Facebook rumors hinder Dunn investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knox

Reaction score
Posted August 10, 2011 - 1:15pm

One of the biggest hindrances to any police investigation is the rumor mill. In regards to the Hailey Dunn case, Facebook’s rumor and speculation mill, as well as all public forums, makes those complications go exponential.

“Facebook is public enemy #1 because it is a site of gossip and internet bullying from one person to the next,” said Det. Kelsey Alexander of the Colorado City Police Department, one of the lead investigators in the Dunn case. Alexander has worked the case since 13-year-old Hailey went missing in late December of 2010.

“People take what they see on Facebook as real,” she said. “Just because someone is discussing something doesn’t make it a tip or lead. It’s two people sharing an opinion.”

http://ccitynews.net/news/story/2011/08/facebook-rumors-hinder-dunn-investigation

Is Det. Alexander blaming Facebook for the lack of progress into Hailey's disappearance?

If she really thinks “Facebook is public enemy #1" and that “People take what they see on Facebook as real", I suggest she quit reading at WOTS and read here.

Honestly, if this is the type of work that has went into Hailey's case and mentality of all the investigators, she is never going to be found!!! :banghead:

FYI-Det. Alexander: Public Enemy #1 in regards to this case, is the only named POI. You know, the guy who has a fondness for blood lust and *advertiser censored*, Shawn Adkins. Public Enemy #2 is Hailey's own Mother.

they need to find a way to make the medium work for them

and one way is to actually have a LE dep't facebook where people can leave tips or check for updates

yes, I agree that there's too many weirdos infiltrating FB & it's gotta be frustrating for LE to be fielding nonsense tips b/c people don't seem to know how to use their brain sometimes but I don't see that changing anytime soon ...

don't get ME going on the 'local' search for Hailey....

I personally think the FBI needs to round up that whole bunch posting on various FB pages...tell them to put up, or shut up... and face hindering an investigation charge

Ooh...I don't like the sound of this article. I'm afraid it is going to discourage some leads that might be viable.

While I respect not inundating LE with known false information / leads / rumors; it's not our---the public's---job to discern which tips are "real"...it's LE's, based on the evidence they have and information they have verified.

In essence,this article is saying...if you read something on the internet and it sounds "off", it probably is, so don't waste our time.

Really?????

IMO, JMO and all that jazz...:)

they need to find a way to make the medium work for them

and one way is to actually have a LE dep't facebook where people can leave tips or check for updates

yes, I agree that there's too many weirdos infiltrating FB & it's gotta be frustrating for LE to be fielding nonsense tips b/c people don't seem to know how to use their brain sometimes but I don't see that changing anytime soon ...

Exactly. When Joanna Yeates went missing in England, the local constabulary established a proactive online presence with a special page on their own website and a Facebook page, and by doing so set the tempo for information released and for incoming tips. By doing so, they involved the public and put many more eyes on the case. Here in the U.S., all too often, LE relies on retroactive strategies like rewards and promises of non-prosecution if someone were involved but not the main actor.

Ooh...I don't like the sound of this article. I'm afraid it is going to discourage some leads that might be viable.

While I respect not inundating LE with known false information / leads / rumors; it's not our---the public's---job to discern which tips are "real"...it's LE's, based on the evidence they have and information they have verified.

In essence,this article is saying...if you read something on the internet and it sounds "off", it probably is, so don't waste our time.

Really?????

IMO, JMO and all that jazz...:)

I think they need to do their jobs as LE and not blame the public.
They have computers with child *advertiser censored* on it. Bring them ll in and question them- old fashion detective work.
Frustrated because they could pull them in on child *advertiser censored* charges but won't. Why not?!

I think it is a little late to be worrying about FB...
Anyone who has real info at this stage would probably not use FB, as it could be traced, and having info at this stage implies some degree of guilt, most probably...
But I also have a feeling that LE has nothing else to do right now, as far as Hailey goes, so they look at FB. They can't figure out a way to go ahead with child *advertiser censored* charges, evidently...I just don't have any kind of sense that this case will ever be solved, or that Hailey will be found and it is very sad...

all I know is whoever is responsible for her missing, I hope their life is a living h@ll

I think Facebook would make it easier for LE to chase the rumors down. LE can actually read it themselves rather than hear things second and third hand. LE can "see" who says what and, if necessary, check out the IP addys, etc. Facebook is pretty much a reflection of the word on the street ~ except it is captured in traceable form. How can that hinder an investigation?

Yep, I'm a little skeptical of the motives of this article. :cow:

That is an interesting article, EU. Thanks for sharing it. Data forensics is a fascinating field in criminology. Regarding the OP, I think it's a bit of malarkey. I know for a fact that some investigators use FB as a tool, not unlike many of us do here. They research friends, and friends of friends, to become familiar with the players and their relationships. But the article refers to the group pages that pop up around a crime or disappearance which is a little different. I still agree LE would be wise to make it their business to monitor those pages. If you follow them for awhile, you get a good feel for what's credible. On the other hand, if I'm reading correctly, it wouldn't make any difference because when a lead comes in, they still have to deal with it.
Procedures were put into place to investigate thoroughly. Every tip, every lead has to be filtered through the police department,” Alexander said. “We have to keep track of everything that comes in. We have to have everything documented.”

Investigation protocols have the task force following up every tip or lead no matter how insignificant or farfetched.
I'm glad to know the protocols are set so high, but the irony is that it slows down progress. Having followed some of those FB groups and news comments sections, I know rumors can spread like wildfire, and I can see where that can create a nightmare for LE. So, I have to cut them some slack on this point. That's a lot of precious time wasted that could be spent investigating the real leads. But, I don't think it excuses the lack of an arrest in this case.

