LA LA - Rolando Schweikert, 29, Metairie, 29 Apr 1991

Queenofwands

Reaction score
Missing since: April 29, 1991 from Metairie, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana.
Classification: Endangered Missing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vital Statistics

•Date Of Birth: September 26, 1961
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 170 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Dark brown hair; brown eyes. Tan complexion.
•Dentals: Available. Bridge on front 4 top teeth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Circumstances of Disappearance:

Schweikert was last seen on Hearst Street in Metairie, Louisiana on April 29, 1991. His roommate is serving two life sentences for killing two women.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office
Detective Gina Latour
504-364-5300
Email

Agency Case Number:
E-00314-91

NCIC Number:
M-489491824
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information on this case.

Source Information:
The Doe Network http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/368dmla.html

Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office http://www.jpso.com/Missing/MissingPerson.aspx?id=47

NamUs https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4199/135/

Attachments

• RSchweikert.jpg
    RSchweikert.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 29
From the Charley project page:

"Schweikert is originally from Guatemala. His life was insured for $1 million
at the time of his disappearance, and when he was declared dead in 1999, his mother in Guatemala collected on the policy. Authorities received a tip that Schweikert is alive and well in Guatemala and disappeared intentionally in an insurance fraud scheme. This information was never verified, however, and his case remains unsolved. "

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schweikert_rolando.html

And from the Amicus Journal (this is in regards to a trial for Schweikert's roommate, Manuel Ortiz, on charges unrelated to the actual disappearance of Mr. Schweikert):

The prosecution used Schweikert’s disappearance to cast additional suspicion on Manuel at trial. However, the prosecution failed to reveal to the defense or the jury that Schweikert had been seen at his bank withdrawing funds on the day his disappearance was reported. Furthermore, Manuel’s legal team uncovered through a sworn statement of Saavedra’s son and testimony of Saavedra’s widow that Saavedra conspired with Schweikert and Schweikert’s mother to fraudulently claim the life insurance money. Moreover, at the time of the trial Schweikert was not only alive but still in contact with Saavedra!

Link: http://goo.gl/WWnHhf

Interestingly, there is a facebook page for Rolando Schweikert in guatemala. I think the pictures could possibly be the same man, but given that the picture posted of Rolando is 20 years old, it's hard to know for sure.

ETA: There is a picture on the facebook page that seems to be about the same timeframe (or a little earlier) as the picture on charley project page, but still can't say for certain.

I'm not sure it even matters though because if the above is true, his family already knows he's not missing, and the insurance company likely closed the case long ago.

For some background, Rolando Schweikert's ex-roomie Manuel Ortiz is on death row in Louisiana for the deaths of his wife Tracie Williams-Ortiz and her friend Cheryl Mallory. Ortiz claims he's innocent and that the prosection's star witness, Carlos Saavedra, was actually the guy who killed the two women as payback for a bad business deal. Regardless, Ortiz denies he is responsible for Schweikert's disappearance, and in a court filing claims Schweikert is alive and that Saavedra was in on an insurance fraud scheme with Schweikert's mother.

Schweikert is mentioned in Ortiz's 2010 post-conviction relief brief beginning on page 41.

p. 47:
"In January 2003, Mr. [Carlos] Saavedra’s son, Carlos Javier Saavedra Robles, signed a sworn affidavit in Honduras. He stated that he knew that his father had known Mr. [Rolando] Schweikert and had bought a pick-up truck from Mr. Schweikert for $15,000.00 but had never paid Mr. Schweikert. He stated that his father and Rolando’s mother, Martha Schweikert, planned for Mr. Schweikert to return to Guatemala, so they could then accuse Mr. Ortiz of his disappearance and she would collect one million dollars from his life insurance policy. Carlos Javier Saavedra further stated that his father knew Rolando was fine living in Guatemala. App. 63, Second Supplemental Petition for Post Conviction Relief, Affidavit of Carlos Javier Saavedra. Carlos Javier stated his father accused Mr. Ortiz so he would be arrested, out of vengeance, but nothing happened."

