James Hoover testimony (P.I. worked with Dominic Casey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthsleuth

Reaction score
Next witness: James Hoover.

JB: What is your occupation?
Private investigator.
When did you fist get involved in this case?
in July 2008.
In what capacity?
As a private citizen.
Did you eventually become a PI for someone in this case? Who?
George and Cindy Anthony in the beginning of August, July 2008.

He introduced himself to GA and CA.

JB: They accepted?
Yes.
What did you do for them?
Primarily kept people harassing them away.
Did you act as a body guard?
Pretty much.

Dominic Casey was working for a short period for the defense? And there was a falling out?
Yes.
And then he worked exclusively for GA and CA?
Yes.

I followed only one tip from him.
And can you tell us what you did?
I met him at his office.
Tell us what you did, not what he told you.
We left and went to Suburban Drive.
What were you supposed to do with him that day?
You were supposed to go to a meet and greet with GA and CA?
Yes.

JB shows items to Hoover.

James Hoover w/JB....occupation Licensed Private Investigator...first got involved in July 2008...private citizen basically...youngest son asked me to help...don't tell us what others told you.....speak more slower....involved in this case as LPI? I am one but I went as a private citizen...I provided services for GA & CA....end of August or beginning of July.....I went down and volunteered my service when he was in the front yard....they accepted.....what did you do for A's...primarily came down to meetings...there was a lot of harrassment by people @ their house....kept them away...act as a body guard pretty much...follow up on tips...in conjunction with man named Dominick Casey - he worked for a short time for DT then a falling out then worked exclusively for GA & CA - then worked together w/him as a team...

I only followed up with him on a live Caylee tip on 11/15/08 - met Mr. Casey @ his office @ 8:15...he had something to tell me.....he left his office and went to Suburban Drive...he had called me night before to provide @ a meet and greet security for GA & CA....then we went to Suburban Drive and looked for Caylee ...supposed to be on Suburban Drive just standing there? no she was supposed to be in the woods deceased....approach w/DT #FC....reviewed these items? his originals but not the copies.....the originals were on a tape on videocamera ---DT #FE & FD

it is not labeled but it looks like one of the tapes I turned in....the other one? again it looks like one of the tapes I turned over but not labeled by me...

relates to ....opportunity to see? just the contents of one....the video you took with DC? the first 20 seconds it did....move into evidence....is it longer than the first 20 seconds? yes approx. 2 min...
Approach sidebar.

4:01

DIRECT EXAMINATION OF JAMES HOOVER BY JB

Licensed investigator who first got involved in this case in July 2008 as a private citizen. He began working in this case as a private citizen. He began working as an investigator for the A's at the end of July or beginning of August. He introduced himself to the A's in their front yard. They accepted his service. He dealt with the harassment in the front yard. He helped with following up on tips in conjunction with DC.

It was his understanding that DC worked for the defense for a short period of time and then began working exclusively for the A's - then he and DC worked as a team following up with tips.

He only followed one tip with DC - that was the 11/14/08 tip. He didn't learn of the tip until 11/15/08.

He met DC at his office at about 8:15 a.m.. He said he had something to tell him.

OBJECTION - hearsay - SUSTAINED

They were scheduled to go to provide security for the A's at a meet and greet.

Instead they went to Suburban Drive and proceeded to look for Caylee. She was supposed to be deceased and in the wooded area.

He video taped a lot of the search. He was shown Defense Composite Exhibit FC. He reviewed his originals which were on tape - Defense Exhibits FD and FE. He has only seen the first 20 second.

JB attempted to move it into evidence and LDB had no objection to the first 20 seconds being admitted (LOL)!

SIDEBAR #7 (4:09-4:12)

Jury being sent out at 4:12

BC is on FOX35 saying he has seen the tape and it was DC and JH walking through the woods and then talking to a psychic.

JB and witness looking at tape.

Court in recess for 3 minutes.

Introducing the tape into evidence. Tape published to jury.
This tape was video taped 1 month before Caylee's body was found.

JB: Did Mr. Casey know you were videotaping him?
No sir.

Can you identify the general vicinity?
(Looking up and down Suburban drive.)

Can you identify the general vicinity where Caylee was found?
Yes, I ...

Did you watch news reports of the area where Caylee was found?
Yes.
Can you compare what you saw to what you are looking at now?

Objection from LDB.

