Stranger moves into woman's house

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- A woman came home from vacation to find a stranger living there, wearing her clothes, changing utilities into her name and even ripping out carpet and repainting a room she didn't like, authorities said.

Douglas County authorities say they can't explain why Beverly Valentine, 54, broke into an empty home and started acting like it was her own.

During the 21/2 weeks the owner, Beverly Mitchell, was on vacation in Greece, Valentine allegedly redecorated the ranch home, ripping up carpet and taking down the owner's pictures and replacing them with her own.

Mitchell was a complete unknown to Valentine, said Chief Sheriff's Deputy Stan Copeland. He said he had no idea how Valentine knew Mitchell was gone.

"In 28 years, I've never seen something this strange," Copeland said.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/10/22/681086.html

I am bumping this one as one of the most outrageous things I have read... imagine coming home from holiday and someone has moved into your home? changed the name on your utilities.. repainted? took down your photos and put theirs up??

:eek::eek::eek:

hi cass! isn't that one of those new TV shows "surprise surprise!" :)

lex said:
hi cass! isn't that one of those new TV shows "surprise surprise!" :)
LOL. I read this yesterday Casshew. How on earth do you find so many odd stories?
But anyway, I wonder how many years Mitchell had been living there and why none of the nighbors noticed anything. AND the big question, how this squatter knew the owner would be away long enough for her to move in.

Sally said:
LOL. I read this yesterday Casshew. How on earth do you find so many odd stories?
But anyway, I wonder how many years Mitchell had been living there and why none of the nighbors noticed anything. AND the big question, how this squatter knew the owner would be away long enough for her to move in.
Thats what I wondered too.

At least the owner got a free washer & dryer out of it :)

This story kind of reminds me of "House of Sand & Fog"

That's pretty bizarre. I can just imagine when the 2 confronted each other and said in unison," Who are you?"

Hi Vicktor, she was smart enough to call the police instead of confronting this stranger herself.. can you imagine her bewilderment when she saw her redecorated room? :crazy:

I'd probably have to go outside and check the address just to make sure I was in the right place. How weird. The nerve of some people!

Arielle said:
I'd probably have to go outside and check the address just to make sure I was in the right place. How weird. The nerve of some people!
LOL Arielle, my hubby had to do that when he came back from a week in Florida last March... I redecorated the whole first floor, painted, new carpets, new furniture.. he did a double take and thought he was in the twilight zone!

This would put my husband into cardiac arrest. He's been shopping for and decorating our house for the last three years. He buys a new painting, rug, or new piece of furniture at least once a week.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back