Life for the West Memphis Three - Free After the Alford Plea

gitana1

Verified Attorney
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread devoted to tracking Damien, Jason and Jessie, during their life on the outside, and reaction to it. The other thread was getting a bit long!

What do the three face after their 18 year incarceration?:

Shea Wilson, an Arkansas Department of Correction spokesman, says that no inmate has ever walked off death row like Echols.

Most inmates have some notice of impending release, Wilson says, in order to prepare for life on the outside. Typically, prison officials work with inmates on a parole plan that includes programs designed to help them transition to a new life.
The three men were teenagers when they were arrested. In prison, they grew up in a hostile environment surrounded by violent offenders, says Reamer, who also serves on the Rhode Island Parole Board. Echols has lived in solitary confinement for ten years, and now he has to learn daily human interaction.

While in prison, Echols married Lorri Davis, a long-time defender of the three men. One challenge will be learning how to maintain that relationship.
“Sudden liberation, while wonderful, can also be absolutely overwhelming,” Reamer says.
According to experts, recently released prisoners have three areas of concern. They must adapt to the practical side of an unstructured world – making life decisions for the first time and learning new skills like working a smart phone. Second, community support is a must. And third, they need psychological attention to understand their experience.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/west-memphis-three-what-will-they-do-now-theyre-out-prison

Thanks gitana. I am trying to imagine what it is going to be like for these 3. 18 years in prison under these circumstances must sure do a number on one's head. I hope their lives are filled with joy and they can recapture what was lost to them.

I don't know, JBean. I worry about re-incarceration myself. They were teens, locked up for 18 years, all with issues, especially Damien and Jessie, probably no mental health services of any kind, and definitely no preparation for release - no transition, etc.

There must be a lot of regret, anger, confusion. I saw in a link that "alcohol was flowing freely" at the party they went to after release. I would think they should stay away from any kind of alcohol or drugs.

I hope they all get intensive counseling to learn to deal without the outside, the lost time in prison, the changes, the regret, how to find jobs, everything.

I hope they all have a ton of on-going support from various people who keep real tabs on them and make sure they are okay and can find employment of some kind, stability. It is incredible.

The main thing that usually makes things easier for prisoners suddenly released is that they often receive a large settlement to help them pay their living expenses. That is not going to happen for them, so it will add a lot of stress to their daily lives. I hope they each have enough family support to overcome that.

Here's a video of the actual moment the three were released. A lot of support there, it seems:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvfsal8WZUk"]Actual moment WM3 were set free. Damien Echols leaves Craighead County Courthouse. - YouTube[/ame]

I know they can't get a settlement but I still can't figure out if they would be able to make money from movie rights, book rights, etc. I think Damien wrote a book. I'd like to see some form of compensation.

I wonder how the relationship will go for Echols and Davis since they have never spent very much time with each other before and now it will be 24/7.

I've heard of death row prisoners having groupies and a fan base, but I don't understand it.

Because of the Son of Sam law, the men cannot make money by reenacting the crime. (Since they were not in the RHH woods or the BB woods that night, they couldn't reenact the crime anyway.) However, they can talk about their mistreatment during their incarceration. They can work toward finding sufficient evidence to prove who really committed these terrible murders. All three have a support system of friends and family. I'm sure they'll adjust; it will just take a little time.

Does anyone know if Jessie's father still lives in the same trailer park or if his step mother (not Lee Rush)is still alive?

His father does live in the same trailer park. I don't know if Shelby Miskelley is still alive or not, sorry.

I was just thinking since they like being in the media spotlight, Lorrie could get a spot on 'Who the Bleep Did I Marry'. LOL

Also to add:

I thought it was weird that Misskelley did not want to go to the party afterwards, but said he'd rather just go home.

I wonder what the conditions of their release were, you know the real document not rumors, but the real document.

I was just thinking since they like being in the media spotlight, Lorrie could get a spot on 'Who the Bleep Did I Marry'. LOL

Also to add:

I thought it was weird that Misskelley did not want to go to the party afterwards, but said he'd rather just go home.

I wonder what the conditions of their release were, you know the real document not rumors, but the real document.
I worry that Lorrie may not make it to the biography channel's I Survived show.

I think Jessie was afraid to go to the big party afterwards in the evening darkness.

I hope they are watched closely for the rest of their lives. I can't even bear to read about those sadistic murderers, convicted of torturing, mutilated and murdering 3 innocent little chilren, enjoying life on the outside world. .

Short (but good) interview from CBSNewsOnline with Stephen Bragg, one of Damien's attorneys - he mentions 3 "turning points" in the case - new evidence (DNA results and witnesses), new hearing, and new judge:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861az5LNyfM"]Life out of prison for "West Memphis 3" - YouTube[/ame]

Great thread idea, gitana! I've been thinking about them daily and wondering what they're up to.

It's also shocking to me that this isn't bigger news. I have a hard time trying to find any coverage of them. So this thread should be very helpful!

IMO IMO IMO

This thread will be useless if it becomes centered on the guilt or innocence of the 3 men. There are other threads for that discussion. This is great to talk about the differences for them of life now and life then...both in their age progression and world changes.

IMO IMO IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back