GUILTY GA - Mary Gibbs, 77, murdered, Douglasville, 15 Aug 2011

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/Boy-Kills-Great-Grandma-With-Sword-127883343.html

August 16, 2011

A Georgia teen killed his great-grandmother and wounded his grandmother with a sword before cops took him down with a stun gun, officials said.

Cops in Douglasville arrived at the home Monday afternoon to find the dead woman lying in the front yard and the 15-year-old boy standing in the doorway with a sword and a pellet gun, which he used to shoot out the windows of their squad car, Douglas County Sheriff Phil Miller told The Associated Press.

Gosh, to live as old as to be a great grandmother just to get taken out by a sword at the hands of your great grandson. How awful.

That article says that he had attacked her before with a different sword and cut her foot! How many swords does this 15 year old have :eek:

Rest in peace...

This article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution provides a lot of perspective on the case.

http://www.ajc.com/news/douglasville-grandmother-i-tried-1121398.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

The 15 year was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was 8. He was hard to handle, so the grandmother essentially raised him since birth.

After hitting puberty, Gevin became even more difficult to handle and police were often called to help out. The grandmother (who was injured in the attack) said she tried to get in-patient help for her grandson, but they didn't have enough beds and he was sent back home. He had just seen a therapist an hour before the attacks.

Now the grandmother says she has lost the two most important people in her life....her mother and her grandson. Prosecutors say they want to charge him as an adult, but the grandmother says he doesn't have the mind of an adult.

She also mentioned that other media reports about Gevin hurting her mother were incorrect. (Although he clearly had threatened with one of his older brother's swords before, so I wonder why the grandmother didn't have the swords removed from the house.)

How sad. :'(

They need to seriously do something about the lack of mental health beds available in this country. They just shut all the asylums down and thrust them all out into society. That is great for some of them, but not so great for the many who are violent and dangerous to themselves and others.

This article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution provides a lot of perspective on the case.

http://www.ajc.com/news/douglasville-grandmother-i-tried-1121398.html?cxntlid=cmg_cntnt_rss

The 15 year was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was 8. He was hard to handle, so the grandmother essentially raised him since birth.

After hitting puberty, Gevin became even more difficult to handle and police were often called to help out. The grandmother (who was injured in the attack) said she tried to get in-patient help for her grandson, but they didn't have enough beds and he was sent back home. He had just seen a therapist an hour before the attacks.

Now the grandmother says she has lost the two most important people in her life....her mother and her grandson. Prosecutors say they want to charge him as an adult, but the grandmother says he doesn't have the mind of an adult.

She also mentioned that other media reports about Gevin hurting her mother were incorrect. (Although he clearly had threatened with one of his older brother's swords before, so I wonder why the grandmother didn't have the swords removed from the house.)

How sad. :'(
I won't fault anyone for complaining about the pitiful state of mental health care in this country. However, people have to show some responsibility. Those swords should never have been in the house in the first place, and they certainly should have been removed immediately after any type of threat.

I won't fault anyone for complaining about the pitiful state of mental health care in this country. However, people have to show some responsibility. Those swords should never have been in the house in the first place, and they certainly should have been removed immediately after any type of threat.

Absolutely! I just keep seeing these cases where there are violent, mentally ill people continually left out in the community until something dreadful happens. Why he still had access to swords is completely beyond me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back