square in downtown Philadelphia. But he predicted there will be customers who actually order it.

"I believe you will have the rich guy in there who will say, 'Cheesesteaks for the table. And buy one for the guy over there,'" said Starr, an acclaimed restaurateur who has opened 13 eateries in the city since 1995.

As the latest entree in what Philadelphia Inquirer restaurant critic Craig LaBan has called a "dubious local genre" — the haute cheesesteak — this version bears little resemblance to what you get from the corner sandwich shop.

Served with a small bottle of champagne, Barclay Prime's cheesesteak is made of sliced Kobe beef, melted Taleggio cheese, shaved truffles, sauteed foie gras, caramelized onions and heirloom shaved tomatoes on a homemade brioche roll brushed with truffle butter and squirted with homemade mustard.

(Full disclosure: It is delicious.)

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-10-05-cheesesteak_x.htm

Nonsense!

Go to Pat's Cheesesteaks on Passyunk,pay about $6 ,order it with "whiz"and get the best cheesesteak youve ever had! I also reconmend getting a birch beer to drink and a side of cheese fries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Heaven I tell you(if you eat meat) Now for Hoagies you gotta go to Tony Luke's on Oregon but thats a different thread....................

messiecake said:
Nonsense!

Go to Pat's Cheesesteaks on Passyunk,pay about $6 ,order it with "whiz"and get the best cheesesteak youve ever had! I also reconmend getting a birch beer to drink and a side of cheese fries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Heaven I tell you(if you eat meat) Now for Hoagies you gotta go to Tony Luke's on Oregon but thats a different thread....................

Where is this? I'm in Delaware and love a good cheesesteak. I might be willing to drive to Philly for a really good one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back