p. 47:
"Mrs. Sanchez testified that when she lived with Mr. Saavedra between 1997 and March 2000, he would speak with his friend, Mr. Schweikert, who was living in Guatemala and that Mr. Saavedra was friends with the whole family including his mother, Martha Schweikert. HT 12/6/04 at 58, 59. Later, on his deathbed, Mr. Saavedra confessed to Mrs. Sanchez that he had been involved in the insurance fraud with Martha Schweikert, that she had received Mr. Schweikert’s life insurance money, and that he had falsely accused Mr. Ortiz of Mr. Schweikert’s disappearance out of vengeance. HT 12/6/10 at 65, 66. A presumptive death certificate was issued in for Mr. Schweikert on June 22, 1999, (HT 12/8/2004 at 168; EX. S10, stipulation on 12/8/2004), thus allowing for Martha Schweikert, beneficiary, to receive $1,000,000 life insurance benefits. (Ex. S14). See In Re Mr. Schweikert, Nos. 467,329 and 531,097, 24th Judicial District Court."

The U.S. and Guatemala have an extradition treaty but if Schweikert is alive, it's unlikely the insurance company has or will actively pursue him. Although, his name is likely in a database and he probably would be flagged for additional screening if he ever attempted to re-enter the U.S.

Manuel Ortiz's Post-Conviction Relief brief

I'm literally shaking as I read this. He went by Roland and we dated for approximately a year and a half (1990-1991?). We lived together and were briefly engaged. Our relationship was turbulent and we broke up prior to his disappearance.

One night his brother and best friend (former Green Beret and a really scary guy) knocked on my door looking for Roland. They assumed we were dating again and I said no. They told me he had gone for a walk and never returned. I remember he frequently went for walks to clear his head - he worked from home and was a bit of a workaholic and went on walks to calm his nerves.

His uncle was a former President of Guatemala and Roland aspired to be President one day. I never went with him on his trips to Guatemala, as it was very dangerous and he had to ride around in armored vehicles with armed guards. I always thought his disappearance was related to that.

I'm still reading and I had no idea about the life insurance. Wow!

I'm literally shaking as I read this. He went by Roland and we dated for approximately a year and a half (1990-1991?). We lived together and were briefly engaged. Our relationship was turbulent and we broke up prior to his disappearance.

One night his brother and best friend (former Green Beret and a really scary guy) knocked on my door looking for Roland. They assumed we were dating again and I said no. They told me he had gone for a walk and never returned. I remember he frequently went for walks to clear his head - he worked from home and was a bit of a workaholic and went on walks to calm his nerves.

His uncle was a former President of Guatemala and Roland aspired to be President one day. I never went with him on his trips to Guatemala, as it was very dangerous and he had to ride around in armored vehicles with armed guards. I always thought his disappearance was related to that.

@TRB , have you looked at the facebook page for Rolando Schweikert in Guatemala? It's been many years, but I wonder if you'd recognize him. There's two pages (one for a Roland, and one presumably for his son).

Hi I am the daughter of Rolando I was 6 years old when he disappeared and my sister was 9 my dad never came back home, we lived in Guatemala when my dad went missing and I still remember the day my grandmother told us he wend missing. I was too little to understand what that meant, and always had the hope for him to come back he never did. The insurance is true it was claimed by my grandmother but not by my dad and it was to invest in the FLY Bussiness. I still have hope he is still alive but I know that is imposible it’s been 32 years. My uncle Byron always told me how much I look like my dad. I write you this because if you had a relationship with my dad please remember the good don’t believe the lies of him scamming the insurance for money. And also if you have pictures of him I would really love to see one. Thank you again Jacqui

@TRB , have you looked at the facebook page for Rolando Schweikert in Guatemala? It's been many years, but I wonder if you'd recognize him. There's two pages (one for a Roland, and one presumably for his son).
Hi The Facebook profile you are referring to is now my dads profile he is my grandmother’s brother Rolando my dad was named after him just like I named my daughter Martha after my grandmother and the son you are referring to is my cousin son of my uncle Rolando. Please be a little bit more sensitive I know you don’t know but before we post something try to find out if its what you claim to be. Thank you

I am Jacqui I am the daughter of Rolando Schweikert I am 38 years old, once in a while I search his missing person report just so I can see his picture so I don’t forget his face. I am writing this with tears in my eyes to see how people think or claim my dad is still alive it makes me so sad to think we judge and say things for sure without really thinking if it’s a fact or a lie and we condemn people so easily. I wish if he was still alive if only that was true.

