Another case from the "Footprints at the River's Edge" blog:

Greg Hart


Friends say that around 1:40 p.m., Greg just got up and left the tavern without saying a word. Nothing unusual appeared to be going on, but Hart left the bar (FOX 25 /, March 15, 2010).
Hart's body was found washed up against a tree limb in the rain-swollen Woonasqatucket River in Providence, “half in and half out” of the water (
From the beginning, the Hart family expressed fears that foul play might be involved with Hart's death. Hart was a licensed and experienced scuba diver and very familiar with the water.
Hart's family said Hart's body had numerous injuries that suggested he had been in a fight, including: a broken cheekbone, jaw, eye socket, chipped tooth, cuts on his lips and knuckles, injuries to his palm and bruises on both legs in the same location. The family believes he was beaten up, possibly murdered.
To further put this death into context for you with other suspicious deaths in the area - Greg Hart disappeared on March 13, 2010 in Providence, Rhode Island, last seen leaving a bar.

Just ONE MONTH EARLIER, Gene Losik disappeared from outside a Boston hotel after a night spent in Faneuil Hall drinking and dancing with friends. Boston is 50 miles from Providence. His body is discovered in November 2010 washed up on Rowes Wharf.

FOUR MONTHS before Gene, in October 2009, William Hurley disappears from Boston as well, after leaving a Bruins game, waiting for a ride home from his girlfriend. (FYI, I live in Boston and the TD Banknorth Garden where the Bruins and Celtics play is, as one would expect, right next to a lot of bars and restaurants where people go before and after the games). His body is discovered a few days later in the Charles River.

Another interesting note on Greg Hart from this article, and a possible connection to the other Mass. cases:

Hart's Shattered iPhone
The police returned Hart's iPhone to the family in approximately 5 pieces. Officers told the family that even State Police experts were unable to retrieve any information from it because it had been in the water. However, technicians at AT&T told the Hart family that it had been taken apart in such a way that no information could be retrieved (
The Hart family was able to take the phone to data recovery experts at TechFusion. The company found that the phone could not possibly have been in contact with water, as stated in the police report. The style of the Apple iPhone that Hart had is equipped with tiny indicators deep in the phone that signal whether the phone had been submerged in water or a liquid. According to Alexander Gessen, a data recovery expert at the company, Apple has installed these indicators in order to help determine whether the phone has been submerged or come into contact with a liquid that might void the warranty. Evidence indicates that the indicator on Hart's phone, something very difficult to remove, had been intentionally scratched off.

Alfred Demirjian, a data recovery expert at the company said, "This definitely wasn't in the water, definitely, 100 percent, this was not in the water." (, 11/1/10).
Check out what happened to William Hurley's phone, in a post on his death, from the same blog:

According to one news report, Hurley's smashed cell phone was found during one of the searches.

I've not had a chance yet to read up on every case - I'm going through them but right now I only know about the ones in my area - but I'm wondering in how many cases the victim's phone was found intentionally damaged. That might be something else that links these cases together/fits the pattern/profile.