Gerardo Bloise testimony (OCSO crime scene investigator)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mombomb

Reaction score
Next witness - Gerardo Bloise'. OSCO CSI level 2. Been with OSCO for 11 years. (Heavy Hispanic accent). Prior to OSCO he was a police officer in Puerto Rico and FBI training and FDLE and ATF - BA and Master's degree in criminology.

Job as CSI is to process crime scene via notes, photos, searching, collection, preservation and sending to lab if necessary.

(Facing jury when answering).

Doesn't perform analysis on evidence - just collecting.

On 7/16 he received the Pontiac SunFire. It came to him from Det. Charity Beasley on a towing service truck at the forensic garage. It then went to the forensic garage bay.

The car arrived in good condition. All the doors and trunk were sealed.

He was shown Exhibit 47 and it was published to the Jury. It's a photo of the car. Video being shown of it being driven into the forensics bay. He identified the seals on the telestrater.

He was shown Exhibit 48 and it was published to the Jury. Its a photo of the front of the car. The hood was sealed and he circled the seal.

He was shown Exhibit 49 and it was published to the Jury. Its a photo of the side of the car in the forensics bay (It's sitting on a large piece of brown paper).

He also obtained items from Det. Beasley. They were in a black plastic garbage bag.

A photograph of the Sunfire Pontiac is being published to the jury. Bloisy is being asked to identify it. He does.

LDB: asks for 49 to be published

HHJP: you may publish

LDB: do you recognize 49 in evidence?

a white sunfire pontiac that I received and the doors are sealed.

LDB: aside from receiving the car, receive other items?

yes

LDB: were these items contained within a back plastic garbage bag?

yes

LDB: if I may approach?

HHJP: yes

LDB: (is showing Bloisy an envelope) Let me show you "" for identification. Recognize?

yes, they have my handwriting and the date and the time I collected it.

LDB: was this the bag that contained the evidence items given to you by det Beasley?

yes

LDB: given a blue plastic crate?

yes

LDB: did the bag and the crate contain a doll? a child's back pack a child's tooth brush and black leather bag various clothing items and plastic hangers?

correct

LDB: have you had the opportunity to come in contact with individuals that are deceased?

yes

LDB: have you smelled human decomp?

yes

LDB: how regularly in the position to smell this?

in Puerto Rico thirty fourty times. have to go to cororner to get finger prints.

LDB: experience of decomp at varying levels of decop?

yes

LDB: the dumpster or a land fill?

yes

LDB: did you break the seal on the car when it arrived?

yes I opened the driver side door.

LDB: observation when opened the seal

immediately smelled the odor of decomp coming from the car.

LDB: is the interior portion of the car the first part you began to document and or process?

yes

LDB: what is first?

as soon as I received I photograph the exterior and the interior. Then document what I observe through my reports.

LDB: in connection with your documentation you take notes?

correct

LDB: use notes to make reports?

correct

LDB - Were there any animal parts on the underside of the vehicle?

GB - No. None!

:great:

LDB: did you attempt to dermine if the gas guage was working properly?

correct

LDB: how?

I photographed the car and then I put gas in the car and turn on to see needle and I photographed it.

LDB: several months later you did this?

correct

LDB: was it in proper working order?

yes

LDB: did you photograph?

correct

LDB: does "g" for identification show that in the photo

yes

LDB: may I have "h" for identification. Do you see it, recognize that?

LDB: was this taken on july 16th?

correct that is the interior showing the drivers seat.

LDB: may I publish, do you see the item?

yes

LDB: what is it?

sunglasses and black CD case and a brown belt

LDB: may I have "j" with permission to publish that item. was this photo taken on july 16th?

correct, that area is the rear of the inside of the car showing the baby car seat and a black pair of shoes on the seat.

LDB: "k" for identification. you recognize?

yes

picture of the baby car seat

LDB: want to enter into evidence

HHJP: evidence, you may publish

LDB: "l" for identification. Permission to publish

LDB: what is it you are documenting?

the seat area of the rear side showing two pairs of shoes female brown and black and an air freshener sheet that was found.

LDB: do you know that to be a dryer sheet?

yes

LDB: "m" for identification. Recognize?

yes, that is the underneath of the car that I put on the lift in the forensic garage.

LDB: does it fairly and accurately reflect the underside of the car on July 16th 2008 or shortly thereafter. Enter into evidence.

HHJP: received. you may publish.

LDB: did you determine whether or not there were any foreign substances on the underside of the car?

yes, I found on the car was dried leaf near the ?. and a dried leaf near the chassie near the front tire.

LDB: able to determine any animal parts?

no

LDB: on the underside?

not any kind of animal parts on the underneath of the car.

Witness was shown a package and he identified it as the bag that contained the evidence given to him by Det. Beasley. It's a black plastic bag with yellow handles.