And for the person who killed him, let me just tell you. You left two little girls alone in the world you took everything from us. We couldn’t understad for many years why my dad was not comming home why he wasn’t here, he always told us he would be back he always came back not that time. It has taken us more than 32 years to lose hope of him coming back looking at him so tall and so handsome through my house’s gates. We won’t ever have closure on my dad. We have no one to take Flowers to, we have no understanding of a fathers love because we or at least I was too little to remember. my children have been growing up without a grandfather the only picture I have of him to show them is this missing person report one. You will never understand the damage and the pain you have caused.

From the Charley project page:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/schweikert_rolando.html

And from the Amicus Journal (this is in regards to a trial for Schweikert's roommate, Manuel Ortiz, on charges unrelated to the actual disappearance of Mr. Schweikert):

Link: http://goo.gl/WWnHhf

Interestingly, there is a facebook page for Rolando Schweikert in guatemala. I think the pictures could possibly be the same man, but given that the picture posted of Rolando is 20 years old, it's hard to know for sure.

ETA: There is a picture on the facebook page that seems to be about the same timeframe (or a little earlier) as the picture on charley project page, but still can't say for certain.

I'm not sure it even matters though because if the above is true, his family already knows he's not missing, and the insurance company likely closed the case long ago.
Well let me tell you the Facebook you are referring to it’s not Rolando the missing person it’s Rolando my dad’s uncle brother of my grandmother meaning my grand uncle my dad was named after him. He is the youngest of my grandmothers siblings. Just to clarify my dad ROLANDO SCHWEIKERT never ever came back to Guatemala after he disappeared.

Well let me tell you the Facebook you are referring to it’s not Rolando the missing person it’s Rolando my dad’s uncle brother of my grandmother meaning my grand uncle my dad was named after him. He is the youngest of my grandmothers siblings. Just to clarify my dad ROLANDO SCHWEIKERT never ever came back to Guatemala after he disappeared.
Hi! I am so sorry for what you have been through. I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose your dad and then how much harder it is to hear people wondering if he is alive and well in Guatemala. Thank you for clearing up the Facebook issue. Just so you know, when I mark love on your posts, I mean love and support for you.

I live in the area and have never heard of this case, so I am glad you commented. You are right. You need real answers about what happened. Have you tried calling the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and ask for the cold case investigator? I think that might be a start to them looking at the file for you. We are here to help, not hurt, so I am sorry if you felt hurt by the things people have found. We are honestly here in love to help.

Hi! I am so sorry for what you have been through. I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose your dad and then how much harder it is to hear people wondering if he is alive and well in Guatemala. Thank you for clearing up the Facebook issue. Just so you know, when I mark love on your posts, I mean love and support for you.

I live in the area and have never heard of this case, so I am glad you commented. You are right. You need real answers about what happened. Have you tried calling the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office and ask for the cold case investigator? I think that might be a start to them looking at the file for you. We are here to help, not hurt, so I am sorry if you felt hurt by the things people have found. We are honestly here in love to help.
Thank you for your support and kindness it does mean a lot to me thank you. The case once the FBI closed it we never heard anything again. But I will call, specially with the accusations of Carlos Saaevedas son claiming my dad had contar with his dad. It really makes me wonder will we ever know what happened to him?

Thank you for your support and kindness it does mean a lot to me thank you. The case once the FBI closed it we never heard anything again. But I will call, specially with the accusations of Carlos Saaevedas son claiming my dad had contar with his dad. It really makes me wonder will we ever know what happened to him?
Definitely call! It can't hurt. And it can Actually help to let them know that none of your family has seen him. You are aware of those rumors, but they are not true. You deserve answers. We are here to help come up with ideas or help research or just vent to, if you need us.

Was his partner Manuel Ortiz ruled out in relation to his murder? In my opinion it is suspicious and if he was studying or working I don't think he wanted to defraud the insurance... but sometimes the mind betrays us and we can do crazy things of any kind...
either way
rest in peace

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member