OK OK - Paoli, I-35 S, WhtFem 21-35, UP5054, GSW, poss jaw misalignment, Narrow face, Jun'87

tifflee

Reaction score
The Doe Network: Case File 249UFOK http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/249ufok.html
NamUs UP 5054 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5054

249UFOK.jpg
249UFOK3.jpg

Reconstruction of victim and close-up of teeth available at DoeNetwork.
Unidentified White Female

• Discovered on June 24, 1987 in Garvin County, Oklahoma.
  • Cause of death was gunshot wound to back of head, possibly .32 caliber or larger.
  • Deceased approximately one month before discovery.
  • Skeletal Remains
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 21 - 35 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown, graying hair. Mild kyphoscoliosis of spine.
  • Clothing: She wore ankle high white socks with blue and red stripes around top. Located near body was size 38-40D bra and a blue sweatshirt. Not known if clothing was the victim's.
  • Dentals: Available. Teeth showed extensive dental work. She had cosmetic restoration to front teeth. She was possibly from heavy fluoride area. Work indicates the possibility of two dentist, one a newer graduate of dental school. The stains may indicate the victim lived in one of seven Oklahoma counties with known high concentrations of fluoride in well water. The counties include Pontotoc and Seminole, the ones closest to the area where the victim was found.

Case History
The victim was located in a creek bed one mile west of the Paoli Oklahoma exit on I-35 South.

She appears to have been shot in the back of the head while standing or kneeling with head bowed, in classic execution position.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
405-427-5421

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
87-02242

NCIC Number:
U-255171126

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
ID Wanted Organization
Texas Department of Public Safety

Texas Department of Public Safety
Link: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/mpch/UnidentifiedDetails.asp?id=U8910005

Case Number U8910005
Date Picture Updated: 1/6/2009

Agency: Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
Date Found: 6/24/1987
Estimated Date of Death: 05/01/1987
Cause of Death: Homicide
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 03" - 5' 03"
Weight: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Hair Color: Brown
State Found: Texas
Country Found: USA
Clothing: Unknown
Miscellaneous Notes: The victim was wearing ankle high white socks with blue and red stripes around the top. Found near the deceased was a blue sweatshirt and a bra size 38-40D. Victim has extensive dental work, possibly subjected to heavy flouride area. Victim has a narrow face and brown greying hair.

U8910005.jpg
U8910005a.jpg
U8910005b.jpg
U8910005c.jpg

NamUs profile
Link: https://identifyus.org/cases/5054

Discrepancies or new details compared to previous two profiles:

- Height (inches): 0, Cannot Estimate
- Probable year of death: 0 to 1987
- Address 1: 1 1/2 miles west of I-35 exit to Paoli
- Circumstances of death:
Body was headless, left arm with just the skeletal structures present. There were socks on both feet, entire body was in the advanced state of decomp. Found in creek bed. T transverse fracture is seen 3mm posterior to the foramen magnum, indicating violent forward and downward snap of the head, she appears to have been shot in the back of the head while standing or kneeling with head bowed, in classic execution position.
- Detailed dentals available on NamUs
- DNA: Samples submitted - Tests not complete
- No reconstruction images included

This case caught my eye because the remains were described as headless in NamUs, yet there is a facial reconstruction on Doe Network and the TDPS, but not on NamUs. I wonder if the head was found separately.

In any case, I can't imagine the terror going through this Jane Doe's head as she stood or knelt there and was gunned down execution style in a creek bed.

This possible match feels like a stretch, but the extensive dental work and the timeline is what makes me do a double-take.

Vicki Arleen Sundgaard
Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sundgaard_vicki.html
Doe Network:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1957dfmn.html
NamUs: Could not find.