JB: Where in this area did you search?
The length of Suburban, I moved my car all along there. I think there are 5 homes there and we walked along 4 of them.
JB: Did you search from the fence all the way over (to Hopespring)?
Not all the way ... up to the fence there.

Tape runs again. We see DC coming from woods, talking on phone.

Now there's an image of DC near fence looking in black plastic bags.

What are you looking for in the black plastic bags?
Caylee's remains.

Tape shows sheds, wooden structures, mostly what looks like junk. This is on the OTHER side of Suburban if I remember correctly.

Mr. Casey is digging near a fence, removing wooden planks. Then digs in soil. This is near a green garbage can. Does not find anything.

J Hoover w/JB
Fair and accurate representation of the original videotape....approx 1 month before remains were found.....publish to jury.....

location on Suburban Drive....shows Dom Casey on phone....where relation to where Caylee found (object-sustain) are you aware of where he remains were eventually found.....stop video...can you identify the general area from this photo where Caylee was found....just touch where you believe she was actually found....Object-witness belief where she was found

Sir on 12/11/08 where she was found....watch news? Object- based upon news reports and what someone else told him is improper - sustained

on Suburban Drive - we were looking for 3 pavers ...walk along road - started @ Hopespring Dr toward the school...Hopespring drive right here....wooden fence is right here....search from fence all way over....not quite to fence ....probably closer to first pole there....show man in white shirt looking in woods while on phone....he walks out and looks up and down the street he .......voice says this is James Hoover D&A investigations...

this is ...50' to 60' yards from where parked car....why looking in black plastic bags...object sustained..what looking for ? Caylee remains........show man walking thru weeds up to his knees looks into an open shed....looks around to see white truck type ....small shed with window...DC is digging in flower bed area....moving wood.....there is a brick is that ? voice says something? right there yea.

went back to searching toward the house with ....plastic bag right here......how far into woods are you here? at this point probably about 15 feet.....picture of a garment? he picks up a blanket...we found ....what kind of blanket? I am not sure....small blanket.......close up on blue plastic piece.....flyer D&A investigations...

Hopespring is behind us I parked closer to where she was eventually found....you were parked right next to where her remains were found? objection - no personal knowledge...how far away from privacy fence...basing on the number of utility poles...I believe there are 5 of them there and I was parked at about the third one....

I want to show you aerial picture...Object- sidebar.

Mr. Casey finds plastic bag. Small blanket.
Next day, November 16, Hopespring is behind them in the video.
Near 3rd utility pole down from Hopespring but on Suburban.

SIDEBAR.

JB: Mr. H, do you see Hopespring right here? And Suburban right here?
Yes.
Do you see the privacy fence right here?
Yes.
Show us where you parked.
Here
Show us where you search both days.
JH tries to circle areas covered. Says it's hard to know without knowing where the utility poles are.
How far are you parked from the privacy fence there?
Maybe 35 feet.

Video continues. MUCH vegetation everywhere.

Casey enters area, How could anyone find anything there?
Did you see tht fallen tree right there?
I see the paper we were looking for.
You searched right in that area?
Oh yeah.

[AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, UNLESS YOU TRIPPED OVER THE SKULL/BONES, YOU'D NEVER BE ABLE TO FIND THEM UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS.]

HHBP the exhibit number....JB brings up a photo being used on the overhead projector...publish to jury...Mr. Hoover - do you see Hopespring Dr and Suburban Drive...see where privacy fence here...where parked car the second day...right around in here....areas searched in 2nd day.....looks for the poles as a marker for himself...zoom out draw a circle of areas you think you covered....Hoover takes his time...states without knowing where those poles are it is really hard...how far from privacy fence...75 to 100 feet tops....continue to play video....JB is shown how to use the equipment....
walking along the drop off next to the road.... there appears to be thick thick vegetaton and someone said here it is right here - shows a cement paver...did you just see that fallen tree that was right there...I see paver - I saw that down tree trunk - right there on video we searched that area....3 cinderblocks right there voice saying...I am not seeing the video....voice saying I will follow you...there's three more over there....

video up showing man walking thru dense vegetation some brown wood and fallen leaves..he appears to dig something ...wear ing gloves...video pixelates....lost feed

