AZ AZ - Pima Canyon, WhtFem UP7228, 16-20, oddly-developed mandible, Oct'65

Claudette

Reaction score
Surprised to see this wasn't here.

16 - 20 year old female, skeletal remains found in desert area in Tucson. 63 inches tall. No weight estimate.

Probable year of death is 1960 but I personally wouldn't pay much attention to that, especially considering the environment it was in but that's MOO.

Lower jaw underdeveloped on the right side, causing the mouth to close crookedly, which would be noticeable to those who knew the decedent. There is a picture (reconstruction) and it is very noticeable.

One metal ring found (crappy scanned picture available)

All remains buried, no DNA avail. Buried in 2000 so this seems weird to me.

Going to see if I can find news articles.

https://identifyus.org/cases/7228

Ok I can't find A THING anywhere about this girl.

There is an Arizona Newspaper Project that IMO is useless as you can only search by newspaper name. You can't search for articles....or even dates!

She is not on Tucson's government website that lists current crimes. In fact there is only a john doe on there, no jane does, but go look at how many UID there are from Tucson. Listed in NAMUS are over 800 UIDs in Arizona. There is ONE in Alaska. Of course there are many many more that aren't listed but what the heck, AZ?

I'd like to know how they got that possible last name association. Maybe it was on the ring?

It's pretty unbelievable that there's no other info on her out there!

Interesting article...but I wish it was more complete. The article doesn't state WHY the family believes that this may be their sister. Simply because the year and approx location? There were interesting things left close to the deceased and there was no mention if these items held any significance to the sisters. I believe the items by the remains were some sort of military insignia (IIRC) crepe soled shoes, and a gun.

Charley project just did a casefile on her today.

webb_diane.jpg
webb_diane2.jpg
742UFAZ1.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/webb_diane.html

Interesting if you look at the two photos, her right jaw vs. her left jaw. Perhaps they're on to something.

Interesting article...but I wish it was more complete. The article doesn't state WHY the family believes that this may be their sister. Simply because the year and approx location? There were interesting things left close to the deceased and there was no mention if these items held any significance to the sisters. I believe the items by the remains were some sort of military insignia (IIRC) crepe soled shoes, and a gun.

It may be the sisters were so young at the time, they'd have no recollection of what significance, if any, these items might hold. Especially since the one sister mentioned in the article was only 6 when she last saw her older sister.

Interesting article, interesting case. Also wondering, if anyone found Bennie, since the article mentions looking for him also.

Stange thing to say. But I remember that when her parents first believed she was missing, they (or LE) were able to communicate with him. So I think they just lost touch with him.

It must be hard for the sisters to try to search given they were so young when she left and might not remember circumstances. For example: did her sister and Bennie have a rocky relationship? Did their sister have a good relationship with the parents?

Crime Trackers: Body of 'Jane Doe' found in 1965 may soon be identified
September 18, 2012

TUCSON - Almost 50 years after the remains of a teenage girl were found in Tucson, DNA evidence and a new national database may help police to identify this "Jane Doe."

...So with the internet, NamUs, and public involvement, especially families of the missing, they now actively participate in trying to solve mysteries that are now at least 50 years old. DNA testing technology is likely going to be key to figuring out the identify of this young woman.

This case has been expedited; the samples are at a Texas lab. The families will have an answer in three months.

Read more: http://www.kvoa.com/news/crime-trackers-body-of-jane-doe-found-in-1965-may-soon-be-identified/

So did they dig up this Jane Doe to get DNA? If they did why didn't they get some forensic artists to do more reconstructions of her. I always think it's a good idea to have at least three artists depictions of what a Doe may have looked like in life.

I was looking through Newspapers.com for articles about Valentine Sally (another Arizona UID), and found five articles from the 60s that have A LOT of information about this particular Jane Doe.

Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/eFkQl

A significant detail that would help rule in/out any potential matches: This UID had all of her teeth, several dental fillings, and a 'double tooth'. I'm not sure if this means she had one tooth growing directly above the other, or if two of her teeth were fused together.
According to one article, the gun was a .32 caliber 1888 Smith & Wesson, and none of the recovered bones showed any trauma or signs of having been shot.

Also, this case is in dire need of a new facial reconstruction. The one we have is from the 1960s; it's even pictured in the last article.

