IA IA - Crystal Ann Arensdorf, 20, Dubuque, 4 Jul 2001

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://www.nampn.org/cases/arensdorf_crystal.html

Arensdorf was last seen at approximately 2:00 AM on July 4, 2001 in Dubuque, Iowa. She was at Knickers Saloon (occasionally called Knickers Tavern) in the 2180 block of Central Avenue at the time of her disappearance. She has never been heard from again.

Current article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-ia-coldcase-missingw,0,7165506.story

Associated Press
2:20 p.m. CDT, July 3, 2011

A $10,000 reward is being offered in the disappearance of a woman from a Dubuque tavern a decade ago.

What a pretty young lady. Come home soon.

The Charley Project

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/arensdorf_crystal.html

arensdorf_crystal.jpg
arensdorf_crystal2.jpg

Iowa Cold Cases

http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/crystal-arensdorf/

City of Dubuque

http://www.cityofdubuque.org/index.aspx?NID=1535

North American Missing Persons Network

http://www.nampn.org/cases/arensdorf_crystal.html

http://www.kwwl.com/story/23734626/...ns-family-remembers-victims-of-unsolved-cases

Posted: Oct 19, 2013 6:34 PM EDT
Updated: Oct 19, 2013 8:29 PM EDT
Written by Lauren DeWitt, Multimedia Journalist

DUBUQUE (KWWL) -Unsolved homicides and missing persons cases can be frustrating for not only local law enforcement agencies, but grieving families searching for answers. One group in Dubuque is looking to draw attention to those unsolved homicides and missing persons cases in Dubuque through a day of remembrance.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/25951236/...arensdorfs-family-still-searching-for-answers

A Dubuque family is still searching for answers 13 years after 20-year-old Crystal Arensdorf disappeared without a trace. Arensdorf was last seen at Knicker's Saloon in Dubuque during the early morning of July 4, 2001. Dubuque Police say she was there with friends and trying to get a ride to East Dubuque, Illinois...

Pruetsch said Dubuque police have assigned a new investigator to Arensdorf's case.

"I think he has 17 big fat binders of leaders. So he is going back through all of that and looking at things," Pruetsch said Sunday.

I'm from Davenport, Iowa, which is about an hour south of Dubuque. I was living in Davenport at the time this happened and I faintly remember hearing about it. However, I do not think it at all got the attention is probably should have, as it seems very likely she did not just leave on her own accord. As with virtually every case like this...someone knows what happened or has information.

They should reinterview her "friends" from that night. Surely some of them have matured enough over the past decade to reveal something.

Also, was someone buying her drinks? Was someone friends with the bartender? Did she have a fake ID? Where I'm from, most bars card you after ten P.M. and you're not even allowed in the premises if you're under 21.

http://www.thonline.com/news/tri-state/article_5154d90a-edc0-11e4-8f94-37adacd1f9a9.html

Crystal A. Arensdorf went missing on July 4, 2001, but for her sister it still feels like it happened yesterday.

“It’s hard to think of what would she be like today, if she would have children, what would she be doing with her life,” Jennifer Puetsch said. “It’s been 14 years and we have no clue. There’s no more information than the night she disappeared.”

Several community members are now hoping to offer a substantial reward to help solve Arensdorf’s disappearance and unsolved murders in Dubuque.

This case got a lot of attention among the locals in Dubuque, as I lived there at the time. It's a small town, and there's quite a bit of talk. My friend actually dated her nephew about a decade after she went missing.

Without tarnishing names, it was kind of known that she may have been involved with a bad group of people, and may have made some very dangerous lifestyle choices. Knickers is an infamous bar in the area, and rowdy biker 'gangs' roll through regularly, and you can see them lined up outside on the street at all hours. After this happened they had a really hard time recovering clientele, as people were very freaked out about how this could happen. Dubuque is also literally right on the Mississippi -- there's lots of speculation that that may be her final resting ground.

Still many questions 15 years after Dubuque woman goes missing

http://www.kwwl.com/story/32378670/2016/07/05/still-many-questions-15-years-after-dubuque-woman-goes-missing

"We've continued to receive leads over the years. Unfortunately, those leads have been less frequent as time has progressed, so when we do get a lead, we jump on, follow up on it right away," said Lt. Scott Baxter, with the Dubuque Police.