Went w/DC to Suburban Drive near where remains were found in November 2008 a month before remains found...didn't share that info with the A's @ the time.....showing blowup aerial photo Exh.#57 publish to jury...JB holds in front of jurors....LDb table (I dont see JA currently)....went to these locations 1 month before Caylee was found...on or shortly thereafter Caylee remains were found...didn't think I still had it - child's christmas parade thought it was taped over...the tape I had videotaped over - the original film could be brought up if taped over...suggested by a famous Bounty Hunter...don't tell us....the original tape was never for sale....the A trusted you in their inner circle - they trusted you - you tried to sell evidence....you are referring to DC said he had still shots...everyone was broke right around Christmas... DC would supply photos to be sold... tried to sell your own ...everyone was broke...DC was broke the A's were broke...I wouldn't need the money...not kindness of my own heart....someone need it more than me.....we are talking about the video....no we are talking about the photos...trying to sell the photos not the video...the video had been taped over...I gave 2 videos ....I had my car - I had it in on 11th or 12...did they lie? the kids video was another video you thought was this video....the one I gave to John Allen I inquired if original film could be brought up...you met w/LE in Publix parking lot....gave them another video purporting to be this video...I gave them 2 or 3 videos...the one I taped over thought I did ....one of the videos ...I had 2 cameras that day - the camera now works...you tried to sell to Fox News...this video was not available until December....I did not contact anybody other than John Allen, and other LE....try to sell the video for $50K...no ...someone told me it was worth $200K.....did you make any money off this video? no sir.....JB asks for a moment

After you found Caylee was found, did you notify LE of this tape that you had
No.
Eventually you attempted to sell the tape, did you not?
No.
The Anthonys trusted you, did they not?
Yes, sir. DC had still shots and he told me had them and was willing to sell them.
Are you suggesting that you AND Mr. Casey were going to sell these photos?
Why would you do something like that?
Everyone was broke. DC was broke, the A's were broke.
You were going to give the money to the A's?
Yes. I didn't need it.
You were doing this out of the kindness of your heart?
No, they needed it more than I did.
Did you not think the video was more important to LE?
i was trying to sell the photos.
Did you eventually give video to LE?
I gave two videos to LE.
Did you lie to LE when you asked for the video and you gave them something else?
No.
Did you give them another video that you THOUGHT was this video?
You met LE with this video, you gave them another video purporting it was this video?
I gave them two videos.
And none of the two videos was THIS video?
You tried to sell this video to FOX? How much did you try to sell the video for?
There was never a price.
Did you ever try to sell this video for $50,000?
No sir. The person I spoke with told me it was worth $200,000.
Did you ever make ANY money off of this video?
No.

LDB - you tried to give LE bad video.....gave one bad color and one of Christmas pagent or parade...the video of the woods had been taped over....that wasnt true? I believed it was true...you still had it....I believed it was taped over....I was going thru a bunch of tapes in Dec. I came across what I thought was a blank tape I turned over to LE...the 2 tapes with the little bit on it were turned over right away to Nick Savage trying to get them to talk to this lady who supposedly had this information...you are introducing this woman to Nick Savage and John Allen....the day you turned over the worthless videotapes...wasn't til 2 or 3 weeks later you found the video tapes....in Jan 7 2009 you were contacted by LE to turn over tapes....thru my Attorney....talk over each other ...admonish by HHBP ...is it your testimony you were trying to sell the two worthless video tapes or this tape that we saw we saw in court...Listen carefully, I thought there was nothing on the tape I thought I taped over it...certain tapes can be found if not taped over...

Cross

Were you trying ot sell these two worthless videos?
Explains that he was confused about what tapes he was attempting to sell. Tells LDB to "listen carefully."

So you thought you had something in your possession could be worthy up to $200,000?

Did you try to secretly videotape the Anthonys? You were trying to capitalize on these individuals correct?
No.
When you went to this location in Nov. 2008, you were secretly taping DC.
For first 20 seconds.
When asked if DC knew, you said he didn't know.
Not at first, no. But then I told him.

This marking you've made was the 2nd day, correct? Where were you the first day?
Hard to show.
Do you know where the intersection of Suburban and Hopespring is?
Yes.
(Shows he parked further down Suburban, more toward school.)

I filmed DC, and the film had a lot of off-color to it. I switched cameras. Then I backed up to here (toward Suburban and "find" site).

