Police: Boy Accidentally Strangled Himself During Prank

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
KENDALLVILLE, Ind. -- A 12-year-old boy strangled himself during a prank that his family said he had pulled before.

Joseph Sparkman of Kendallville was pronounced dead at a Fort Wayne hospital Wednesday after being removed from life support, according to Kendallville police. He had a history of playing a prank in which he would wrap the draperies from a four-poster bedaround his neck to startle family members.
On Monday, family members found the boy unconscious in a kneeling position on the floor, police said.

Kendallville Police Department Detective Lance Waters said the boy's mother had scolded her son in the past for the prank. He lost consciousness while playing the prank, and his full body weight caused the decorative drapery to cut off his air supply, authorities said.

The Allen County Coroner's Office ruled the death accidental, caused by asphyxia due to strangulation. "He would never, ever do this on purpose," his mother, Angela Nordman, told The Evening Star of Auburn. "He was too happy, he had too much to live for.

"He was the class clown. He was so funny. He was always making everyone laugh. If I was ever down, he could always put a smile on my face."

http://www.thelouisvillechannel.com/news/3823410/detail.html

Anybod else wonder why the draperies were still in existance if he had pulled this trick before?

Ghostwheel said:
Anybod else wonder why the draperies were still in existance if he had pulled this trick before?
Boys do so many dangerous things...so so sad...:(

Ghostwheel said:
Yes, I thought about this, I wondered if it would have solved this boys obsession with pranks or would he try something else. (for attention)

I am sure his parents must be beating themselves up over not removing them :(

It's just made me think about things that might look safe, but could be an issue. This COULD have happened the first time he did it, even though it didn't. I would not have thought that a set of draperies would be dangerous to a 12 year old. It just would never have occured to me.

I keep thinking, did these drapes just look like something that he really could not have strangled himself on, so everyone thought it just a silly prank the first time?

Scary.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back