He was also given a blue plastic crate. The bag and crate contained a doll, child's backpack, child's toothbrush, black leather bag, various paper items and plastic clothes hangers.

He has had the opportunity to come into contact with deceased individuals and has smelled human decomposition 30 to 45 times in his experience. He has also obtained finger prints from decomposed bodies at the ME's office. He has had experience with bodies at various levels of decomp. He's also searched for evidence in dumpsters and the landfill.

When he broke the seal on the Pontiac sunfire by opening the driver's side door, he immediately smelled the odor of decomp coming from inside the car.

(No reaction from ICA at all).

As soon as he receives the vehicle, he photos the exterior and then photos the interior. Then he documents what he observes in his reports. He takes notes and then uses them to write a report.

His photo of the gas gage was shown at above 3/4 full. He first photos it as he finds it, then puts some gas in and photos it again to check to see if the gas gauge works. He determined that the gas gauge was working properly. This photo was marked as Exhibit 76. Photo published to Jury.

He was shown Exhibit 50 - the photo of the interior of the front seat. Photo published to jury. It was taken on 7/16.

He was shown Exhibit 34 - the photo of the interior passenger seat showing sunglasses and black CD case and a brown belt.

He was shown Exhibit 35 - the photo of the car seat in the back seat and also showing black shoes on the seat next to it.

He was shown another photo taken from the other side of the car seat. Marked as Exhibit 77.

He was shown Exhibit 51 - photo of the back seat behind the driver's seat with two pairs of shoes, one black and one gold/brown and a dryer sheet.

He was shown a photo of the underside of the car when it was on the lift. Marked as Exhibit 78. Published to Jury.

He inspected the underneath of the vehicle. He found dried leaf in the transmission area and next to the front chassis area. He found no animal parts.

He was shown a photo of the inside trunk (mid range photo). Photo marked as Exhibit 79 and published to the Jury. The item in the center was part of the spare tire cover well. It was plastic. He removed it from the hole. When he received the vehicle, the plastic cover was on the hole.

He was shown a photo of the inside trunk with "A" and "B" markers. Photo marked as Exhibit 80 and published to the Jury. "A" was of the dryer sheet that was in the trunk. "B" was residue of dirt found in the trunk.

He was shown a photo of the back area of the spare tire cover well. It has been removed from the vehicle. He agreed processing took several days. A section of the spare tire cover was removed prior to the photo. Photo was marked as Exhibit 81 and published to the Jury. LDB circled the area removed. The cover is made out of wood and carpet.

He was shown a photo of the inside of the trunk showing "C" the spare tire cover well showing a dried leaf. Marked as Exhibit 82 and published to the Jury.

The spare tire was with the vehicle when he received it. He marked where it would be prior to its removal. The cover would sit on top of this area.

Afternoon recess to 3:05.

Ger. Bliose - crime scene investigator OCSO 11 years..was police officer in San Juan, PR x 6 years....trained w/FBI, forensics science, ATF, Masters in criminal justice(?) and business administration......take notes, photos, search, preservation, lab test, documentation/collection/preservation of items....don't preform analysis typically on items collected...7/16/08 - Pontiac Sunfire received 1998 white 2 dr, Fl. tag.....Det. Charity Beasly - tow service truck to the forensic garage - goes forensic garage A....arrived in good condition...all doors, trunk, were sealed....pics of car...identify 2 yellow pieces of tape on rear of veh....pics of front of car...identify seal on the hood - yellow piece of tape on hood.....side view of car....yellow tape on drivers side door...also obtained items from Det. Beasley contained within black plastic garbage bag...identified items & seals, handwriting,
blue plastic crate bag and crate - contained, doll, child's backpack, toothbrush, papers, black leather bag, plastic clothes hangars....
have you had opportunity to come into contact w/deceased? yes....smelled odor of decomp.....about 30-40 45 times sometimes have to get fingerprints from decomposed bodies @ ME's office....experience w/bodies at varying levels of decomp....oppotunity to search in dumpsters, landfills,
Did you break the seal on Pontiac sunfire when arrived? yes - drivers side door first seal broken, observe - immediatly smell odor of decomp from inside car...interior of car first documented & process.....
First thing done,exterior condition, interior of veh....document observations....take notes....use notes to write report to recall steps....
gas gauge shows just under 1/4 tank....he put gasoline in car...turn on to see if needle of gas gauge & photo this happened several months after received car...gas gauge worked properly and photo shows gauge working...received in evidence -publish
Pic of interior of vehicle from passenger door....publish...
pic taken 7/16/08, in passenger seat - black cd case, brown belt, sunglasses...publish -
pic taken 7/16/08 - rear inside vehicle baby car seat and black shoes on seat...
pic taken 7/16/08 - rear inside vehicle from drivers side of car seat and items on seat
pic taken 7/16/08 - already in evidence - 2 shoes - one black high heel and one gold brown and dryer sheet laying in the seat....
pic of under carriage on the car while on lift @ the garage..taken 7/16/08 - enter/publish
any foreign substances on underside of veh? I inspected it...dried leaf material from front chassis area - near front tire....no animal parts on underside of car - determined by GB...
Pic of open trunk lid looking into the car...pic taken 7/16/08- enter/receive/publish
item near center appears removed....part of spare tire cover well plastic cover he removed it from the hole and placed it next to it.....
Picture of interior of the car w/markers of A & B in the trunk....enter/receive/publish
Marker A - description of air freshner sheet - a different one from what was in rear seat
Marker B - residue of dirt in trunk