Is this last marked in blue where you believe Mr. Casey was in the first video
segment when DC was on the phone?
Yes.
Mark it on the image.
OK.
Did you return again that day? to the same spot?
I don't know where he (DC) went in, but I saw where he came out. He saw pavers.
Was it in the same area? That's the best you can answer me as to where you and DC went in the woods?
Yes.
Mark that area then.
Earlier you said you parked at the third light pole?
Second day at the third light pole.

Commercial break!

You did find out that there were people trying to secretly videotape the A's at a time when their granddaughter was either missing or deceased.....you are secretly taping DC - you are sitting in a car...for first 20 seconds....when you said on direct exam you said he didn't know ...no I said he did know....part of the video right on Suburban Drive...publish DT #63....mark made here - this was 2nd day...where were you first day....touch the screen....where is Suburban on here? I mean Hopespring on the diagram...do you know where the intersection of Suburban and Hopespring is? yes I have been there - don't see streets here...zoom back out...first parked right about here...move mike closer....first saw DC get out of car....first day parked near Hopespring he goes into the edge of the woods..he had moved my cameras off front seat to back seat...I got my camera...check film....first camera had bad color so I changed cameras...changed film? see DC in woods somewhere...probably right here...what mean probably? is he there or not...this isn't exact science here....is this blue mark where you believed Mr. Casey is when he is talking on the phone the first time....when return did you return again that day? yes .....went there first ...went to the house...came back to wooded area...come back to this same spot...I don't know here he went in...or where came out but when we went into together...3 pavers...looking for that as a ...where you and Mr. Casey continued taping process....on 2nd day the third light pole...this black mark is...the third black mark from what location...I think there are 5 poles...where are you counting from...if you go down there...I don't think one @ the corner I think a little ways down from the corner...3rd light light pole from corner...might have been a concrete pole...we went in just a little closer toward Hopespring 10 - 15" closer to where the car was the black mark...I think we went in right in front of the car on day 2...during videotape...blanket or towel...in fact it was a bath mat...I don't know I never picked it up...were you listening to video where Mr. Casey said it was a bath mat...to this day don't know exactly where Caylee's skull was located, her skeleton, a red Disney bag No to all...while out there are several fallen trees or logs in the video....a toilet out there a broken one....I don't remember toilet I remember a sign...I don't remember a green and white umbrella...what did encounter when several feet into the woods was water...no Mam...didn't end up in any water? no ....were you with him the whole time...we left there @ meet and greet place w/GA and CA and neither of them was dirty (?) we changed clothes the next day....clothes didn't get wet shoes were little soggy...only days 15th & 16th...were not there in Oct, Sept, August or July 2008....

redirect...JB - Mr. Hoover, never gave DT or JB that video - never tried to sell to JB nothing to do with JB on that video...what were you doing there on that day? looking for Caylee's remains....witness excused subject to recall.

4:30

The witness has looked at both tapes and can authenticate them.

Jury coming back (out from 4:12-4:31)

DIRECT EXAMINATION OF JAMES HOOVER BY JB - continued

Tape marked as Defense Exhibit 62.

The tape was made approximately a month before Caylee was found. DC knew he was being taped.

Tape was made on Suburban Drive. He was asked to indicate the general vicinity of where he believed Caylee was found.

OBJECTION - foundation - SUSTAINED

Initially they walked the length of Suburban looking for three pavers They started at the Hopespring end where the wooded fence is and then headed toward the school.

This home was within 50 to 60 yards of where he parked his car. They were looking in black plastic bags for Caylee's remains.

After the house, they then went to the wooden area close to the house. They looked in another plastic bag. At that point they were about 15 feet into the woods. They also found a small blanket.

The next tape was of the 16th. They were looking closer to where she was actually found. He was going by the number of utility poles - there were 5 and he parked at about the 3rd one down.

JB wanted to show him Exhibit 57 and LDB objected as there were markings already on it.

SIDEBAR #8 (4:43-4:45)

He was shown an aerial photo and identified Suburban Drive, Hopespring and the privacy fence. He indicated where he parked his car on the second day. He also marked the areas that they searched the first and the second day.

The video continued and they found three pavers. They searched all around that area. Video continues, showing DC poking around at things in the woods. "He was probing for remains."

They were then back at the house and found three cement blocks - 1,2,3.

Video ended

He was then showed Defense FF and marked where he parked the second day.

OBJECTION - SUSTAINED - don't continue to do that.