From Doe Network:

Vicky Arleen Sundgaard

sundgaard_vicki.jpg
sundgaard_vicki2.jpg
sundgaard_vicki3.jpg
sundgaard_vicki4.jpg

Missing since April 19, 1987 from Alexandria, Douglas County, Minnesota
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

• Date Of Birth: May 15, 1963
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5' 4" - 5' 6"; 115 - 125 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Medium to dark brown hair; brown eyes. Average build; pierced ears.
  • Marks, Scars: She has a very faint scar on her lip due to a fall when she was very young. To the best of her family's knowledge, Vicky did not have any tattoos. It is possible that she may have gotten a tattoo after moving to Alexandria, but that has not been confirmed. Vicky had her ears pierced when she was a teenager but she let them grow closed because she had a problem wearing most jewelry due to skin sensitivity to metal.
  • Dentals: Available from when she was living in International Falls. MN; she has a white cap on an upper front tooth, after she broke it age about aged 10. When she was about 15, she moved in with an older sister in Alexandria, MN where she had extensive dental work done. (The dentist from Alexandria is unknown).
Circumstances of Disappearance
Vicky disappeared from a party on Cedar Street in the early morning hours of Easter Sunday 1987.

Her car was found parked a couple blocks away the next morning, with her purse and inhaler inside.

Vicky's asthma had been particularly bad in the days leading up to her disappearance, so she probably wouldn't leave her inhaler behind.

She left behind her two boys, who were 5 and 3 at the time.

Sundgaard had told her sister a week before she disappeared that she would be leaving the area and a tumultuous marriage. She was extremely close to her children, and would never have abandoned them. Sundgaard's husband was once investigated but was cleared.

Sundgaard was last seen with a convicted rapist, who is a person of interest in her disappearance, and was interviewed several times in connection with the case.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Alexandria Police Department
320-763-6631
--
Douglas County Sheriff's Office
320-762-8151

Source Information:
Alexandria Echo Press - 5/3/06
AMW
The Family of Vicky Arleen Sundgaard

Here are the strengths and weaknesses of a match between this UID and Vicki Sundgaard.

Strengths

- Teeth:

Per Doe Network UID
Teeth showed extensive dental work. She had cosmetic restoration to front teeth... Work indicates the possibility of two dentist, one a newer graduate of dental school
Per Doe Network Vicki Sundgaard (VS) profile
...she has a white cap on an upper front tooth, after she broke it age about aged 10. When she was about 15, she moved in with an older sister in Alexandria, MN where she had extensive dental work done.
Per TDPS UID

Per Doe Network VS profile
Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old

- Facial shape:

Per TDPS UID
Victim has a narrow face
Per Doe Network VS and Charly Project profiles
The photographs of Vicki Sundgaard show a slim face in at least one photograph.

- Timeline:

Per TDPS UID
Estimated Date of Death: 05/01/1987

Missing since April 19, 1987

Weaknesses

-
Per Doe Network UID
Discovered on June 24, 1987 in Garvin County, Oklahoma.
The victim was located in a creek bed one mile west of the Paoli Oklahoma exit on I-35.
Missing since April 19, 1987 from Alexandria, Douglas County, Minnesota.
Vicky disappeared from a party on Cedar Street in the early morning hours of Easter Sunday.
Google Maps does suggest I-35 as a route between Alexandria, MN and Paoli, OK (map here). However, it is estimated to be 877 miles and 15 hours, 14 mins by I-35 S.

- Hair:

Per Doe Network UID
Light brown, graying hair

Medium to dark brown hair

- Height:

Per Doe Network UID
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"

5' 4" - 5' 6"

Vicki Sundgaard has her own link here on Websleuths: MN MN - Vicki Sundgaard, 23, Alexandria, 19 April 1987 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community.

It mentions a suspect in her disappearance who is also listed on Charley Project here. Michael Dale Benson is a convicted rapist with known attacks in California, Colorado, and Minnesota indicating that he may have been very mobile and perhaps Oklahoma is not a stretch. He escaped prison and was profiled on America's Most Wanted where a tip called in led to his capture. The AMW profile (http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=38475) also mentions Vicki although her name is spelled "Vickie" which makes that the third variation so far (Vicki, Vicky, Vickie).

The Doe lower age estimate 21 seems rather young to have graying hair.

