The Jury, Deliberations, The Verdict, Penalty Phase???

Never4GetCaylee

Reaction score
I have a ton of questions about the jury, deliberations, the verdict and penalty phase. I'm sorry, I did some searches, but didn't find specific answers and didn't really know what thread to ask on...please move mods if a whole new thread is not appropiate.

1. Is there any way the jurors will be home for the 4th of the July? Or with the penalty phase, for that matter, by the time the London Juror needs to leave on July 7th?

2. Since closing arguments are on Sunday, even if they decide in 10 minutes...which I know won't happen...will they announce the verdict on Sunday night? Or if they decide Monday, will the announce the verdict on the the 4th of July or wait until Tuesday?

3. Do they deliberate as long as they want per day...or are there set hours...like 9am-5pm.

4. Are they stuck in that little jury room the whole time?

5. If they deliberate on 4th of July, does everyone have to be available if they have a question? I ask that because I thought I read their questions have to be read in open court?

3. Do the jurors get to leave right after the verdict is announced or are they held until the penalty phase?

4. If they are held for the penalty phase, how long could that take?

5. What if they lose a juror unavoidably (say, due to illness) after the verdict but before the penalty phase?

6. If the London juror wants out as to not miss her London vacation and she realizes they won't be decided by July 7th and asks to be excused, will the HHJP allow it?

7. What do the alternates do while the 12 are deliberating?

8. If the verdict comes down on say Wednesday, when do you think they could the jurors realistically go home?

I have a ton of questions about the jury, deliberations, the verdict and penalty phase. I'm sorry, I did some searches,

3. Do the jurors get to leave right after the verdict is announced or are they held until the penalty phase?
SOCALSLEUTH SAID Originally Posted by Bobbarita in Lawyer's thread.
After the verdict, is there a break for the jurors before the penalty phase begins?
No.
Do the jurors remain sequestered?
Yes.

AZLAWYER SAID
Originally Posted by Bobbarita
After the verdict, is there a break for the jurors before the penalty phase begins? Do the jurors remain sequestered (if there's a break)? What role does the judge play in the penalty phase? Thanks for answering my questions.
It's up to HHJP whether there is a break and, if so, whether the jurors will remain sequestered during the break.

Maybe someone else can help. I think most of your questions are related to jury deliberations and it's kind of impossible for us to guess how long they will take to come to a verdict.

Thanks Never4GetCaylee for starting this thread!

I am wondering and hopefully someone can answer....
When the jury are deliberating, do they get transcripts to read over or do they just go off of their memory or notes they took during the trial?

Great questions!

When they are deliberating, do they decide the death penalty right then too or is that after the verdict is reached?

When the jury are deliberating, do they get transcripts to read over or do they just go off of their memory or notes they took during the trial?

Originally Posted by mimmy03
while deliberating does the jury get transcripts of the jailhouse phone calls, depos, police interviews, etc... for refer back to during their deliberations? or do they have to rely solely on the notes they may or may not have taken during the trial?

They rely on their notes of the testimony. They do not get transcripts, depos, police interviews etc.. They have the admitted physical evidence, their notes and their memories. They can come back and ask that some particular testimony be read back to them, but that is not common.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6807466&postcount=381"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal Questions for our Verified Lawyers #4[/ame]
(Lawyers thread)

Dang, that worries me.
I've seen plenty of tweets from inside the court room saying not much note taking was done. I guess this is where the SA will refresh everyone's memories during the closing argument????

Great questions!

When they are deliberating, do they decide the death penalty right then too or is that after the verdict is reached?

Originally Posted by pipkins
This is a great thread and Thanks to all you experts for taking time to answer
My question is regarding the sentencing. Once the jurors have deliberated and a verdict is reached please can you tell me what happens next?
* Are we warned when verdict is going to be read?
* Who reads verdict?
* What happens then with sentencing?
* Does the judge sentence on the same day
Im not sure on USA law so would love to know your opinion....ooooh and also if I may
* if the verdict is reached in a very short amount of time is this usually a GUILTY verdict or vice versa if deliberations are taking a long long time is this any indication?
So many questions I know and I appreciate your time
Thank You :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "warned." HHJP will announce when he has been informed that the jury has reached a verdict, if that's what you mean.

HHJP will ask the jury how they find on each count, and the foreperson will answer.

Then we move on to the penalty phase if there is a guilty verdict on 1st degree or felony murder. Evidence is presented regarding aggravating and mitigating circumstances. The jury recommends death (by a majority vote) or LWOP. The judge then schedules a sentencing hearing at which he might hear additional information, and then he will decide whether to accept the jury's recommendation.

If there is no guilty verdict on a death-eligible charge, there will be no penalty phase but there will still be a sentencing hearing, which will be separately scheduled.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135704&page=50

Unfortunately for the jury, there is NO WAY the jury will get to go home between guilt & penalty phases...NO WAY.
The national coverage of this case means that their families, friends & neighbors have heard details they haven't....NO WAY in a DP trial would HHJP allow the jury to become tainted right before recommending sentence.

I feel bad for the jury, but I am thankful they have just a few more days of service for Caylee. And since they know they're stuck well after the verdict is read, the holiday won't influence any haste either.
We need this done right, so the next & last time we see ICA, it is her death announcement.

I thought that HHJP told them they could have transcript on any witness they wanted. This was the day thatthe jury wanted to see the heart evidence ..thejury also asked if they would be able to look at transcripts..i thought ..but maybe i am incorrect that judge Perry said yes to transcripts they request.

Thank you for all those great questions NeverForgetCaylee!

You covered all my questions and a couple I hadn't thought of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back