Starbucks CEO to DC: You've Been Cut Off

Fairy1

VOTE!!!
Reaction score
I like this idea & hope it gets some traction. We need to send the politicians a strong message and guys like this have the power to do it!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/16/news/economy/starbucks_boycott_washington/

Spurred by what he describes as a failure of leadership on the part of lawmakers, Schultz is mounting a one-man bull rush against a political culture that has "chosen to put partisan and ideological purity over the well being of the people."

What does that mean? No more political donations -- not for anybody.

buyer's remorse is tough huh?

I believe that most folks are feeling this way - regardless of their level of monetary contribution or party affiliation.

In the midst of one of the worst economic downturns in U.S. history, the next election cycle appears to have already begun in earnest. Rather than seeing our already elected officials (at every level and every party) WORKING to turn it around, they have chosen to begin campaigning for the next election; forgetting entirely WHY they are where they are now.

Shame on them and shame on us if we allow the status quo to continue.

Am I the only one who thought Starbucks was going to stop serving lattes in the District?

That might actually get results.

I dont care if your left or right wing I think most Americans are willing to temper their stance and compromise for the greater good...most of us in the real world dont have the luxury to be complete demagogs...that kind of Idealogical 'purity' like most abstracts looks great on paper but doesnt translate to nuts and bolts reality...life and most situtations are a bit more complicated.Most of tehse politicians Republicans and Democrats alike are a bit sheltered from that reality especially the ones who are playing to the nut fringe of both parties.
Good for him.

I hope everyone gets on this band wagon! I think I will go buy a coffee!

Am I the only one who thought Starbucks was going to stop serving lattes in the District?

That's what I thought when I first read the headline, Nova!

I don't know what to do to get our elected "leaders" to act for the greater good of the country. If cutting off the donations works, then Kudos to Starbucks. Unfortunately, the personal wealth of so many of the higher ups -- and their desire to keep and increase that wealth beyond any human need -- is a tough competitor to beat.

Higher taxes on the rich! :twocents:

Lol that is exactly what I thought!:floorlaugh:

You're right! And not just lattes - but scones too. Let's get 'em where it hurts!

Thats what I thought from the thread title, lol.

Makes me happy to know the money I spend there every day is not being donated to anyones campaign.

I love this! Hope it catches on all over the place.

The corporations can probably manage without the politicians for awhile, but we KNOW the pols can't survive without cash flow.

The money spent on campaigning makes me sick even in a normal economy.

Seriously, I am going to try to splurge on Starbucks more often and be very vocal about my support of this idea.

I love this! Hope it catches on all over the place.

The corporations can probably manage without the politicians for awhile, but we KNOW the pols can't survive without cash flow.

The money spent on campaigning makes me sick even in a normal economy.

Seriously, I am going to try to splurge on Starbucks more often and be very vocal about my support of this idea.

That's just the thing - they SHOULD be able to survive without huge campaign contributions! It's a different world now with social media. I want to see the politicians figure out how to get their messages out without the mud-slinging TV commercials airing every 5 minutes for months! That will prove to me how innovative they are and if they can lead us out of this horrific mess!

I believe that most folks are feeling this way - regardless of their level of monetary contribution or party affiliation.

In the midst of one of the worst economic downturns in U.S. history, the next election cycle appears to have already begun in earnest. Rather than seeing our already elected officials (at every level and every party) WORKING to turn it around, they have chosen to begin campaigning for the next election; forgetting entirely WHY they are where they are now.

Shame on them and shame on us if we allow the status quo to continue.
You have just said the very thing that I was thinking the other day. Instead of doing their jobs, they are already concentrating instead on the next elections.

Oh how I wish we could bring them to term limits, no pension when terms are complete, instead they have to go out and get a freakin' job just like the rest of Americans. I really think that's the only way we are ever going to see them actually working FOR US. They are not running this country any more, they are running it into the ground.

I'm going to go sit on my hands now, I'm afraid if I say anymore on this topic I will be banned for life X's 1,000,000.

You have just said the very thing that I was thinking the other day. Instead of doing their jobs, they are already concentrating instead on the next elections.

Oh how I wish we could bring them to term limits, no pension when terms are complete, instead they have to go out and get a freakin' job just like the rest of Americans. I really think that's the only way we are ever going to see them actually working FOR US. They are not running this country any more, they are running it into the ground.

I'm going to go sit on my hands now, I'm afraid if I say anymore on this topic I will be banned for life X's 1,000,000.
I agree and make offering cash or vacations or gifts or jobs after Capital Hill carry the same penalty as trying to manipulate a Judge's decision with a pay-off.(and frankly...I dont see any difference.)
Bribery.A Felony. With the appropriate penalties applying to both the briber and the bribie(that probably isnt really a word.)
Youd find out real quick which politicians are interested in actually representing the constituants who sent them there.
I have a feeling youd have quite a few seats to fill in short order about the time that went into effect.

I'm proud of Starbucks - makes me want to go out and buy a coffee! No sense in those dollars going to sneaky politicians looking to get back into their cusy comfortable seats without doing any real work. That's how I see it anyway! If they want the money they should have to earn it. I've seen little of that in recent years.

My opinion only!

Mel

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz said he has been "stunned" by the response to his call for a boycott on political donations in response to Washington's poor handling of the debt-ceiling issue.

"We've touched a nerve," said the CEO of the coffee behemoth on Wednesday in an exclusive interview with TheWrap. "There's such a groundswell of disappointment and concern with regard to the leadership in Washington and crisis of confidence that we have."

He called for a suspension of donations to all incumbents, including President Obama, until a proper deal on the debt is achieved. He said he would announce a list of corporate leaders who had signed on to the no-donation pledge next week.

http://news.yahoo.com/starbucks-ceo-stunned-aftermath-call-boycott-002555811.html

I don't even drink coffee and this makes me want to run out to a Starbucks. Hooray for this CEO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back