Found Deceased CA - Barry Crane, 57, Los Angeles, 5 July 1985 *Arrest in 2019*

chicoliving

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Probe of Barry Crane Slaying Pressed

July 08, 1985

Los Angeles Police Department detectives continued their investigation Sunday into the Studio City bludgeoning murder of television director and bridge expert Barry Crane, interviewing bridge players and tournament officials who knew the victim.

"We do have a lot of clues, but that's all I can say," said Detective Kevin Harley.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-07-08/local/me-9756_1_barry-crane

Barry Crane was a very good friend of my mother's. She is now 83 and it's her last request on earth that this murder be solved. If anyone has any information or thoughts, please reply. Thank You!

I was a tournament bridge player at the time of Barry's death. I played hands at his tables as an opponent, but not as a partner. He had a reputation as being the number one duplicate bridge player, being temperamental with bridge partners, and of being gay. From publications I believe he was killed by a stranger. On the day of the murder he had just won an important tournament. Perhaps, on his way home he stopped at a lounge for a personal celebration and became acquainted with a stranger whom he found likeable. He invited and then drove the person to his residence where a violent incident took place that ended with Crane's murder. This stranger whom he encountered was apparently a Jeffrey Dahmer type. Almost certainly the person had similar incidents in the past, which would have been recorded by law enforcement. From the amount of disruption at the scene, there is surely considerable DNA, fingerprint, blood, and fiber evidence at the location for his identification. I am surprised the assailant has not been identified publicly sooner; however, I don't think it will be long before he is. Sometimes law enforcement will spend a long time after an almost certain identification is made in order to collect all possible evidence before a public announcement. James

[bbm]

32 years is a long time to allow a murderer to stay free in order to collect more evidence that probably no longer exists

I was a tournament bridge player at the time of Barry's death. I played hands at his tables as an opponent, but not as a partner. He had a reputation as being the number one duplicate bridge player, being temperamental with bridge partners, and of being gay. From publications I believe he was killed by a stranger. On the day of the murder he had just won an important tournament. Perhaps, on his way home he stopped at a lounge for a personal celebration and became acquainted with a stranger whom he found likeable. He invited and then drove the person to his residence where a violent incident took place that ended with Crane's murder. This stranger whom he encountered was apparently a Jeffrey Dahmer type. Almost certainly the person had similar incidents in the past, which would have been recorded by law enforcement. From the amount of disruption at the scene, there is surely considerable DNA, fingerprint, blood, and fiber evidence at the location for his identification. I am surprised the assailant has not been identified publicly sooner; however, I don't think it will be long before he is. Sometimes law enforcement will spend a long time after an almost certain identification is made in order to collect all possible evidence before a public announcement. James

Sounds to me like you have a strong inkling of who the Perp could possibly be, or a good guess? Call it in James, if only anonymously.

Federal and local authorities on Thursday arrested a man they believe brutally killed TV producer Barry Crane back in 1985, Los Angeles police confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

Edwin Hiatt, now 52, was taken into custody in North Carolina by the FBI Fugitive Task Force after detectives with LAPD said they identified him as Crane's killer through DNA evidence.
LAPD Makes Arrest in 1985 Hollywood Cold Case Murder of TV Director

IN COURT: Hollywood TV HONCHO found dead

A North Carolina man pleaded not guilty Tuesday for the cold case murder of an accomplished Hollywood television producer and bridge player.

Edwin Hiatt, 53, was arrested in May for the 1985 beating death of Barry Crane, 57. Citing Los Angeles prosecutors, Deadline reported that Hiatt bludgeoned Crane to death with a large ceramic statue and strangled him with a telephone cord at his Studio City residence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel1987
Back