Glen Campbell diagnosed with Alzheimer's

Kimberlyd125

Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athlet
Reaction score
Glen Campbell diagnosed with Alzheimer's

NEW YORK (AP) -- Country music legend Glen Campbell has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, and will put out his final album this summer.

Campbell's representative Bobbie Gale made the announcement Wednesday. The disease is in its early stages.

thumbnail.aspx

:(

Praying for Mr. Campbell and his family.

Rhinestone Cowboy has been going through my head all afternoon. :(

Mine too Charlie.
It's so sad.

What a natural talent.

Seems he plans on "going on with the show"! I wish him well and I hope he has lots of years left to entertain us.

I had such a crush on Glen Campbell when I was a kid. Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers his TV show!!!!

I wish him nothing but the best. I don't think he's had an easy time of it. And I do hope this tour is HIS idea!

IMO, "Gentle on My Mind" is one of the best songs ever! And "Galveston." And "Country Boy." And "By the Time I get to Phoenix."

I am very sad to hear this. :(

I really like him!

I wish him peace and hope he has an easy time of it. I can't wait to hear his new album!

What a super talent!
fran
:)

I had such a crush on Glen Campbell when I was a kid. Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers his TV show!!!!

I wish him nothing but the best. I don't think he's had an easy time of it. And I do hope this tour is HIS idea!

IMO, "Gentle on My Mind" is one of the best songs ever! And "Galveston." And "Country Boy." And "By the Time I get to Phoenix."

Tragic shame! Well at least we have Scotty McCreery to fill the void!

Stellar career and a most troubled personal past.

His music (guitar or later as singer) sits on one of the higher shelves.

I wish the best for him.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=666721&icid=ENTERTAINMENT2&GT1=ENTERTAINMENT2

Glen Campbell's Musical Farewell

On "Strong," a track from Glen Campbell's superb new - and final - album, he plaintively sings to his wife: "This is not the road I wanted for us, but now that it's here, I want to make one thing perfectly clear. All I want to be for you is strong."

Despite the devastating diagnosis, which he and his wife of 29 years, Kim Woollen, announced earlier this year, Campbell is relentlessly upbeat during a recent interview in the living room of his spacious Malibu home. Tanned and relaxed after a round of golf earlier in the day, he is just as likely to burst into a Daffy Duck impersonation as he is to answer a question. Mention a song and he starts to sing it, rather than talk about it. Even when he forgets a question just asked, he remains jovial and undaunted.

***this article has a LOT of info in it.
Great read.

my fav singer from my earliest memories, would alternate between Wichita Lineman and Love Child on my mother's 8 track tape player. i was most upset when i heard he died in true grit (thought it was real).

The songs from Glen Campbell's new album are superb! Just what one would hope for. I knew I was gonna hit the Buy key before getting even halfway thru the Sampler at amazon, and such a deal on the MP3 version too! ;-)

There's a free bonus track of the title tune as well.

Oh yes I remember that show! I was a kid, but loved it. He had great guest, including the OSMOND Brothers! LOL In fact, last year I rented some DVD's of Glen's old shows. I got them from Net Flicks.

I also rented a DVD of him in concert with an orchestra. It was GREAT. I can't recall the city, but I think it was in the west, like Montana or South Dakota. It was filmed around 2002, I think. He was just wonderful. I think I may actually purchase that DVD. He does all his big hits on it and the sound is wonderful.

The songs from Glen Campbell's new album are superb! Just what one would hope for. I knew I was gonna hit the Buy key before getting even halfway thru the Sampler at amazon, and such a deal on the MP3 version too! ;-)

There's a free bonus track of the title tune as well.

wow, just got the cd today (gift from hubby) and im settin here bawlin my eyes out...

about 11 years ago i was very badly injured by an ex bf. i was doa at the hospital, and they really didnt think they could bring me back, but they did. was still in coma, supposedly brain dead, but alive. they got hold of my auntie to come and see me before they took my organs. she wouldnt give up on me. she screamed and fussed and made it so bad that they decided that if i could breathe on my own, they would back off. well, i could breathe. they wouldnt let her stay all the time, so she went home and made cassette tapes of voices and songs. my friends talking, joking and horsing around, my miss sadie (closest thing to a grama i have) reading her bible. and music, hours of music. a lot of it was glen. the beatles, peter paul and mary, meatloaf LOL i have weird and varied tastes.

anyway i feel like all those artists helped me come back to the world. it took 23 days but i woke up. badly scarred and a lot of mental difficulties, but im here.

i only wish i could do something for glen to help him hold his memories, but thats not really possible. i hope his famile is patient and loving for him.

gonna go cry somemore...

wow, just got the cd today (gift from hubby) and im settin here bawlin my eyes out...

about 11 years ago i was very badly injured by an ex bf. i was doa at the hospital, and they really didnt think they could bring me back, but they did. was still in coma, supposedly brain dead, but alive. they got hold of my auntie to come and see me before they took my organs. she wouldnt give up on me. she screamed and fussed and made it so bad that they decided that if i could breathe on my own, they would back off. well, i could breathe. they wouldnt let her stay all the time, so she went home and made cassette tapes of voices and songs. my friends talking, joking and horsing around, my miss sadie (closest thing to a grama i have) reading her bible. and music, hours of music. a lot of it was glen. the beatles, peter paul and mary, meatloaf LOL i have weird and varied tastes.

anyway i feel like all those artists helped me come back to the world. it took 23 days but i woke up. badly scarred and a lot of mental difficulties, but im here.

i only wish i could do something for glen to help him hold his memories, but thats not really possible. i hope his famile is patient and loving for him.

gonna go cry somemore...

Oh Mira, what a testamonial you have! Thank God you made it. Your story is very inspiring. I honestly would contact Glen's manager and send him a note, email or something telling your story. I'm sure it would mean so much to him. Really. I would do it as soon as possible too.

Thanks for sharing and I love The Beatles, Peter Paul and Mary and Meatloaf too! I have very varied taste, but I loved Glen's music when I was a little girl and also today. IMO he is timeless.

Oh yes I remember that show! I was a kid, but loved it. He had great guest, including the OSMOND Brothers! LOL In fact, last year I rented some DVD's of Glen's old shows. I got them from Net Flicks.

I also rented a DVD of him in concert with an orchestra. It was GREAT. I can't recall the city, but I think it was in the west, like Montana or South Dakota. It was filmed around 2002, I think. He was just wonderful. I think I may actually purchase that DVD. He does all his big hits on it and the sound is wonderful.

two of his guests that i was glad to see on his show...Duke and David Cassidy!

Memory of Glenn Campbell even though I have never met him and do no personally know him.

The year is 1967. I am 5 yrs old. It is evening and I am walking through my Grandparents sunporch to leave the house by their backdoor with my Mother. The radio that was kept on the sunporch was softly playing from earlier that day and had not been turned off.

Playing was Glenn Campbells' "by the time I get to phoenix". I asked my Mom who was that man singing? He sounds sad.

She said Glenn Campbell.

Not a life changing experience but it shows how much impact singers and songs can have on us if they create memories that last 45 years in our memories.

I never met Glen Campbell in real life, but my Mother saw him at least once at a restaurant, as did another friend as well. Let's just say, they described him in superlatives, and were sad to see him as he was, then.

And that it why I mentioned upthread about his troubled background...and now so glad to see that he has overcome it.

My many musician friends revere him...me too! A guitar player like no other, before or since.

He used to sing my way to work back in the day. The legacy of his music will always reside at the top of my favs.

fwiw

Glenn Campbell is a truly brilliant musician who played on many hits by other people in the 60's as a session musician as well as his own wonderful releases.
He also filled in for Brian Wilson as a bass player on tour after Brian's nervous breakdown.
Very sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back