The "Who Smelled What" Chart

DawnTCB

Taking Care of Business
Reaction score
I thought JB's chart about who smelled the car was very interesting. I was intrigued by the idea that we could make a list of who did and did not smell it, and watching today I went along with JB's list. :crazy: But as I have looked at it tonight I have realized that his list wasn't very complete and people got put on different sides for odd reasons.

First he lists the people who did smell the car:
1. Bloise. JB says he doesn't count because he wavered between "decomp" and "human decomp".
2. Dpty Forgey & the dog. JB says they don't count because of some mysterious (to me) point JB was making about two cars and one car and the deputy lying. I believe this was determined to be a clerical error, not a lie, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.
3. Michael Vincent - apparently he counts
4. Dr. Arpad Vass - JB says we'll get to him later
5. CA - who JB says only said it was a dead body to get police there faster. Of course we all know she took this statement back a million times and insisted it was garbage. Not sure why she got to stay on the "smelled it" side.
6. Simon Birch. JB says he doesn't count because he made his statement 9 days later after seeing stories on the news, although I say, why should OCSO use their valuable resources to take his statement in a rush - he was not a likely suspect...? And is he saying he made up the smell because he watched NG?
7. GA - who JB says did an amazing job of informing YM about the smell (he said this really snarky, like GA should not have done so)
8. Dr. Neal Haskell - who JB implies for $40K explained "several theories"

Then he goes to the people who did not smell it:
1."Karen" Sanchez from Amscot (her actual name on the state witness list is Katherine) who said the car was parked near the dumpster and she did smell something but assumed the garbage smell was coming from the dumpster.
2. TL - who last was breathing the air around ICA's car on 6/24 I believe
3. Charity Beasley - who said she didn't remember whether or not there was a smell
4. & 5. Maria Kissh & Clint House - although TL testified they were in the car June 4th
6. Sgt. Hosey- who was asked by CM did you smell a foul odor and he said "I did." Hmmm. Then JB points out he did not investigate it. So he gets to be on the "did not smell it" side.
7. Dpty Ryan Eberlin - he said he did not smell it.
8. YM - oops he did smell it. But JB says YM had to be directed to smell it and again points out he didn't do anything about it so he is on the "did not smell it" side.
9. Rendon Fletcher - who said he smelled an odor but was not sure if it was from the car or the garage
10. Adrianna Acevedo - who said she was inexperienced but smelled a garbage like smell

I noticed ICA was not pictured, even though she sent texts saying she thought it smelled like something died in there. And of course LA smelled it but didn't make either list.

So I did a little search on "smell" on the witness testimony forum... and found some more people who didn't make the cut for JB's list:

Dr. Furton, who testified that there was chloroform in cheese and water, confirmed there was a smell two years later.
Dr. Huntington, who tried to convince the jury there was a sliver of salami that stunk up the car for years, agreed the car still smelled two years later.
Dr. Marcus Wise who examined the trunk liner

I know why JB left them off, but he started with 8 people on the "smelled it" side (at least 5 of whom he dismisses for various reasons) and 10 people on the "did not smell it" side, two of whom JB himself said did actually smell it but were banished to the "did not smell it" side because they didn't take immediate action.

So, if we were to make a new "who smelled what" chart for LDB tomorrow :) oops later today, I think it would have three columns.

People who confirmed they smelled a dead body or something decomposing:
1. Bloise
2. Forgey and his dog
3. Michael Vincent
4. Dr. Arpad Vass
5. Dr. Neal Haskell
6. Simon Birch
7. CA
8. GA
9. LA
10. ICA
11. Sgt Hosey
12. YM (after GA directed him to it)
13. Dr. Furton
14. Dr. Huntington
15. Dr. Wise

People who confirmed they smelled something they could not confirm as decomp but agreed it was a bad smell:
1. Katherine Sanchez
2. Rendon Fletcher
3. Adrianna Acevedo

People who were in or around the car in the time frame in question and confirmed they did not smell anything :
1. Dpty Ryan Eberlin
2. TL (with the caveat that he was not very near to the car, but if it was bad enough he should have been able to smell something, maybe)

This sure gives a different picture.

I think State will address this tomorrow. He put people on the list who smelled it before she was even dead. And JB doesn't get to decide who counts and who doesn't. The jury does. I totally trust the tow truck guy because why would he lie? He doesn't even have a dog in the fight. And while we're at it I believe the dogs as well. Actually I believe all that said it because we know there was a body in that trunk.

Thanks isn't enough for this--I'm sure others like me who are relatively new (less than a year) to WS really appreciate having things summed up like this! Thanks again!

I think it would be funny if they made a magnet chart. :)

And also a chart of who and who is not a chemist.

Actually I believe all that said it because we know there was a body in that trunk.

