National Beef recalls 60,424 lbs ground beef for e.coli

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/national-beef-recalls-60-424-lbs-ground-beef-025954010.html

National Beef recalls 60,424 lbs ground beef for e.coli
By Peter Bohan | Reuters – 7 hrs ago

...The beef was shipped to distributors nationwide for further processing and distribution, USDA said in a statement.

Winn-Dixie Stores, of Jacksonville, Florida, said it issued its own recall to customers tied to the National Beef recall, saying some of the beef affected was sold in its stores in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. The beef had "sell by" dates of July 31 to August12, it said.

Colorado Sam's Club stores have also been contacting members who may have recently purchased beef included in the recall, Christi Davis Gallagher, a spokesperson for Sam's Club, told the Colorado Springs Gazette....

Oh my God I just got the credit to my credit card for all my ground turkey I returned because it was recalled for e. coli.

Luckily we don't eat a whole lot of beef and I haven't bought any in a while except for a beautiful little pot roast. I'm not giving it up. :floorlaugh:

Why does it seem like there are more and more recalls lately?

Over the past 10 years or so the FDA budget has been slashed. They can't keep up with the inspections. JMO

The risk is always higher in ground meat products-- very easy to distribute/mix in a contaminate throughout entire batches. Whole cut meats are much safer.

I buy burger made from trimmings at my grocery store-- ground in small batches right in front of the customer. I won't do any ground poultry.

Hope there are no deaths this time around.

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2006/3345fda_disease.html

This article appears in the November 10, 2006 issue of Executive Intelligence Review.

Globalization, FDA Cutbacks
Lead to Increased U.S. Food Poisoning
by Marcia Merry Baker

...Underfunding: "Food safety funding has not kept pace with rising costs and new responsibilities. Nominal funds for FDA food programs have risen from $407 million in 2003 to $439 million in 2006...[but] the agency's food division operated under a shortfall of $135 million in 2006 due to increased personnel costs and new terrorism responsibilities." An official described this as "equivalent to a 24% budget cut."

Function Cuts: "Under the Bush Administration's fiscal year 2007 budget proposal, produce safety and other base food programs would be cut by $22.6 million from 2006 levels, and staffing would be reduced by 105 full-time employees to fund "priority initiatives such as food defense and pandemic influenza," according to FDA documents.

Fewer Inspectors: "FDA inspectors are responsible for overseeing approximately 210,000 domestic food establishments. Since 2003, however, the number of field staff, primarily inspectors and inspection support staff, has dropped by 12%, from 2,217 to 1,962."

Fewer Inspections: "In 1972, FDA conducted approximately 50,000 food safety inspections. In fiscal year 2003, FDA conducted only 13,567 domestic food safety inspections. According to FDA budget documents, this number will drop even further to 9,255 inspections in fiscal year 2006. This is a 32% drop in federal inspections since 2003—and an 81% drop since 1972."...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back