Husband sues after cemetery buries another next to his wife

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]When Virgie Thompson died in 2002, her husband made sure he would be buried right next to her.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Robert Thompson bought side-by-side plots at Oak Ridge-Glen Oak Cemetery and made plans for a double headstone, anticipating they'd be close again someday.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But in a lawsuit filed last week in Cook County Circuit Court, the Matteson man says someone else is now buried next to his wife.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"The guy out there looked, and he told me, 'We goofed,' " Thompson recalled. "He said he can't move the body that's there, but he could move my wife. He said he wanted to work with me, give me a discount on the headstone, but I told him I'm not bargaining and I'm not out for any favors. I just want to be buried in the right place."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thompson also says this wasn't the first problem he had with officials at the Hillside cemetery.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]As his wife's funeral procession came into the cemetery Nov. 18, 2002, he said, he realized they were headed the wrong way.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"They dug a hole for her around the corner from the grave I bought," Thompson said. "I told them to put her back in the hearse, and we went into the mausoleum until they could get her to where she was supposed to be."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]That mistake, coupled with the error of burying someone else next to his wife, led to his lawsuit against the cemetery and its employee, Leroy Palmer, he said.
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-cemetery18.html
[/font]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire