Mimi? Gizmo? NW Arkansas dog home after 7 yrs

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a custody battle might be shaping up.

Missing Arkansas dog found after 7 years (Daily Oklahoman)
ROGERS, Ark. (AP) — A dog that went missing seven years ago in northwest Arkansas soon will be reunited with her original owner after living under a pseudonym for all that time with another family in the same town.
---
It is not clear what happened to Mimi that day, but some time later, Kim Rafter of Rogers acquired the animal from someone in good faith, renamed her Gizmo, and has cared for her ever since, KHOG-TV reported.
---
(full story at link above)

So - who should get to keep Gizmo (or Mimi)?

It makes me wonder if Rafter ever took the dog to the vet's for anything. The first visit to the vet, he/she usually asks if they're microchiped and if not, would you like to do so... and if this had happened, she would have said, "I don't know... someone gave him to me."

So.... I think going back to his original owner would be the best thing for that dog.

Yeah, that's what I wondered too, about ever taking the dog in to the vet's. A bit worried, too, about how Gizmo came to be in the animal shelter - "was just wandering loose"? I'd hate to see someone who'd cared (well, evidently) for Gizmo for seven years lose the dog, but if the original owner wants the dog, maybe she's better off there as Mimi.

Sounds like Mimi/Gizmo likes to get out... I think I'd let her stay with the family that had her for seven years, why create new heartbreak? Sad.

So many dogs without homes and this lucky dog has two who want her. I hope these two owners will be able to come to an understanding themselves.

We had something like this happen with a big old cat-- he was a lovely beast that we had for about four years. Broke our hearts to see him go. :cry:

Not exactly the same thing, but did anyone ever see the documentary "Mine", about pets adopted out after Hurricane Katrina? I saw the trailer , but never could bring myself to watch it. Just the trailer left me a sobbing mess :).

It makes me wonder if Rafter ever took the dog to the vet's for anything. The first visit to the vet, he/she usually asks if they're microchiped and if not, would you like to do so... and if this had happened, she would have said, "I don't know... someone gave him to me."

So.... I think going back to his original owner would be the best thing for that dog.

I've been on a mission to find a way to get some type of protocol for vets that any new animal brought to them be scanned for a microchip. This is not mandatory nor, apparently, a widespread practice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back