The witness was told to sign and date the document and no one knew what the date is.

Defense Exhibit FF marked as Defense Exhibit 63. He stated it fairly depicted where he parked his car.

He went out there on the 15th and 16th of November.

He did not report his findings to the A's.

He was shown another map - Defense Exhibit 57. He identified the location of the abandoned house. Photo published to the Jury.

On December 11, 2008 he did not notify LE of the tape. Initially he didn't think there was anything on the tape and thought that he had taped over it.

He did not attempt to sell that tape. This was suggested to him by LP that the tape could be worth someone. The original tape was never for sale.

The A's entrusted into their inner circle. He had potential evidence in this case. What JB was referring to as him trying to sell were photos that DC had. They were still shots. DC said he would be willing to sell them.

DC was going to supply the photos to be sold. He did try to sell the photos to Fox News. Everybody was broke, DC was broke, the A's were broke. It was for the funds and he was going to give the money to DC and the A family. JH said he didn't need the money.

He thought the video had been taped over. He did not know it had not until the end of the year.

When LE approached him, he gave them 2 videos.

He did not lie to LE. The first video he gave them was another video which he thought was this video. He did not then try to sell the video.

He met with LE in the Publix parking lot. He did not have this video at that time. He gave them two or three videos. One of the two videos had some of this info on it. He had two cameras that day and one malfunctioned. That was the tape he originally gave LE.

This video today was not available until the end of the year. There was never a price placed on this video. Someone told him it was worth a lot. He did not try to sell it for $50,000. Someone told him it was worth $200,000. He did not make any money off this video.

CROSS EXAM BY LDB

This video - you were trying to hold out for the highest video - NO.

He gave two videos to LE - one contained bad color and the other had a Christmas parade.

He told LE that the video trip to the woods had been taped over. That was true. He believed it was taped over. Then, in December he was going thru a bunch of tapes, what he thought were blank, and he immediately got in touch with an attorney who got in touch with LE and he turned them over.

He tried to get John Allen and Nick Savage, on 12/18/08, to talk to some woman. She introduced herself - she followed him down to meet them.

It wasn't until 2 to 3 weeks later that he found the tape.

1/7/09 he contacted and he turns over the tape that they saw? No - wrong.

Were you trying to sell the 2 worthless tapes? The first tape that John Allen got on December 11 or 12 - that was the tape he thought was from the woods that he taped over. Someone told him the video could be brought back, but he found out it couldn't.

He believes when he found the other tape, he contacted Baez, then another attorney, then turned them over to LE.

Secretly taping A's? No. He was not trying to capitalize on his relationship with the A's.

When he went to the woods in 11/15/08 he was not secretly taping DC. He said DC knew he was being taped. He parked at the first pole by Hopespring.

He was asked to mark where he was on Suburban Drive on the first day.

He did not recognize the intersection of Hopespring and Suburban. He has been there, just couldn't see it on the picture. He then found it and marked where they parked on the first day.

On the first day he filmed DC when he got out of the car. He then checked his tape, saw the color was bad and switched to another camera. He then had to back up to see DC. He marked approximately where DC was when he was talking on the phone.

They went to Suburban Drive first, then went to the abandoned house and then went back to the wooded area. When they went in together, they went looking for 3 pavers. It was a marker and they were supposed to go in there to start looking for the remains.

He then marked the area where he believed they moved on to.

On the second day they parked at the third light pole. He thinks there are 5 poles. He then stated they were concrete poles, not light poles. On the second day they went in a little bit further, closer to Hopespring. He thinks they went in right in front of the car.

Regarding the blanket, he did not know it was identified as a bathmat as DC on the tape.

To this day, he doesn't know exactly where the remains were found.

He never saw a red Disney bag.

There were several fallen trees or logs in the woods.

There was a parking sign out in the woods.

He did not encounter any water in the woods. They were probably 40 to 50 feet apart in the woods.

The second day he saw water in the woods. The water was 15 feet from the road into the woods. His clothes didn't get wet but his shoes got kind of soggy.

These were the only 2 days he was there. He was not there in July, August, September or October.

No further questions.

REDIRECT EXAM BY JB

He did not give the video to JB and never tried to sell it to him.

What were they doing in the woods a month before she was found? Looking for her remains.

No further questions.

Witness is excused subject to recall.

SIDEBAR # 9 (5:27-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads