GUILTY NC - Addison Lanham, 2, dies from abuse, neglect, Gaston County, 21 July 2011

JeannieC

Reaction score
This is a horrendous act against a sweet and innocent child. Little Miss Beautiful as people called her. Abuse, Neglect, and possible sexual abuse. Now she sleeps with the angels but what she endured in such a short life is unforgettable.

Shanna Lanham knew her daughter Addison was hurt but didn’t seek medical attention because she feared the toddler would be taken away from her.

Shanna Lanham, 32, had been under investigation by the Gaston County Department of Social Services since May or June, when DSS received a report of neglect and abuse, police confirmed.

Fear of DSS intervention likely contributed to Lanham and her boyfriend’s decision not to seek medical care when Addison became ill, said Capt. Jay Human with the Gaston County Police Department.

Read more: http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/police-59433-charged-make.html#ixzz1TjhkIutT

Addison Grace Lanham died July 21 at Gaston Memorial Hospital. Police say the autopsy report shows the little girl succumbed to sepsis, an infection of the blood. Addison also had a broken leg and had not received medical care, police say.

Addison's mother, Shanna Lanham, 32, and Lanham's boyfriend, Jason Wells, 33, were charged last week with involuntary manslaughter, felony child abuse and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Lanham and Wells are being held at the Gaston County Jail on bonds in excess of $1 million.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...n-the-prettiest-angel-laid.html#ixzz1Tjj9anzK

Mourners hold vigil for Gaston toddler

Addison's mother, Shannon Lanham, 32, and her boyfriend Jason Wells, 33, are charged with involuntary manslaughter, felony child abuse and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Wells, a convicted sex offender, was babysitting Addison when she became unresponsive. Lanham, who was at work, rushed to the motel where they'd been staying and called 911.

The girl died at Gaston Memorial Hospital. An autopsy revealed the toddler had a broken leg that had not been treated and that she died of a blood infection.

Police say they're also investigating whether Addison was sexually assaulted.

Family members have told the Observer they called the Department of Social Services to report their concerns about Addison's mother and her boyfriend.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...s-preparing-to-bury-gaston.html#ixzz1Tjk05XOj

Sheriff makes other plans for jailed parent to attend Addison's funeral

A judge has given the biological father of Addison Lanham, 2, permission to attend the girl’s burial Saturday but authorities say he won’t be there.

Sheriff Alan Cloninger says the toddler’s father, Raymond May, won’t be attending because he had a private visitation Friday.

May, 36, is being held at the Gaston County Jail under a $50,000 secured bond after being charged with a dozen drug-related charges on April 4. The charges include promoting drug sales by a minor, trafficking heroin and conspiring to sell and deliver cocaine, according to arrest records.

http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/attend-59506-judge-lanham.html

Addison Lanham earned a nickname amongst those who knew her at her one-room home at America’s Best Hotel — Little Miss Beautiful.

Described as a playful little girl in life, the toddler’s swollen body was rushed to Gaston Memorial Hospital July 21 where she died of sepsis, an infection in the blood stream.

Read more: http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/addison-59562-america-one.html#ixzz1TjlueIHz

Little Miss Beautiful,

May you be free of physical and mental pain:innocent:. Even though your life was short here on this earth, you are receiving riches so great now!! May you enjoy the sunshine on your beautiful face as you run through a field of flowers. Now you know what true unconditional love is.

I AM NOT THERE

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush,
Of quiet birds circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there. I did not die.

- Robert Hepburn (In Memory of Norbert C. Gessner)

Addison was indeed a beautiful, innocent child. Her death was a senseless tragedy.

She is now one of Heavens' new angels and will know no more pain and neglect.

Rest in Heavenly Peace, Little Miss Beautiful.

WOW, that is truly heartbreaking and sickening. May her "parents be prosecuted" to the fullest extent of NC law

Be safe and free always now sweet baby...

As often (daily) reading about tragic horrific murders of innocent little babies, you would think we would start to become numb and think, Not again, not me everyday I read and every day it still surprises me and I tear up for each and everyone...

When will it end?

Be safe and free always now sweet baby...

As often (daily) reading about tragic horrific murders of innocent little babies, you would think we would start to become numb and think, Not again, not me everyday I read and every day it still surprises me and I tear up for each and everyone...

When will it end?

I completely understand. I can't think about a child being abused, neglected, murdered, and not cry. Thank God we do cry and not harden out hearts or close our eyes to this.

Addison our Little Miss Beautiful deserved to grow up smiling not to live through the pain that was inflicted upon her.

What could possibly go wrong when a mother asks a convicted sex offender to babysit her little girl?
:banghead:

What could possibly go wrong when a mother asks a convicted sex offender to babysit her little girl?

What could be wrong with a mother that would let her child be that sick for so long and wouldn't take her to the doctor. I believe she knew Allison's leg was broken and might have know more that had been done to her. I believe she was protecting herself and her boyfriend. IMO she was more afraid of what would happen to them than she was of having her child taken away from her.

IMO If she was afraid of loosing her child she would not have been with a sexual predator.............

every time i read "the mother's boyfriend, a registered sex offender" i want to scream and throw up.

I hate drugs, absolutely despise them. I guarantee you there was heavy drug use involved. RIP little Addison.

Perhaps she was afraid of losing her boyfriend if she lost her child. Perhaps she knew the little girl was the only thing keeping him there.

Poor little angel never stood a chance....father locked up for drugs, mother who leaves her alone with a SO boyfriend. Makes me sick to think of the horror poor children like Addison experience at the hands of the people who are supposed to love & protect them. These poor little angels see & experience things in their short lives that the majority people never see & experience in a lifetime. It's disgusting to read what her mother said to the 911 operator (she's my baby, she's my life, etc) & to see her tearful photos...save it lady!!!!! How was this baby still with her mother when her mother was clearly living with a SO?

RIP beautiful Addison, there's plenty of angels for you to play with & no one will ever hurt you again baby girl.

WBTV Channel 36 in Charlotte New Today at 5pm

More than one family member had contacted DSS on numerous occasions and told them about the man living with Addison's mother. They told they felt she needed help. NC DSS in investigating.

In addition to that a family member called Shanna's Probation Officer and didn't get a response so she sent him messages on Facebook and told him. She never got a response from him. NC Department of Correction is investigating.

THANKS GUYS.......ABOUT TIME YOU INVESTIGATE SOMETHING!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back