As the years tick further and further away from 2001, Baxter says it continues to get tougher and tougher.

"That's a long time, and the more time that passes, people tend to forget. Not necessarily forget her, but forget the events that led to her disappearance, specifically that night, and that early morning hour," he said.

"This case has always had an investigator assigned to it. As people circulated through criminal investigative division, we've always had someone assigned and following up on leads, and staying in contact with family members. It's a case that we've never forgotten about, we continue to work it when we have leads come in. We're obviously just hoping for closure at some point," Baxter said.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12569&d=1291052307

http://www.findmugshots.com/arrests/david_e_peacock_id_34303638.html

ARRESTED MAN `OF INTEREST' IN DISAPPEARANCE
By By Mike Miller The Capital Times — Friday, February 11, 2005

A Mount Horeb man who is still considered a "person of interest" in the 2001 disappearance of a young Iowa woman has been arrested in Madison and charged with viciously beating and threatening to kill his girlfriend.

David E. Peacock, 37, will face a preliminary hearing next week on one count of false imprisonment and three charges of battery for the attack on his girlfriend of six weeks, which came on the night of Jan. 28 in a parking lot on the east side of Madison.

According to the criminal complaint filed against Peacock, he accused the victim of cheating on him when he saw her sitting in a car with another man. He allegedly threatened to kill them both, then pulled the woman from the car, forced her into her truck, and beat her badly before dumping her in a parking lot on Atlas Avenue.

The victim told police that at one point during the attack Peacock grabbed her around the neck and was strangling her.

Peacock is out on $2,000 bail pending further proceedings in the case and that bail was posted by his brother, Stephen, who now resides in Darlington, court records show.

The brothers were labeled "persons of interest" by Dubuque police after the 2001 disappearance of Crystal Arensdorf, who was last seen on July 4...

Peacock is out on $2,000 bail pending further proceedings in the case and that bail was posted by his brother, Stephen, who now resides in Darlington, court records show.

The brothers were labeled "persons of interest" by Dubuque police after the 2001 disappearance of Crystal Arensdorf, who was last seen on July 4...[/QUOTE]

I moved to Dubuque from Illinois to continue my college education just months after Crystal disappeared. My GF and I were both in 2 different colleges in Dubuque. Dubuque is a town of 60000 population. At the time approximately 80% of the population were students. There are 8 colleges there so as you can imagine the parties were great, both at peoples homes and dorms, and the bars. In Dubuque their are over 30 bars (at least back then there was). It borders the river (as stated in this thread) to Illinois. Immediately over the bridge in to Illinois is a small town called EAST DUBUQUE. Again at that time the entire 6 blocks were filled with nothing but bars, strip clubs and places for food. My girlfriend was also 20 so even though she did not have a fake ID she was always let in to these bars both in Dubuque and East Dubuque. Dubuque bars would close at 1AM and E Dubuque bars would remain opened till 3AM, thus the need for Crystal to have easily wanted to get a ride from the bar she was last seen at to East Dubuque. Most everyone drank at that age and their friends were of all ages because all of these bars are riddled with locals and college students between the ages of 19 and 30s (by majority).

Back then that IS exactly what we heard thru the town, that the two brothers had taken her, connived her into getting in to their truck, took her to a remote wooded location, raped and brutally beaten her to death, and left her there. That is what everyone said. Unfortunately it was common talk. I also knew some of the officers (as my degree was in criminal law) and not only did they often talk about this case, they were actively seeking information all the time.

Just thought I would give everyone a little insight about those days, weeks, months and years after she went missing.

I praise the officers who constantly search for her.
I pray she is found and I pray for justice.
I pray for the family and those that loved and knew her.

the peacock brothers should be questioned, especially after David's arrest.

This case seems so solvable. I hope there'll be enough evidence to link these men to Crystal's disappearance/murder.

The brothers were labeled "persons of interest" by Dubuque police after the 2001 disappearance of Crystal Arensdorf, who was last seen on July 4...