I completely agree. I am sure JB thought he could make it sound like most of the people on the "smelled it" list were disreputable and put some of the smellers and uninvolved parties on the "did not smell it" list and that would be convincing. Hopefully the jury is smart enough to see through that.

18 out of 20 smelled SOMETHING! that's 90%

THANK YOU DawnTCB!!

The entire "Who Smelled It" routine as you so awesomely charted out for us is exactly the same way that the 'change for a $20' con artists work.

The entire trial has been just one big con game to the defense team.

I agree, that the defense has been using con games continuously through trial.

Here's a good example of someone falling for it....

My Dad only knows bits and pieces of info from this case but watched closing arguments yesterday. He said he thought JB did a great job and brought up very valid points, he thought she would get off with a light sentence (I had to bite my tongue). I asked him what he would think if I told him that JB either lied, mistruthed, misled, left out important info, twisted info through the entire closing argument? Would you still think he did a good job? He said, no and I would think SHE'S DEFINITELY GUILTY!!!

I can only hope the jury picked up on his mistruths, twists and blatant lies. I know LDB and Ashton will point them out during rebuttal also.

Dawn, Thank You for your work. I'd say you have certainly taken care of business in showing exactly the degree that Baez was going yesterday with his "shuck and jive", "smoke and mirrors" version of a closing statement.

Any way you slice it, dice it, or chop it up FIFTEEN people, including the murder suspect's own mother and father, confirmed they smelled a dead body or something decomposing PLUS Three more who smelled something bad but couldn't identify the odor!

As opposed to his fantasy version of the truth, these fifteen witnesses stack up, in real life, against:

-ONE LE Officer who didn't smell anything

-A "bed buddy" who never got any closer to her trunk than the front of his own car

and

-A "real pretty girl", as Jose described her, who was in the car TWO WEEKS before the murder!

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t was the theme of the day for FOUR HOURS yesterday.

He's such a liar! I can't stand him. Thank you, this helps a lot. People shouldn't take those 4 hours of BS he talked about as evidence. I hope the jury thinks back to what they actually heard during those 6 weeks.

Oh I hope the state brings their own board and points out where exactly the jury can look to read about who smelled what.

Dawn, Thank You for your work. I'd say you have certainly taken care of business in showing exactly the degree that Baez was going yesterday with his "shuck and jive", "smoke and mirrors" version of a closing statement.

Any way you slice it, dice it, or chop it up FIFTEEN people, including the murder suspect's own mother and father, confirmed they smelled a dead body or something decomposing PLUS Three more who smelled something bad but couldn't identify the odor!

As opposed to his fantasy version of the truth, these fifteen witnesses stack up, in real life, against:

-ONE LE Officer who didn't smell anything

-A "bed buddy" who never got any closer to her trunk than the front of his own car

and

-A "real pretty girl", as Jose described her, who was in the car TWO WEEKS before the murder!

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t was the theme of the day for FOUR HOURS yesterday.

Thanks, ITA. Through JB's 4 hrs. the song Razzle Dazzle was in my head. here is a snipet of some of the lyrics. This song really sums up the whole DT case for me.

Give 'em the old razzle dazzle
Razzle Dazzle 'em
Give 'em an act with lots of flash in it
And the reaction will be passionate
Give 'em the old hocus pocus
Bead and feather 'em
How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

Someone mentioned that Lee wasn't on the chart either. He said he smelled something too.

And how about Casey. She abandoned the car after a text to Amy about the car smelling and the squirrel story.

The chart was JB's smokescreen.... He didn't even know who smelled what... He's not even sure what days some people (including the "pretty" girl) were IN the car.

The chart was JB's smokescreen.... He didn't even know who smelled what... He's not even sure what days some people (including the "pretty" girl) were IN the car.

IMO
Baez knows exactly who smelled or did not smell decomp and on which dates...
Baez does not want to jury to remember the testimony of the witnesses but IMO he wants them to consider HIS summation of who smelled decomp and who didn't and when....
:twocents:

BTW...Great topic for a thread!!

Dawn, Thank You for your work. I'd say you have certainly taken care of business

<respectfully snipped>
Thank you! Once I got started I had to research every one of them.

But once I headed to bed way too late, :eek:fftobed: I started thinking... It took me about two hours to put together that post. I had a Macbook and the entire high speed internet available to me, plus a passable working knowledge of where to find things about these testimonies. And the jury has....? Their little notebooks? The quick and dirty transcripts? How could they ever be expected to remember all this stuff? I had three years and I watched most of all of the testimony in the last month. There's no way they could remember all those people.

Then I started thinking, how can someone on a jury hope to make a good decision in a case like this? There is so much information, some of it really important, IMO, in a circumstantial case. They have so much they need to keep track of. <sigh>

Anyway, I hope LDB does talk about who smelled it, including all four A's and even some chemists. :crazy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back