I was just looking at this Doe over the weekend. I'm wondering if she is a match for Carol Frances Norton, a woman who was reported missing at the time (and likely murdered by her husband) but isn't in any database.

Carol Frances Norton went missing from El Cerrito, CA in June 1965. Questions as to her whereabouts arose after her husband, Harvey Arnold Norton, was arrested for a bank robbery in Sandia, TX in July 1965. Detectives at the time found blood-stained floor mats, strands of hair, and a shovel in his car, which he had abandoned in Corpus Christi, TX. The last article I was able to find mention of Mrs. Norton was from January 1966. Detectives had suspended a search of a mine shaft in Barstow, CA. Her husband pled guilty to robbery and served time in Ft. Leavenworth. He committed suicide after murdering a teenage boy while in the process of a robbery in June 1971. No mention of Mrs. Norton was made in the article.

Jane Doe was discovered a few miles away from Interstate 10, which is along the route that Harvey Arnold Norton would have driven on his way to Sandia, TX.

Here is a link to an album of newspaper articles about her disappearance as well as the 2 yearbook images I was able to find: http://imgur.com/a/aRnHz .

I've reached out to the El Cerrito Sheriff's office and am waiting to hear back from the sheriff's office to see if Mrs. Norton's case was ever resolved.

I was just looking at this Doe over the weekend. I'm wondering if she is a match for Carol Frances Norton, a woman who was reported missing at the time (and likely murdered by her husband) but isn't in any database.

Carol Frances Norton went missing from El Cerrito, CA in June 1965. Questions as to her whereabouts arose after her husband, Harvey Arnold Norton, was arrested for a bank robbery in Sandia, TX in July 1965. Detectives at the time found blood-stained floor mats, strands of hair, and a shovel in his car, which he had abandoned in Corpus Christi, TX. The last article I was able to find mention of Mrs. Norton was from January 1966. Detectives had suspended a search of a mine shaft in Barstow, CA. Her husband pled guilty to robbery and served time in Ft. Leavenworth. He committed suicide after murdering a teenage boy while in the process of a robbery in June 1971. No mention of Mrs. Norton was made in the article.

Jane Doe was discovered a few miles away from Interstate 10, which is along the route that Harvey Arnold Norton would have driven on his way to Sandia, TX.

Here is a link to an album of newspaper articles about her disappearance as well as the 2 yearbook images I was able to find: http://imgur.com/a/aRnHz .

I've reached out to the El Cerrito Sheriff's office and am waiting to hear back from the sheriff's office to see if Mrs. Norton's case was ever resolved.

Mrs. Norton's case was indeed still cold. The El Cerrito Sheriff's department has assigned a detective to look into the case further and provided a case number to NamUs so her profile could be published (https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/34768/). Unfortunately, it looks like there aren't any dental or fingerprint records from the old case file. Hopefully, they can find a surviving family member willing to give a DNA sample.

Mrs. Norton's case was indeed still cold. The El Cerrito Sheriff's department has assigned a detective to look into the case further and provided a case number to NamUs so her profile could be published (https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/34768/). Unfortunately, it looks like there aren't any dental or fingerprint records from the old case file. Hopefully, they can find a surviving family member willing to give a DNA sample.

Interesting. The one picture her jaw looks more symmetrical, but the other I can see where it might not be. Hard to tell. But there are some syndromes that have eye issues and micrognathia or other skeletal defects.

Reactions: byo
Ruleouts from Namus https://identifyus.org/cases/7228

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Carol Batterman 1939 Oklahoma
Sharon Giusti 1943 Washington
Mary Little 1940 Georgia
Lynn Luray 1948 California
Mary Ann Switalski 1946 Illinois
Diane Webb 1942 Arizona

I just came here post the same thing. This would have been right along his route from CA to TX. Hopefully they can get identifying info on her from a relative.

I just came here post the same thing. This would have been right along his route from CA to TX. Hopefully they can get identifying info on her from a relative.

When I spoke to the El Cerrito Sheriff's office they said they would be trying to reach out to surviving family members for DNA and Dustin Driscoll at NamUs is reaching out to CA DOJ to see if they have any biometrics on file. Hopefully, between the two lines of inquiry, DNA, dentals, or fingerprints will become available for Carol that can be compared to the Jane Doe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back