MIT Researchers Say New Drug Found May Cure Any Viral Infection

coastal

Reaction score
MIT Researchers Say New Drug Found May Cure Any Viral Infection
August 16, 2011 11:00 AM EDT

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/198...dd-rider-researchers-cure-viral-infection.htm

>>>snip

...Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, or MIT, have developed what could be a groundbreaking drug, which can be read in the journal PLoS One, and seems effective at curing nearly any viral infection to include the common cold, influenza and other such illnesses.

...In the paper published July 27 in the journal, the researchers tested their drug against 15 viruses, and found it was effective against all of them — including rhinoviruses that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza, a stomach virus, a polio virus, dengue fever and several other types of hemorrhagic fever.

(article continues)

<<<snip

Wow. Just...wow!

I'm suddenly reminded of the old saw: "When a story seems too good to be true, it usually is."

And also of the new season of Torchwood, in which people stop dying and the resulting overpopulation causes a host of new problems.

(These are just thoughts, not an argument that we shouldn't fight viruses. Good for the MIT guys, if this proves true!)

it's about damned time. :woohoo:

MIT Rocks!

Hey, this better work on computer viruses too. I mean - this IS MIT research, right?

lissen up brainiacs - now get busy curing cancer, MS, MD, ASL, AIDS, diverticulosis, depression, allergies, old age, cellulite, toe fungus and addiction. to name a few.

but seriously, that would be awesome, wouldn't it?

My DD took a course in viruses last semester. I'll ask her if she's heard of this research as being on the threshold. When she gets home. From exchanging viruses with her friends.

ETA: DD got home and I told her to google the news and she got on the MIT website and said: "cool".

So I guess that makes it official. :)

This is the 4th time this week I've read something published on the internet by IBT (international business times) that was worded oddly or was worded in a way that was misleading.

I found this article in the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/health/boost...ersal-drug-20110815,0,7839108.story?track=rss

This isn't about the OP's thread but rather I am beginning to think at this time IBT can't be trusted as a MSM source.

I can't find anything out in particular about it either.

So IBT published that the cure had been found when it's acutally in developmental stages from what I'm reading.

hmm. JMHO

((The OP may have jumped a little soon...:eek: ))

(((But STILL!)))

((The OP may have jumped a little soon...:eek: ))

(((But STILL!)))

I have to disagree. The OP's source's key word in the headline "MAY"

Whenever you read a story or hear a claim that icludes the word "may" just remember this sentance.........Monkeys may fly out of my butt. It will help everyone to put it in perspective.

Read about it (if you are inclined) on MIT's website.

http://web.mit.edu/press/2011/antiviral.html

Now, ask yourselves if MIT would be publishing this if they didn't believe they'd made quite the discovery. broad-spectrum anti-viral drug.

Most of the tests reported in this study were done in human and animal cells cultured in the lab, but the researchers also tested DRACO in mice infected with the H1N1 influenza virus. When mice were treated with DRACO, they were completely cured of the infection. The tests also showed that DRACO itself is not toxic to mice.

The researchers are now testing DRACO against more viruses in mice and beginning to get promising results. Rider says he hopes to license the technology for trials in larger animals and for eventual human clinical trials.

medical miracles in the making.

:cow:

heck, they've found the magic bullet that basically halts the onslaught of CML leukemia.

why not believe?

we are years away with clinical trials & FDA approvals, but ... my grandkids might never have to suffer a cold!

(okay, I'm a geek. but ... how kewl is that?)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back