Pic under side of spare tire cover well - removed from vehicle....processing took several days...section of spare tire cover removed prior to this photo being taken....reverse side of the spare tire cover once the section had been removed....receive/publish spare tire cover is like a woodboard with carpet....
Pic inside of trunk letter C - spare tire cover well, description of the dried leaf in the trunk...publish....C-marker - dried leaf identify in spare tire well... spare tire was in the trunk when received - showed where it had been sitting.... the cover is woodboard with carpet and sits over this area

Recess till 3:05

28iatu8.jpg

air freshener sheet, Blosey has identified.

LDB: if I may have "ht" for identification. This is article four. If I may approach the witness.

HHJP: you may

LDB: recognize?

yes

LDB: how

my name and the date (gives a lot of info I did not get)

LDB: and seal and put in this envelope?

sixteen hundred hours, correct.

yes

my name on it, interior fender left side area: is a petrie dish (sp?)

LDB: the date and time of collection

gives specific time and date

LDB: then placed in this package and sealed

correct

LDB: ?

I recognize the package 7 18 2008 12:05 located inside the trunk well area and is a petrie dish with particles of dirt and hair.

LDB: packaged and sealed?

correct

LDB: " " for identification. (long pause)

LDB: what is marked "" for identification. Recognize?

yes, it was dated 7 22 2008 18:00 hours which is six pm. G63xVictor Tag number...item number seven.

LDB: then placed into this package and sealed?

correct

yes, tag number located on spare tire well on car: petrie dish with hair and is item number eight.

LDB: then placed into this package and sealed?

correct

(long pause)

Investigator Bloise direct exam by LDB continued.

The red item in Exhibit 86 appeared to be a red fiber he observed. The hair is also shown as being over the red fabric. He marked the length of the hair.

He was shown photo, Exhibit 84. He indicated on this photo where the hair was located.

He agreed he received other evidence items from Charity Beasley. He was shown Exhibit 52 and it was published to the jury. It is a photo of the blue crate with the baby doll, backpack, etc. When he received the items, he inspected them and secured them in his evidence locker. He later put the crate into a box.

(No reaction from ICA of photo of baby doll or photo of Caylee's backpack.)

Exhibit 53 shows Caylee's open backpack. He photoed it and preserved it.

Over the next several days he also collected some more hair from the trunk and dirt residue, air freshener sheet and he preserved it.

He is given a package and identified it as collected on 7/17/08. It's the hair found on the front edge of the trunk. This is a different hair than the prior one. This one was collected from the front edge of the trunk. He found it when he opened the trunk. He photoed it and collected it with a magnifying tweeser. He then submitted it to the evidence lab.

He is given another package and identified it as containing the air freshener or dyer sheet collected from the trunk. It was the same one seen in the earlier photo.

He is given another package and identified it as containing a petri dish containing particles of dirt and a hair.

He is shown another package and identified it as containing dirt particles collected on 7/18/08 at about midnight.

He is shown another package and identified it as containing a petri dish containing dirt particles with hair from the wheel fender area.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/22 containing a petri dish with hair collected from the spare tire area.

He is shown another package and identified it as being located on the spare tire cover well area. It's a petri dish with hair.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/23/08 from the bottom of the radiator and it's dry vegetation.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/23/08 from the seat under the black shoes. It's the dryer sheet seen in the photo.

LDB: if I can have "hy", she will come back to other item. Recognize?

yes tag number...item 9 at four twenty eight, location was on the bottom of the...

LDB: once collected is it placed into this package and sealed?

correct

LDB: "IA" for identification. Do you recognize?

Yes, it is tag number, item number 12 july 23 2008 and the location was located on the seat undereath with the black shoes which is a dryer sheet.

LDB: then placed into this packaging and sealed?

correct

LDB: "HZ" idieifigih in sequence. (I might have gotten that wrong...) If I may show the witness HZ. Recognize?

Tag number, item number 14 july 25 2008 at 2:03 location on the right side of the trunk liner is a petrie dish with hair.

