GUILTY CA - Trevor Harwell for cyberspying on women, Fullerton, 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
Now, we have to fear the computer techs who work on our computers. Yikes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110609...DeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA21hbmFjY3VzZWRvZg--

Man accused of planting spyware to photograph women

"A 20-year-old California man was arrested on Wednesday, accused of planting spyware on dozens of computers to secretly photograph women in a state of undress, police said. Trevor Harwell was taken into custody at his home in Fullerton, where detectives found hundreds of thousands of the pictures on his computer, Fullerton Police Spokesman Sgt. Andrew Goodrich said.

Harwell is accused of installing the program, which gave him remote access to the user's computer and webcam, while working as a technician for a local computer repair company, Goodrich said. "Once he had access, he would take photographs of the users, usually women. Often, the female victims were undressed or changing clothes," Goodrich said...."

and

"...The message mimicked a system error advising her [a woman] of a problem with an "internal sensor" and advised: "If unsure what to do, try putting your laptop near hot steam for several minutes to clean the sensor." Goodrich said many users who got a similar message took their laptops into the bathroom while they showered, where Harwell allegedly photographed them undressing or naked...."

more at link

Who puts a computer near a shower? Who doesn't think that's suspicious?
Sheesh!

I've raised five daughters and I have to say that even though two are exceptionally bright and three are developmentally disabled, all are shockingly gullible. My husband and I have been gob-smacked that they've fallen for a few of the April Fool's type jokes and silly tales we've related to them in fun. For some reason, our sons never seemed to fall for the same stories. They were always saying, "no way", while the girls said, "really?".

My point is, that with my "empirical study" of 5 girls and 9 boys, girls seem to be most gullible--thus simply following an official looking warning on a computer screen. And no teen girl or young woman is going to waste that time with her computer in the bathroom. She's going to use that time to shower or take care of some hygiene. JMO.

my first thought was wth?! who falls for that?!

but I suspect many of the women were quite young and more naive than the average woman

a hard lesson to learn and I hope they're not too traumatized

kudos to the father who contacted police

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie