Australia Australia - Azaria Chamberlain, 9 wks, Uluru, NT, 17 Aug 1980

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Coroner won't reopen Azaria case

October 6, 2004

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/06/1096949559713.html?oneclick=true#The 24-year-old case into missing baby Azaria Chamberlain will not be reopened, the Northern Territory Coroner's office says.

The decision followed a Northern Territory police investigation into claims by Melbourne pensioner Frank Cole that he shot a dingo that had the nine-week-old baby in his jaws the night she disappeared.

Azaria disappeared on Friday August 17, 1980, from a tent during a family camping holiday at Uluru, in central Australia.

"The Coroner's Office has determined not to reopen the inquest into the death of Azaria Chamberlain," the coroner's office said.

"The information provided to it by Mr Cole through Northern Territory Police did not satisfy the Coroner's Office that there were new facts of evidence making it necessary or desirable to re-open the inquest." The decision came as Azaria's mother Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton called for the case into her missing daughter to be closed once and for all.

Ms Chamberlain-Creighton said she had almost no faith in Mr Cole's claims.

Full Story

This is one of those cases Ive never made up my mind on.
Granted I dont know much but Ive never been 100% sure...........anyone have any thoughts?

Hi messicake ~ the arterial spray under the steering column of the car ~ that they figured was blood spraying from little Azria's throat while it was cut, was later found in several vehicles of the same make.. it was just a discoloration in what they treat the metal with.

Lindy always said that azaria was wearing a little matinee jacket, she described it as white with a lemon edging... after being in prison for years the little jacket was found.

I believe the Dingo was guilty and this poor family was destroyed and broken apart for nothing. Very very sad.

I too believe the dingo took baby Azaria.
I am not sure if I believe Frank Cole's version of seeing the baby in it's jaws, but I do believe that the dingo took her. That is probably hwy her body has never been located.

http://news.discovery.com/history/dingo-ate-my-baby-case.html

THE GIST

• Australian authorities will reopen the 1980 case of a child who allegedly was killed by a wild dingo.
  • The child, Azaria Chambelain, was just nine weeks old when she went missing.
  • Azaria's parents have blamed sloppy police work and biased media reporting for their struggle for justice.

Australia has launched a new inquiry into the death of baby Azaria Chamberlain to re-examine claims she was snatched and killed by a dingo at Uluru, or Ayers Rock, in 1980, officials said on Monday.

The Northern Territory's registrar of births, deaths and marriages is examining the case after an emotional plea from Azaria's mother to change the death certificate to blame a dingo for the bizarre killing.

chamberlain-zoom.jpg

I'm sorry, what?

Her mother blames the dingo so what exactly is her struggle for justice about?

Don't mind me. I'll just keep reading.

I just explained this case to a co-worker the other day.

I'm sorry, what?

Her mother blames the dingo so what exactly is her struggle for justice about?

Don't mind me. I'll just keep reading.

I just explained this case to a co-worker the other day.

The mom wants the death certificate to state that the cause of death was due to the dingo.

ok, this quote clarifies it a little bit for me:

"It's justice for Azaria," he said, according to public broadcaster ABC. "Her spirit does not rest because the truth was never told about how she actually died."

They will probably grant her wish considering what the poor woman went through at the hands of the Northern Territory Government, and the people of Australia, who just went to town on her! I was a kid at the time, but she was the main topic of conversation in the schoolyard, in pubs, at dinner parties, in taxis, at bus stops, and at retail counters for YEARS, and none of it was favourable, we talked about her with anyone, everyone, all the time and came up with countless wild theories.

We all thought she did it, or was covering for her son, we thought she named her baby Azaria because it meant 'sacrifice in the dessert', we thought she dressed the baby in black because she worshipped the devil, we thought their religion was hinky She was tried and convicted in the court of public opinion before she was tried and convicted in a court of law and sentenced to prison.

Turns out we were 100% wrong and she had been the victim of a horrible accident. I'll never forget it, what a lesson. I hope they just grant her her wish so she can get on with things and never have to deal with another court for the rest of her life.

RIP Azaria.

They will probably grant her wish considering what the poor woman went through at the hands of the Northern Territory Government, and the people of Australia, who just went to town on her! I was a kid at the time, but she was the main topic of conversation in the schoolyard, in pubs, at dinner parties, in taxis, at bus stops, and at retail counters for YEARS, and none of it was favourable, we talked about her with anyone, everyone, all the time and came up with countless wild theories.

We all thought she did it, or was covering for her son, we thought she named her baby Azaria because it meant 'sacrifice in the dessert', we thought she dressed the baby in black because she worshipped the devil, we thought their religion was hinky She was tried and convicted in the court of public opinion before she was tried and convicted in a court of law and sentenced to prison.

Turns out we were 100% wrong and she had been the victim of a horrible accident. I'll never forget it, what a lesson. I hope they just grant her her wish so she can get on with things and never have to deal with another court for the rest of her life.

RIP Azaria.

Ms G, I was pretty young when this happened too. There was a ton of rumors and stories about it here also. It's funny, but I don't think I ever quit being suspicious of the parents. After reading this article though, I've changed my mind. If you had gotten away with killing your baby, and successfully blamed it on dingos, why invite authorities to look at your case again? I think this is what a truly innocent person would do.

I've always been really interested in this case. I'm more than 50% sure that the mother didn't kill the baby, but I do feel there may have been some other details that we, the public (and perhaps investigators as well) were never privvy to.

That being said, something has always nagged me- and no matter how many searches I do, I can't get an answer to it:

Was it common in this part of Australia to take a 2 month old baby camping in the wilderness? I really don't know the answer to that. I'm an urban girl, so the thought of taking an infant camping with me seems really strange, but I realize not everyone practices the same habits as I do!

Just seems like Azaria was kind of young to be included in that type of trip. My 2 month old wasn't really even sleeping through the night (not as a habit, anyway), and I would have driven the rest of my family- husband and older daughter- nutz if I had taken all of us camping, to share a tent and all with a needy newborn in tow!

515001-lindy-chamberlain.gif

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/24/dingo-baby-inquest-number-four

A coroner has opened Australia's fourth inquest into the 1980 death of a nine-week-old baby whose parents say was taken by a dingo from her tent in the Australian outback.

Azaria Chamberlain's mother, Lindy, was convicted and later cleared of murdering her and has always maintained that a wild dog took the baby. She and her ex-husband, Michael Chamberlain, are hoping fresh evidence they have gathered about dingo attacks on children will convince Northern Territory coroner Elizabeth Morris and end relentless speculation that has followed them for 32 years.

Yes. Dingoes are wild dogs. Wild dogs do occasionally attack people, especially small people. Heck, we have Coyote attacks on children out here and they are smaller and shyer than dingoes or any wild dog. Not sure why many Australians could not figure that out in Azaria's case. Kid was left alone in a tent for a while while unsuspecting mom had dinner. A hungry dingo stole the baby and killed it. Tragedy, not murder.

Here's Daily Mail's lengthy take, with many pictures:

Mother battles to clear her name at fourth inquest into the death of baby 32 years
ago ... she has always insisted her daughter was killed by a dingo at Ayers Rock

• Lindy and Michael Chamberlain present fresh evidence of dingo attacks on children
• They want coroner to change baby Azaria's documented cause of death from 'unknown'
• Case was the most notorious and controversial in Australia's legal history
• Their story was immortalised by Meryl Streep in the 1988 film A Cry In The Dark
• Couple are still fighting to end speculation that they killed their baby
the story at link above

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane