GUILTY MI - Evelynne Deuman, 3 mos, dies in sexual assault, Peshawbestown, 12 Aug 2011

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Media blacked out of this case it appears...

Could it be because it's on tribal land I wonder?

From the article linked above:

The house is located on the 33-hundred block of M-22 in Peshawbestown. It's on federal land belonging to the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians.

Yes, some interesting comments. It appears the father mentioned in the comment section is on Vinlink and confirmed as a Native American. Since I can't link to information I found on the comment section, I will only say I found the person who was said to be arrested, and his FB has a pic of a beautiful baby (and lives in the same location as described), as do many of his family and friends.

I wonder why this case is so under wraps? I hope we find out the details soon and if this was a crime, that justice be swift.

MHOO.

Mel

I watched the video and it was the first time I have even seen Tribal Police vehicles. It will be interesting if this is handled differently because it is on a reservation.

From watching the video, it seems that not even the locals know what happened, which I can say, from my experience, is somewhat odd in and of itself. Tribal land is like often like any small town. What happens there doesn't take long to be noticed, commented on, and spread like wildfire, and that doesn't seem to have happened here. Oddness, definitely.

Peshawbeston Man Charged With Baby's Death
Posted On: 8/23/2011

WEDNESDAY:

Steven Deuman's attorney has been granted a delay in a federal court hearing.

snip

Deuman is accused of killing his 3-month-old daughter during a sexual assault.

snip

The girl died on August 12 in Peshawbeston which is on the Grand Traverse Band of Ottowa and Chippewa Indian Reservation.

In an affidavit, an FBI agent says that Deuman told authorities the girl fell from a bed and he found he unresponsive.

Autopsy results indicate that the baby was asphyxiated.

TUESDAY:

snip

The FBI says Steven Deuman is accused of sexually abusing and murdering the girl.

snip

The FBI says Deuman told them when he was outside, the baby fell off the bed and choked on something lying on the ground in the bedroom.

But the Medical Examiner says the baby died from choking, and no trauma from a fall could be found on the girl's body as Deuman had told them.

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=300662&cID=1

FBI arrests Traverse City-area man in death of 3-month-old daughter
Published: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 12:54 PM Updated: Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 10:03 PM

The FBI has filed a criminal complaint alleging that a Traverse City-area man killed his 3-month-old daughter while sexually abusing her.

Steven William Deuman is held pending a hearing Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids, records showed.

The criminal complaint was recently unsealed upon Deuman's arrest.

Federal authorities are involved because the Aug. 12 death occurred on a Leelanau County reservation of the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians where Deuman, 26, lived with his wife and children, records showed.

Autopsy results showed she was asphyxiated by an artificial blockage of her airway, records showed.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/08/fbi_arrests_traverse_city-area.html

The FBI alleged Deuman killed the girl “during the perpetration, or attempted perpetration, of aggravated sexual abuse.”

snip

While outside, he told police, he heard his daughter cry, and had a “bad feeling,” the FBI said. He then went to check on the girl, and found her on the floor, between the head of the bed and the wall, face down and not moving.

“Deuman stated that (the girl) had blood around her nose and mouth, and that he found a used condom in the baby's mouth,” Kleinpaste wrote in the complaint.

“Deuman stated that he believed (the girl) rolled off of the bed and sucked the used condom into her mouth while lying on the floor. Deuman also stated that the fall from the bed may have killed (her). Deuman was unable to provide any explanation for how (she) could have rolled off the bed, past the pillows and comforter, and onto the floor,” he wrote.

snip

Dr. Marc Krakow told investigators that Deuman did not mention the condom was found in the girl's mouth. Krakow later “opined that (the girl) could not have choked on the used condom in the manner described by Deuman,” Kleinpaste wrote.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/08/fbi_arrests_traverse_city-area.html

CONTINUATION OF CRIMINAL COMPLAINT

1. I, David Kleinpaste, am a Special Agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and have been so employed for approximately 22 years.

2. The information in this Affidavit was obtained from police reports, medical reports, and interviews conducted by various law enforcement officers, specifically including FBI Special Agent S. Robert Birdsong.

3. Special Agent Birdsong has been employed with the FBI for approximately 22 years. He is currently assigned to the Detroit Field Office, Traverse City Resident Agency. Special Agent Birdsong has investigated various types of federal criminal violations, including Indian Country matters. His duties include investigating violations of federal law that take place in Indian Country, as defined by the United States. The reservation of the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians, located in Peshawbestown, Michigan, is Indian Country, as defined by the United States.

4. I make this Affidavit in support of an Application for a Criminal Complaint and Arrest Warrant for STEVEN WILLIAM DEUMAN, an Indian Male, age 26, for murder. The information in this Affidavit establishes probable cause that, on August 12, 2011, STEVEN WILLIAM DEUMAN, an Indian, killed ED, a minor child of approximately three and one half months of age, during the perpetration, or attempted perpetration, of aggravated sexual abuse, in violation of Title 18, United States Code, Sections 1111 and 1153. The relevant facts of the case include the following:

5. STEVEN WILLIAM DEUMAN is the biological father of ED. He and ED's biological mother, Natasha Maitland, reside at 3291 North West Bayshore Drive in Suttons Bay (Peshawbestown), Michigan. The residence is located on land held in trust by the United States of America for the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians.

6. STEVEN WILLIAM DEUMAN is an enrolled member of the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians. DEUMAN's Grand Traverse Band enrollment number is 4091.

7. STEVEN WILLIAM DEUMAN was interviewed by FBI Special Agent Robert Birdsong on August 13, 2011, and provided the following statements: During the afternoon and evening of August 12, 2011, DEUMAN was at home at 3291 North West Bayshore Drive, and he was providing care for his son, SD III, aged approximately three years, and his daughter, ED. Also present that day at 3291 North West Bayshore Drive were DEUMAN's half brother, Silvano Manon Southbird, Veronica Reynaga, and their three minor daughters. DEUMAN stated that, at some point in the early evening, he provided ED a bottle and placed her on the bed in the bedroom he shares with his wife and children. DEUMAN stated that he arranged pillows above the baby's head, and he placed a comforter around her right side and feet, so as provide her access to her bottle and also to restrict her movement on the bed. The south side of the bed was pushed against the wall of the bedroom. According to DEUMAN, ED was healthy and happy, and she showed no signs of distress when he placed her in the bed, or as he left the bedroom. DEUMAN stated that he then went outside the house to smoke a cigarette. Both DEUMAN and Natasha Maitland, who was also interviewed by Special Agent Birdsong, acknowledged that, they had never seen ED either roll onto her stomach or crawl.

8. DEUMAN stated that, while he was smoking the cigarette, he heard ED cry, and that he subsequently experienced a "bad feeling." He stated that he then took two quick puffs on his cigarette, threw the completed cigarette into a can, and walked into the house to see if ED needed him. DEUMAN estimated that he had been out of the room and away from ED for a period of two to seven minutes. DEUMAN stated that, after he entered the bedroom, he found ED on the floor, between the head of the bed and the wall, lying face down and not moving. DEUMAN stated that he picked the baby up and noted she was limp and did not appear to be breathing. DEUMAN stated that no other person had entered the bedroom where ED was laying during the two to seven minutes he was out of the room.

9. DEUMAN stated that ED had blood around her nose and mouth, and that he found a used condom in baby's mouth. He stated that he immediately pulled the condom out of ED's mouth and threw it onto the floor of the bedroom. DEUMAN described the condom as being used, unrolled, and of the type and brand he uses when he engages in sexual intercourse with Natasha Maitland. DEUMAN stated that he believed ED rolled off of the bed and sucked the used condom into her mouth while lying on the floor. DEUMAN also stated that the fall from the bed may have killed ED. DEUMAN was unable to provide any explanation for how ED could have rolled off the bed, past the pillows and comforter; and onto the floor.