I moved to Dubuque from Illinois to continue my college education just months after Crystal disappeared. My GF and I were both in 2 different colleges in Dubuque. Dubuque is a town of 60000 population. At the time approximately 80% of the population were students. There are 8 colleges there so as you can imagine the parties were great, both at peoples homes and dorms, and the bars. In Dubuque their are over 30 bars (at least back then there was). It borders the river (as stated in this thread) to Illinois. Immediately over the bridge in to Illinois is a small town called EAST DUBUQUE. Again at that time the entire 6 blocks were filled with nothing but bars, strip clubs and places for food. My girlfriend was also 20 so even though she did not have a fake ID she was always let in to these bars both in Dubuque and East Dubuque. Dubuque bars would close at 1AM and E Dubuque bars would remain opened till 3AM, thus the need for Crystal to have easily wanted to get a ride from the bar she was last seen at to East Dubuque. Most everyone drank at that age and their friends were of all ages because all of these bars are riddled with locals and college students between the ages of 19 and 30s (by majority).

Back then that IS exactly what we heard thru the town, that the two brothers had taken her, connived her into getting in to their truck, took her to a remote wooded location, raped and brutally beaten her to death, and left her there. That is what everyone said. Unfortunately it was common talk. I also knew some of the officers (as my degree was in criminal law) and not only did they often talk about this case, they were actively seeking information all the time.

Just thought I would give everyone a little insight about those days, weeks, months and years after she went missing.

I praise the officers who constantly search for her.
I pray she is found and I pray for justice.
I pray for the family and those that loved and knew her.

Just want to clear this up, Dubuque is definitely not 80% college students. The 2000 census states there was about 4,500 people out of 57,000 who were of the age group 20-24, and another 4,500 in the age group 15-19. I went to HS in Dubuque, and only about 40% of my graduating class went to college of some sorts (although important to note that people did come to college here from the smaller towns, and just a handful of out-of-staters).

There are a few small four year colleges -- Loras College (pop. ~1,500), Emmaus Bible College (pop. ~250)

Two small universities -- Clarke University (Clarke College at this time, pop. ~1,000), University of Dubuque (pop. ~1,800)

And then one small community college -- Northeastern Iowa Community College (pop. ~5,000, not all for associate degrees, served partly as an extension school). There is a branch of NICC downtown.

Over the bridge in Wisconsin, there is University of Wisconsin, Platteville about 30-40 minutes from downtown Dubuque (where Crystal went missing from, pop. ~8,000)

There is also one cosmetology school, Capri College located in downtown.

However, July 3rd is famous in Dubuque as it is the big celebration for the 4th of July. Annually, it pulls in anywhere from 150k-250k people. Hotels are packed! Many people from all the small and rural towns in a two hour radius come in for it. The downtown area is set up perfectly for it, and there is a lot going on on the river. Massive fireworks displays (larger than I've seen in many of the metro areas I've since lived in since moving away from the Midwest) and air shows.

This means a lot of people that would know some other areas in the tri-state area outside of Dubuque really well, and have a place to take her to. Also a lot of unsavory characters, and a ton of drinking. It isn't uncommon for out of towners to stay with family through the 4th, or in a hotel, and make it a long weekend. The 3rd and 4th are a HUGE deal there.

There's usually a lot of people walking in and out of other people's houses, friends of friends, stopping by a friend's family member here, there. A lot of super intoxicated people out and walking. So she could have easily been lost in the crowd and no one paying attention to another girl downtown drunk on the 4th.

It is also notoriously easy for underage people to get into bars in DBQ, I am not surprised she was there. It's a smaller town with little to do besides drink. There was also quite a bit of a meth epidemic going on at this time, lots of houses randomly blowing up in this downtown area. Not the best place for a gal to be at at night.

East Dubuque is also right near downtown DBQ, and it's downtown is literally to the left as you immediately get off the bridge. It had one of the only active strip clubs for a while, and the downtown was all late night bars and was very run down and trashy. You didn't go to East DBQ unless you were getting into some trouble or wanted to get stupid drunk and be debaucherous.

I actually loosely knew Crystal's family shortly before I left. It hung a very dark cloud over the family. I think they all are pretty convinced she has been gone long, long ago.

I remember seeing her fliers everywhere, I'm sure a few shops still have them up. I hope this case is solved and her family can finally get some answers, one of these days. It's not on the forefront of the town's mind anymore, though. I really hope they look into Peacock, because that stuff with his girlfriend is pretty damning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back