Identified! VA - Amherst Co., Human remains on forest trail, Aug'11 - Scott Lilly

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FBI not releasing new information on body found in national forest

... hikers found the body near a trail around 4 p.m. Because the land is in the George Washington National Forest, the FBI has jurisdiction in the investigation.

... information about the body was being withheld to protect the integrity of an ongoing investigation. [FBI Spokeswoman Dee] Rybiski would not say specifically where the body was found, its condition or gender.

http://www2.nelsoncountytimes.com/n...-new-information-body-found-natio-ar-1239927/

The decedent has been identified as Scott Lilly (AKA "Stonewall") of South Bend, Indiana

lilly+hiker.JPG

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/Human_Remains_Identified_Death_Suspicious_128077973.html

The circumstances of his death are classified as "Suspicious".

Scott was found in a shallow grave off the trail. This was near a shelter that was close to a main road. If the killer was a stranger, why bury the remains?

I just came across this case and as of a few years ago, it was an unsolved homicide. I wanted to add it to the Cold Case Forum, but information is lacking. Here is the one article I have found:

That is the last I find on it except for an early "Unsolved" podcast and another, "Lost in the Woods" podcast. None of the original investigating agencies - FBI, VA State Police, US Forest Service and US Park Service - show anything on their websites. The VA Cold Case Database does not list the case. I have contacted both VSP and the cold case database and am awaiting a reply.

Does anything have further information on the case so we can move it to the Cold Case Forum?

Per an email reply from VA State Police, it is an FBI case. VSP stated they contacted the FBI and it is currently being investigated by the Charlottesville VA FBI office which is a satellite location of the Richmond VA Field Office.

With what few news articles I could find I started a thread in the "Cold Case" forum here on WS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back