10. DEUMAN stated that he called his brother, Silvano Southbird, into the bedroom, and Mr. Southbird advised DEUMAN that ED needed to go to the hospital. DEUMAN then called Natasha Maitland, and advised her that ED was not breathing. Neither DEUMAN nor Mr. Southbird called 911, but instead got into Mr. Southbird's automobile began driving towards Munson Hospital in Traverse City. While en route, the men observed Natasha Maitland pass them northbound and returned to their residence, where Natasha Maitland examined ED for vital signs. Ms. Maitland called 911, and she and ED were then driven towards Munson Hospital by Veronica Reynaga, Mr. Southbird's girlfriend. DEUMAN remained at 3291 North West Bayshore Drive for a short period of time before driving towards Munson Hospital on his motorcycle. Ms. Maitland and Ms. Reynaga were directed to the roadside by 911 operators and Emergency Medical Personnel arrived and began life saving procedures. DEUMAN caught up with the ambulance at this point, and thereafter followed the ambulance to the hospital.

11. ED was transported to Munson Hospital by Emergency Medical personnel. Upon arrival at Munson Medical Center, ED was treated by Dr. Marc Krakow. Dr. Krakow stated that his observations of ED were indicative of choking. Dr. Krakow noted that ED had blood in her mouth and throat consistent with choking. Dr. Krakow reported that, while he had spoken with STEVEN WILLIAM DEUMAN at the time he was treating ED, DEUMAN did not inform Dr. Krakow that he, DEUMAN, had found a used condom in ED's mouth. After Officer Kobi Amor later advised Dr. Marc Krakow of DEUMAN's statement regarding the condom, Dr. Krakow opined that ED could not have choked on the used condom in the manner described by DEUMAN.

12. ED was pronounced dead at Munson Medical Center at 2053 hours on August 12, 2011.

13. The body of ED was subsequently transported to Spectrum Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where her body underwent an autopsy performed by Dr. David Start, a forensic pathologist. After performing the preliminary autopsy Dr. Start concluded that ED had died from pulmonary edema resulting from an artificial blockage of her airway. Dr. Start did not find any evidence of ED having suffered any injury consistent with a fall from a bed or any blunt force trauma. Having been informed of DEUMAN'S recitation of the events surrounding the death of ED prior to conducting the autopsy, Dr. Start advised the sequence of events described by DEUMAN were inconsistent with his examination and the state of ED's body. Dr. Start advised that ED's death is consistent with asphyxiation.

14. A search warrant was executed at 3291 North West Bayshore Drive by Special Agents of the FBI and the Michigan State Police Evidence Response Team. The agents and officers observed what appeared to be a blood stain on the carpet of the bedroom used by DEUMAN and Natasha Maitland, at the eastern end of the bed. A bloody condom was also observed in the bedroom and collected. The mattress and box springs sit directly on the floor of the bedroom, and do not rest on a frame.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=654934

People in the comments defending this :silenced: and complaining that the criminal complaint listing the details of what the :silenced: did should not have been published.

How anyone can defend the :silenced: is utterly beyond my comprehension.

And this poor baby victim deserves to have her story told. Every victim deserves to have their story told.

Sweet baby ED from Steven Deuman (Steven Southbird)'s Facebook page:

275802_714830313_7666020_n.jpg

Sweet baby ED from her mother, Natasha Lyn Maitland, Facebook page:

274045_1755005925_3525316_n.jpg

RIP little ED. In your new home you won't have any memory of the world you were brought into. Play with the angels.

I'm am so, so disgusted with these sexual abusers, these foul pieces of human waste . The most heart breaking part is that no matter how many are caught and we hear about, you know that it is going on this minute somewhere. Some poor child is being tragically neglected and abused somewhere. Always. I swear we need a planet where these 's can be shot off to. Well at least we'll tell the bleeding hearts that's where they are going.

I hope this perps son is also checked for any signs of sexual abuse! TWA sweet girl! ^j^

For the person that could do such a horrid thing, there is no place, no punishment too large, too strong.

For the Mother of this sweet girl, I am truly sorry for your loss.

Luckily this crime occured on federal land so he's elligable to be executed. I can't determine whether Steven Deuman or Travis Mullins (On Texas's death row for sexually murdering his three-month old son) committed a worse crime. Utterly dispicable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back