Pair robbed twice in search of poetry

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Alas, to be robbed and robbed again - parting with so much cash is such a sorrow. Unlucky were these travelers, methinks. So goes the tale of two young men from Pennsylvania who, allegedly in Trenton for a nocturnal poetry recitation, were held up at gunpoint twice and robbed of more than $1,000 in less than 10 minutes' time early yesterday, police said.

The sequence of unfortunate events that yesterday befell the two men, ages 24 and 20, started when the two arranged to meet a man and woman who, they told detectives, had promised to take them to a "poetry reading" in Trenton, city police spokesman Sgt. Pedro Medina said.

Medina did not know how the two Pennsylvania men met the man and woman, but said they apparently did not know them very well because all they knew were the suspects' alleged first names - "Sean" and "Tracy."

The two met the man and woman at East State Street and South Clinton Avenue early yesterday. The man and woman got into the back of the victims' car and pretended to give them directions to the poetry reading, Medina said.

After driving around for a few minutes, the victims stopped their car on South Cook Avenue as directed, Medina said.

At that point, the man called Sean allegedly pulled out a handgun, pointed the silver-and-black weapon at the victims and ordered them to give up their wallets, Medina said.

He said the man allegedly took $1,000 in cash from the 24-year-old's wallet. The 20-year-old had no cash, he said. The man and woman then ran off.

The victims, still with their car on South Cook Avenue, called police on a cellular phone at 1:26 a.m., Medina said.

While the men were on the phone, reporting the robbery to a police dispatcher, they were approached at 1:31 a.m. by two men armed with silver handguns, Medina said. The two newcomers, bandanas pulled up to conceal their faces, ordered the victims to hand over their money, he said.

The two victims were frisked by the gunmen, who fled after stealing $90 from the 24-year-old that the first set of robbers had missed, Medina said.

The victims described "Sean" as a black male in his early 30s about 5 feet 6 inches tall, 150 pounds, wearing a green jacket, and carrying a green backpack. "Tracy" was described as a black female, 5 feet 6 inches tall, with a medium build, wearing a multicolored jacket.

The second pair of robbers were described only as black males, dressed in dark clothing, with black bandanas over their faces.

Full Story

Remind me to avoid Trenton in my travels....

A tragedy of Shakespearean dimensions.

"The quality of mercy is not strain'd.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath.
It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes."

Hugh said:
A tragedy of Shakespearean dimensions.

"The quality of mercy is not strain'd.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath.
It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes."
Ahhh the Merchant of Venice, all that glitters is not gold, pound of flesh etc..

Hugh, ever been to Shakespear's house or Anne Hathaways' cottage? Nice for a days outing...(please no more rusty spoons in your eyes) are you far from Stratford upon Avon?

I enjoyed my visit to both of these places ~ I recall the BBC had something around Shakespear's house, like a Globe Theatre, with period costumes and displays...

Okay get the spoons out.

About 30 miles away Casshew, I go about once a month, They are carrying out a complete modernisation of the theater next year but are not allowed to touch the outside as it is classed as an iconic example of 60,s concrete UGH.

I would never employ the spoons fro Shakespeare he is one of my idols, it has always struck me that almost every film I have ever seen uses his themes.

If we could just get kids more interested in his writing, the BBC showed a great series of animated shakespeare last year. It was 6 of the major works, Henry V, Romeo & Juliet, The Tempest, Midsummer Nights Dream, Hamlet and Macbeth,they were condensed down to about 20 minutes eachand were fantastic as an introduction.

Hi Hugh, so what is your favorite play? Mine were Hamlet and MacBeth.

You know about an hour from Toronto we have a river called Avon and the bustling town of Stratford sits upon it ~ it is a huge centre for theatre productions and the study of Shakespears works.

But back to England, walking through his house, again I am taken by surprise with how small everything seems to be. (just like the Bronte's) I wonder if the window glass panes are from shakespear's time.. little tiny panes...

Anne Hathaway's cottage by contrast is Gorgeous!! and the gardens, magnificent.

Yes it is contemporary, they had to blow all the glass, so that determined the size.

Favourite play Romeo and Juliet followed by the tempest

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back