This UID's NamUs profile was updated September 8, 2011. I noticed the following:

1. 14 exclusions (1 duplicate)
  2. Clothing with body: "Camp Beverly Hills sweatshirt - blue with white and pink stripes. Bra -38-40D"

Without knowing how the head was recovered (!) the height of 5'5" (the mean for Vicki) vs 5'3" (estimate) is a non-issue. Even then there is a 2" discrepancy, 3" at most, which is not huge.

If the bra found nearby was the deceased's then she was probably on the heavier side; from various posts online I'd guess at least 160 and more likely 180 - 200lbs.

Vicky's hair looks to be variable but mid-brown. At age 23 she may have been graying very slightly, or prematurely, but it's unlikely and does suggest that the UID was in the upper part of her age range. I wouldn't describe it as light but maybe someone of a darker complexion would do so.

The UID had fluoride staining to her teeth, which was seen as indicative of the victim having come from one of seven OK counties with fluoridation. MN state law requires fluoridation and has done so since 1970 according to my research.

Location is some cause for concern although being only one mile off an Interstate suggests a mobile perp or victim. It's not a complete straight line along one route but it is fairly consistent with southward travel to Dallas or deeper into TX as well as OKC. When he escaped from the secure facility, Benson made it from MN to Buffalo NY, which is ~975 miles, in a stolen car.

Melissa Alaniz, 12, last seen on March 07, 1987 in El Paso going to a convenience store. She was last seen wearing socks with a blue and a red stripe (which were probably common at that time), black and white checkered pants and an Iron Maiden T shirt. She was only 5'1 and 106 lbs though. The bra size would have been for someone a little heavier. BUT, I have seen girls top heavy at that age. The picture of Melissa shows a similar smile from the teeth and similar hair color and hairstyle (common for 1987). Greying hair could have been dye. Rockers who follow bands like Iron Maiden sometimes dyed their hair in streaks (at least I did).

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2782/194/

This has to be Heidi Zampbell http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/z/zampell_heidi.html
Heidi was hunchbacked which matches the as described in the skeletal remains. Her teeth also seem to match up perfectly with the dental image provided.
The only concern is the distance of Oklahoma from Florida but it isn't too far to take a girl, especially if she was abducted.

This has to be Heidi Zampbell http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/z/zampell_heidi.html
Heidi was hunchbacked which matches the as described in the skeletal remains. Her teeth also seem to match up perfectly with the dental image provided.
The only concern is the distance of Oklahoma from Florida but it isn't too far to take a girl, especially if she was abducted.

The decomposition would be too great for this girl in my opinion. It was only six days from Heidi's disappearance until the UID was found.

her head was probably blown off is what they mean. they probably reconstructed it. and yes, that had to be terrifying :(

Couldn't the hunchback description, be due to the hunch position, she was murdered in?

her head was probably blown off is what they mean. they probably reconstructed it. and yes, that had to be terrifying :(

Like my brother's. :( They couldn't even have him open, even though I begged just to touch his hand once more. I joined WS, the following year, and I am sooooooo thankful, that they wouldn't open it....

The DNA status for this UID has been updated to: "Status: Complete - Insufficient DNA for profiling"

Under "Other Medical Information," it now lists: "Possible TMJ misalignment."

There are now 16 unique rule-outs including Vickie Sundgaard.

Like my brother's. :( They couldn't even have him open, even though I begged just to touch his hand once more. I joined WS, the following year, and I am sooooooo thankful, that they wouldn't open it....

How horrible...I'm so sorry to hear about your brother.

Updated ruleouts:

Linda Jeannette Baker (or Barker) Unknown Colorado
Nancy Leah Brannon 1952 Missouri
Jan Andre Cotta 1954 New Jersey
Tammy Daniel Unknown Oklahoma
Linda Davis 1946 Oklahoma
Sandra Nancy Guillot Edde Unknown Oklahoma
Penny Annette Evans Unknown Oklahoma
Wendy Felton 1971 Indiana
Ann Houser Unknown Oklahoma
Mary G. Lang 1952 Kansas
Nancy Medina 1948 Oklahoma