LDB: in package and sealed?

correct

Tag number item 16 july 25 2008, was located in the middle of the trunk liner is a petrie dish with hair.

LDB: placed and sealed?

correct

LDB: ?

tag number item 17 july 25 2008 located on left side of trunk liner, is a petrie dish with hair.

LDB: placed and sealed?

correct

tag number is item 18 july 25 2008 located on left side of trunk FL tag number petrie dish with hair.

LDB: placed into package and sealed?

yes

item 19 was collect 2:18 location left side trunk liner is a petrie dish with hair.

tag number item 20 july 25 2008 2:20 located in the left of the ? car, petrie dish with hair. inside, wire the turn signal.

Investigator Bloise direct exam by LDB continued.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/25/08 from the right side of the trunk liner. It's a petri dish with hair.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/25/08 from the middle of the trunk liner. It's a petri dish with hair.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/25/08 from the left side of the trunk liner. It's a petri dish with hair.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/25/08 from the left side of the trunk liner. It's a petri dish with hair.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/25/08 from the left directional light area. It's a petri dish with hair.

He is shown another package and identified it as being collected on 7/25/08 from the left side liner area. It is a petri dish with hair. This is the single hair seen in the prior photo.

More coming...

tag number h52025 item 21 july 25 2008 2:22 pm located on liner area left is a petrie dish with hair.

LDB: is this the single hair we saw in the photo with the directional wire.

correct

LDB: placed and sealed with your initials?

correct

LDB: is the same for all evidence items we have been discussing?

correct

LDB: gives a list of several more pieces of evidence.

HHJP: witness may stand down. make sure she faces the court reporter so she can hear.

LDB: here are four evidence items associated with this box. Can you first take a look at the tire package as something you have had contact with in the past?

Yes, I recognize the package. Labels that I collected at the time. It is the identification of the OCSO tag number was collected July 17th 2008 from the interior of the trunk which is tag number and the description of inside inside left trunk liner and spare tire section of the liner.

LDB: the trunk liner once removed from trunk?

yes

LDB: had to cut?

yes, to collect evidence but the left side the right and the left and the center I did not cut just removed...left right center...which is three pieces.

LDB: may witness resume his seat?

HHJP: witness may

LDB: may I have a moment?

I thought I saw a snarl. :eek: I know I saw a snarl. They are struggling with the box to get it open and Casey finds it mildly amusing, turns to Jose as if to say..."see this?" IMHO

HHJP: Witness stand down.

Box is open.

LDB: piece of spare tire cover?

yes

LDB: can you retrieve it?

yes

Witness pulls the spare tire cover out of the box.

LDB: that is the spare tire cover.

yes

Wow, that was dramatic for me, when that burst out of the box like that!

LDB: IK for identification article 22?

yes, a piece of the spare tire cover, collected from the spare tire well.

LDB: are there other items inside the box?

the left side of the liner, the plastic cover from the left side of the trunk. The right and left. Witness pulls them out and shows them to the jury.

OH, here come my emotions. This is the PHYSICAL evidence that Casey killed Caylee. Caylee is in the court room now.

LDB: IJ for identification? Publish?

item is tag h50225 item 27 location was spare tire cover and was two swabs.

LDB: put in package and seal once collected?

yes

The State has just confronted ICA with the evidence of what she did, I missed some of the trial today but for me the first of the "really" physical evidence of Caylee's death and what really happened to her. I think the State made a point in showing how hard it is to get into the evidence box. :yes:

LDB: items IO and ? for identification. Contact in the past?

yes, tag number item number 2 july 17th 2008 12:30 am from trunk of the car, description of evidence is a piece of the spare tire cover.

LDB: placed into this box and sealed by you?

correct

LDB: recognize? HS, take a look at this box recognize?

tag number item 31 was collect july 25 2008, piece of spare tire cover collected from car.

LDB: placed into this box and sealed by you?

correct

LDB: (pause) At this point I seek to introduce IE into evidence which is a hair.

HHJP: what says the defense? you may. received into evidence

LDB: seek to introduce a "sheet of air freshener"

HHJP: received into evidence

LDB: HT for identification...

HHJP: received

LDB: HX into evidence petrie dish dirt residue

LDB: HV into evidence petrie dish dirt residue

JB: no objections

HHJP: entered

LDB: air freshener sheet

LDB: HZ into evidence, a piece of hair

LDB: ID a hair

JB: no objections

LDB: IE article 17 a hair

LDB: IF article 18 a hair

LDB: hair

LDB: IH into article 20 hair

LDB: II into evidence 21 as a hair

LDB: HU into evidence article 7 a petrie dish with hair

LDB: HW article 8 a hair

LDB: HY article 9 vegitation

LDB: at this point I have no further questions of the witness on these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23