I think Facebook would make it easier for LE to chase the rumors down. LE can actually read it themselves rather than hear things second and third hand. LE can "see" who says what and, if necessary, check out the IP addys, etc. Facebook is pretty much a reflection of the word on the street ~ except it is captured in traceable form. How can that hinder an investigation?

Yep, I'm a little skeptical of the motives of this article. :cow:

IMO The motive for this article is an attempt to remove another platform...

That is an interesting article, EU. Thanks for sharing it. Data forensics is a fascinating field in criminology. Regarding the OP, I think it's a bit of malarkey. I know for a fact that some investigators use FB as a tool, not unlike many of us do here. They research friends, and friends of friends, to become familiar with the players and their relationships. But the article refers to the group pages that pop up around a crime or disappearance which is a little different. I still agree LE would be wise to make it their business to monitor those pages. If you follow them for awhile, you get a good feel for what's credible. On the other hand, if I'm reading correctly, it wouldn't make any difference because when a lead comes in, they still have to deal with it.
I'm glad to know the protocols are set so high, but the irony is that it slows down progress. Having followed some of those FB groups and news comments sections, I know rumors can spread like wildfire, and I can see where that can create a nightmare for LE. So, I have to cut them some slack on this point. That's a lot of precious time wasted that could be spent investigating the real leads. But, I don't think it excuses the lack of an arrest in this case.

I agree, Bessie.

Social media and forensics are a double-edged sword. They can help or hinder many investigations.

One of the things that becomes hugely frustrating for LE, is the discovery of other crimes related or unrelated to an active investigation. The work load increases with exponential speed, and appears to take the focus off of the intial investigation (in this instance- finding Hailey.) Appears.

It reality, what I think most commonly happens is that instead of a straight-forward investigation of a missing person, LE now has dozens of other possible crimes to investigate- along with the orginal. And taking into account the burden of evidence... ugh.

Talk about a snowball effect. It's exhausting and aggrevating for even the most dedicated and talented LEO's. Again- a double-edged sword. :(

I started a new thread titled “Hailey Dunn Disappearance/Facebook Rumors + Checking Leads” because it have specifics worthy of investigating.

For instance, Officer/Detective Kelsey (AKA Inga) Alexander has her own very active FB account. Check out her friend list before she sets it to private ...

I started a new thread titled “Hailey Dunn Disappearance/Facebook Rumors + Checking Leads” because it have specifics worthy of investigating.

For instance, Officer/Detective Kelsey (AKA Inga) Alexander has her own very active FB account. Check out her friend list before she sets it to private ...

There are a number of Inga Alexanders, if that's the name you mean. How do you know Inga Alexander is Detective Kelsey Alexander? Do you have a link to the detective's FB page you're referring to?

Thanks.

Is Det. Alexander blaming Facebook for the lack of progress into Hailey's disappearance?

If she really thinks “Facebook is public enemy #1" and that “People take what they see on Facebook as real", I suggest she quit reading at WOTS and read here.

Honestly, if this is the type of work that has went into Hailey's case and mentality of all the investigators, she is never going to be found!!! :banghead:

FYI-Det. Alexander: Public Enemy #1 in regards to this case, is the only named POI. You know, the guy who has a fondness for blood lust and *advertiser censored*, Shawn Adkins. Public Enemy #2 is Hailey's own Mother.

For this case, I think the local LE are quite familiar with all the FB players. They probably could spot each and every one of them walking down the street..know some of their families and much of their background, and may have a more "working" relationship with many lol...as we've seen. TBH, I wouldn't put it past local LE checking out the new family or person who just moved to town, etc.; when things are slow and quiet in a small town.

I'm sure some of the issues LE has had to deal with in HD's case has stemmed from some blow-ups, etc on the FB sites....but they prolly would have festered off line as well...having observed the group of players, the relationships and relatives we have.

As far as rumors and opinions only being posted on FB, I don't think that's being reasonable. Someone may post a possible good lead and are usually encouraged to call LE. Those are the types of posts they should focus on. imo. Many use FB to spread the word for the missing and it does increase awareness and may spark a much needed lead or good piece of info. I think the possible good out weighs the possible bad. IMO Before FB and currently, people could use the phone or mail to waste LE's time and efforts....and chasing down the who was prolly just as difficult..if not more so.

JMO

The problem for LE is that FB acts as a hotspot for rumours, and they are probably getting a lot of "tips" from people reading this stuff. But, even though those sorts of tips have no basis in reality, LE still has to investigate them, and it creates a lot of noise that can hide or mask the real facts.

This is probably one of the toughest things for LE when doing investigations, when their leads try up and they publicise a case, it might draw out some new info or leads they didnt know about, but it also draws out a hurricane of garbage that needs to be sifted through and which can contaminate their investigation. The reason being that the case becomes a form of entertainment for most people, and that can blurr reality. So it is a double edged sword.

They are probably having to deal with that now with limited resources, and you can imagine that it is the source of some frustration for them.

The other problem IMO is that a lot of facebook pages want answers. People on them get together and dont understand things..and get angry. One such example is when Carrie McGonigle went on the Neutral Zone and told them she had just been to me conference..and whilst there was told one of the best people in the field in that kind of investigation was based at Abilene and had hadnt been allowed to help in the case. Secondly she also explained that she wanted Team Adam to go in and go over the case and again that wasnt allowed. I personally spoke to the Ex police chief Ron Dooley who confirmed he had wanted to go back and help in the case and was refused..so IMO the problem for LE is that through social media such as facebook people find out how inept LE have been in this case..and personally in some cases i think some facebook users have researched more things in this case than LE has:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie