Why? What was the motive?

VespaElf

Little Miss Showcase(runner-up)
Reaction score
I know Darlie was/is capable of killing the boys but I just can't fathom why.
She wasn't depressed/mentally ill(like Andrea Yates),she wasn't in the grips of a crumbling relationship whose boys were the reason(Susan Smith),there was no life insurance so why?
Thats what I keep coming back to and what stops me from being 100% sure she did it(I should say She and Darin because I do belive if she was involved so was he).

Theres so much supposed evidence that she didnt do it as there is evidence she did! Jeana ,in the Darlie thread,posted so much convincing info but then I read the facts according to Darlie's camp and Im back at square one!!
This case is so complex!!!!!

WHY????WHY???WHY???-if I can figure that out it would help! Anyone have any theories????

the housekeeper testified that darlie had been depressed after the birth of drake and that one day she even came in and found darlie holding the baby with a cloth over his face.

there were also reports that their lifestyle was crumbling under a debt-load.

however, i cannot say that either of these would have been motive for the murders.

I heard that she was on diet pills also and I do know depending on the kind of diet pills that they can cause mood swings and the person can become very irritable at a drop of a hat.

I just don't understand though how finances could have "motivated" her to murder her children. The little ones are the most costly but she murdered the older kids (if she did). I have not followed this case that closely, but have a base of info since it happened in the area where I live, I never got the impression there was that much life insurance.

I agree, WHY?

IMO

I've never heard about a case where children were murdered by their parent and when the reason was given everyone went "oh yeah, that makes sense." Give me a motive that any one of us could conceive of that would make us understand how a mother could murder her children. I think that there was no "one" motive here. I think it was a combination of a handful of factors that happened at a time when she couldn't deal and it all came to a head. They say that people don't just "snap" and murder their children. Well, we know that they do. The mother who took a rock and bashed in the heads of her boys. She found a jury who found her mentally unstable after ZERO psychiatric care. ZERO friends or family to come forward and say they saw signs. So, go figure.

messiecake said:
I know Darlie was/is capable of killing the boys but I just can't fathom why.
She wasn't depressed/mentally ill(like Andrea Yates),she wasn't in the grips of a crumbling relationship whose boys were the reason(Susan Smith),there was no life insurance so why?
Thats what I keep coming back to and what stops me from being 100% sure she did it(I should say She and Darin because I do belive if she was involved so was he).

Theres so much supposed evidence that she didnt do it as there is evidence she did! Jeana ,in the Darlie thread,posted so much convincing info but then I read the facts according to Darlie's camp and Im back at square one!!
This case is so complex!!!!!

WHY????WHY???WHY???-if I can figure that out it would help! Anyone have any theories????

Marital problems
money problems
hormonal changes and pms
post partum depression
diet pills
depression and talk of suicide
kids driving her nuts
wanting more

Could have all combined into a motive. I don't think we should get hung up on motive. This is a personal crime. We don't know the dynamics of that marriage although much has been laid out bare in the past seven years.

It's hidden deep in Darlie's psyche if you ask me. She did ask Darin for a separation that night and they did have a screaming fight. I think she snapped. Susan Smith snapped and before she knew it, her children were in the lake, so did Darlie and before she knew her eldest son, Devon, was dead.

The boys looked like Darin – could Darlie have been lashing out at them as a Darin substitute?
Is it possible that Darlie had some inspiration like a boy friend?
Has there been any question as to the baby’s paternity?
This is probably rehashed for you all but I am new to the case and these questions came to mind.

IMO

Jade said:
The boys looked like Darin – could Darlie have been lashing out at them as a Darin substitute?
Is it possible that Darlie had some inspiration like a boy friend?
Has there been any question as to the baby’s paternity?
This is probably rehashed for you all but I am new to the case and these questions came to mind.

IMO

It's possible.
Don't know if she had a boyfriend. No one has come forward to my knowledge
No, not to my knowledge
no problem, I don't mind.

cami said:
It's possible.
Don't know if she had a boyfriend. No one has come forward to my knowledge
No, not to my knowledge
no problem, I don't mind.

I never heard anything either about a boyfriend. I honestly believe though, that its possible she thought that Darin had someone on the side.

i've wondered, if she intended to kill her sons that night, why didn't she have the baby downstairs with her .... why was the baby spared? i believe she committed this crime and as with so many senseless crimes, there is no reason that jumps out at you ... nonetheless, i believe the evidence points convincingly to her. just don't understand why the baby was spared. i understand darin is not raising the child - anyone else hear that?

londonPI said:
i've wondered, if she intended to kill her sons that night, why didn't she have the baby downstairs with her .... why was the baby spared? i believe she committed this crime and as with so many senseless crimes, there is no reason that jumps out at you ... nonetheless, i believe the evidence points convincingly to her. just don't understand why the baby was spared. i understand darin is not raising the child - anyone else hear that?

Darin is now raising the child. His mother had custody of Drake for a few years, but he's now with his father. As for her sparing the baby, I think that if she used to excuse to Darin that the baby made too much noise for her to be able to sleep in her bedroom, it would make no sense for her to all of a sudden want him in the same room where she was trying to sleep.

Secondly, while I do believe this was a premeditated double murder, I don't think it was premeditated long enough in advance for her to have thought it out.

Lastly, perhaps since Drake was so little, she couldn't bring herself to do it.

I don't know anything for sure, these are just my opinions.

Well now there are two things that I think apply here. Firstly, Darlie was suffering and being treated for post partum depression. She had also indicated in her diary and elsewhere that she didn't feel as though she had "bonded" appropriatly with the infant.

However Devon and Damon she clearly doted on, at least materialistically. They were an outward expression of her "mommyness" if you know what I mean. Like, hey, look what a great Mom I am because I dress my kids a certain way and give them all kinds of games and things.

Now consider that this whole thing began with one of them asking for a divorce/separation. Of course the topic of custody will immediately come into play, right? Well Darlie aint giving Darin squat. Remember she is the diva type.
So, she goes to pout downstairs, and decides to drag the kids along as further "punishment" to Darin. Probably saying crap like, "Sleep down here with me, because your father is a Pri*k" or something to that effect. But as she lays there in the dimly lit room, she has to realize that there is not much she can do to keep Darin from the kids. After all, he is did. But she can TAKE THEM AWAY FROM HIM.

I've never heard about a case where children were murdered by their parent and when the reason was given everyone went "oh yeah, that makes sense." Give me a motive that any one of us could conceive of that would make us understand how a mother could murder her children.

Greetings DP,
i am so very happy to see that you did start this about this Routier case. This is my very first time to post here. What i want to say is to the quote above which I hope comes right, that one reason that is so often said to be the reason is that the children's mother is not right in her mental state. That does seem to be the case some of the time, no? I guess that the mother kill her child because the mother child closeness comes through even to the crazed mental state. I don think that i have heard too much of mothers killing other's children and not their own. How about others, have you heard of such thing?

dasgal said:
Well now there are two things that I think apply here. Firstly, Darlie was suffering and being treated for post partum depression. She had also indicated in her diary and elsewhere that she didn't feel as though she had "bonded" appropriatly with the infant.

However Devon and Damon she clearly doted on, at least materialistically. They were an outward expression of her "mommyness" if you know what I mean. Like, hey, look what a great Mom I am because I dress my kids a certain way and give them all kinds of games and things.

Now consider that this whole thing began with one of them asking for a divorce/separation. Of course the topic of custody will immediately come into play, right? Well Darlie aint giving Darin squat. Remember she is the diva type.
So, she goes to pout downstairs, and decides to drag the kids along as further "punishment" to Darin. Probably saying crap like, "Sleep down here with me, because your father is a Pri*k" or something to that effect. But as she lays there in the dimly lit room, she has to realize that there is not much she can do to keep Darin from the kids. After all, he is did. But she can TAKE THEM AWAY FROM HIM.

I tend to agree with what you have posted. I wonder how long the fighting as it were was going on. Darlie says she was sleeping downstairs for five nights in a row. She says it's because her baby rolling in the crib woke her but I bet it had more to do with the diet pills and their not getting along. I know women sleep apart from their husbands all the time but five nights in a row!!! Yeah Darlie is definitely the drama queen.

I can't find it in my heart to believe these were premeditated murders. Not for any length of time anyway, just that night. So sad isn't it. Those two beautiful boys.

SnootyVixen said:
Greetings DP,
i am so very happy to see that you did start this about this Routier case. This is my very first time to post here. What i want to say is to the quote above which I hope comes right, that one reason that is so often said to be the reason is that the children's mother is not right in her mental state. That does seem to be the case some of the time, no? I guess that the mother kill her child because the mother child closeness comes through even to the crazed mental state. I don think that i have heard too much of mothers killing other's children and not their own. How about others, have you heard of such thing?

Darlin, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. For some women who murder their own children, I don't think they have formed the "mother lion protecting her young" personality. They're just so focused on themselves that everything and every one come second to their own needs. Certainly there are cases where something in their "brain" isn't right and that makes them do things they wouldn't ordinarily do. In Darlie's case, there's a pretty long list of things in her life that were completely out of whack. Her hormones were bouncing back and forth -- Drake was still pretty little and she was suffering from post-partum depression. They had serious financial problems. Their business wasn't going well. The marriage wasn't going well, etc.

There are cases where women have murdered someone else's child - but I think that in most cases, they murder their own children. I'll try to dig up some examples of women murdering other people's children.

Yes sad indeed. It's amazing what a person can do when they throw a tantrum, and this is what this is. A horrible deadly tantrum. If she could take it back, you can bet she would.I don't know how long this had gone on, but her statement to police give us a clue. Darin took her sister home that night and took a little longer than Darlie thought was appropriate. Now, I don't really think that anything was going on, but what did Darlie think? How messed up and unconfident do you have to be to think your sister is doing your husband. Something wasn't right, and it didn't just occur to her. She obviously had given the idea some thought. It may have been what prompted the separation/divorce talk.

Something else to keep in mind is the wedding dress and photo album open to a page of her and the boys. It had blood splatter, but was found closed. She quite obviously was doing some emotional thinking.

Hi. People do it all the time unfortunately, and not just because of obvious mental dellusions. How many times have you watched the news and saw a domestic turn into a murder/suicide.
It's a "it's mine!" thing.

SnootyVixen said:
Greetings DP,

HI snooty, it's me fugi from the other board, welcome aboard.

dasgal said:
Something else to keep in mind is the wedding dress and photo album open to a page of her and the boys. It had blood splatter, but was found closed. She quite obviously was doing some emotional thinking.

Exactly!!! The closing of that book happened during the staging process. There would have been no reason for any "intruder(s)" to have done that. Dasgal, what is it that cops say? Every murderer makes at least 25 mistakes? Something like that. We should start a list of all of Darlie's mistakes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back