Toxicology, Organic Chemistry and JB

artbuc

Reaction score
As a chemical engineer, it pains me to see how utterly ignorant JB is regarding some of the technical isssues in this case. Toxicology can be easily defined as the harmful effects of chemicals on living organisms. There is not a strict definition of organic chemistry although most would say it has to do with carbon containing chemicals. Of course there are some carbon containing compounds which most would agree are inorganic. For JB to suggest that a toxicologist is not competent to determine if a compound is organic or not because he isn't an organic chemist is ludicrous. His arguments regarding qualitative vs quantitative chemical analysis also reflect a fundamental misunderstanding of what these terms mean and were quite misleading to the jury.

BTW, if the Court requires an expert witness to have a recognized degree in their field of expertise, eg Dr. Vass can not call himself a chemist or testify regarding chemistry, then how in the world can someone qualify as an expert traumatologist who has not been certified and doesn't even though what a peer review is? Yikes!

I agree that Baez has a poor understanding of scientific issues, although not nearly as poor as the defense's supposed go-to scientific person, Dorothy Sims, but legal wrangling is standard with this stuff. Ashton persuaded the court to limit defense witness Dr. Furton's expertise to strictly toxicology even though Furton had experience and credentials in lab auditing for accreditation. It was a brilliant legal maneuver by Ashton even though it was nonsensical in a common sense way. Ashton accomplished it precisely because Baez is so inept.

Sally Karioth is certified as a traumatologist by the Green Cross, something I find sketchy but the court was convinced. As I posted before, traumatology in an medical sense is the study wounds so psychologists refer to the field as psychotraumatology.

Sally Karioth is certified as a traumatologist by the Green Cross, something I find sketchy but the court was convinced. As I posted before, traumatology in an medical sense is the study wounds so psychologists refer to the field as psychotraumatology.

Oops. Missed that. I suppose Green Cross certification is so robust that members can offer opinions without knowing the facts and/or interviewing the victim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back