Earthquake in VA 5.8

raysgirl1126

Hampton Roads, Virginia
Reaction score
So i'm sitting at my desk and the whole building was shaking. I'm in chesapeake, va. The office in Richmond got it BAD! Anyone else in the area feel it?

I'm east of Farmville Va and I felt it. I've got some straightening up to do around here.

My husband works in a hospital in Richmond and he said that he felt it strongly there too.

Weird.

I just saw on an NBC special report that both the white house and the pentagon are being evacuated right now due to it, they said 5.4 on the richter scale

they just said it was felt as far away as Manhattan

Felt it in Reading, PA. I'm completely freaked... I know they felt it in Akron, OH too...

my friend is in NE Philly and she just posted on facebook

CNN is saying it's a 5.8 and people are being told to stay in place in case of after shocks

Felt it in Reading, PA. I'm completely freaked... I know they felt it in Akron, OH too...

I'm close to you, I felt it sitting in my chair, and a cabinet was swaying. At first I thought my apartment building was falling down, but I've been in quakes before and knew what happened.

I'm close to you, I felt it sitting in my chair, and a cabinet was swaying. At first I thought my apartment building was falling down, but I've been in quakes before and knew what happened.

First timer here... I said... "Was that...?"

So the next hour is a dangerous time for aftershocks? Is that what they are saying?

updating: 6.0 per USGS, reviewed by geologist, epicenter Virginia.

Let me give you a few words of safety:
1. Do NOT run outside if there is active shaking.
2. Get under a desk, if necessary, to protect your noggin from falling things
3. Avoid glass windows, buildings, and power lines.
4. When it's safe to go outside, proceed SLOWLY. Take stairs, not elevators.
5. Once outside, be aware of falling bricks, windows, and so on.

Hang in there. A 6 is pretty big, especially when you're not used to them. Expect aftershocks, and be prepared to take cover. Treat this as you would a bad thunderstorm, in terms of food and water/lighting.

Cell service seems to be pretty spotty right now; one trick I've learned is leave a message on your outgoing vm stating you're all right in case you don't get the call and it goes to vm.

Best-
Herding Cats

An earthquake in Virginia this afternoon was felt as far as Rochester.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the preliminary magnitude of the earthquake, which struck at 1:51 p.m., was 5.8. The epicenter was about nine miles south of Mineral, Va., about halfway between Richmond and Charlottesville. The depth was 3.73 miles.

Jon Hitchcock of the National Weather Service in Buffalo said his office had received a number of calls in minutes before 2 p.m., after the tremors were felt. Buffalo is about 350 miles from the epicenter.

The quake also was felt in Washington, D.C., where U.S. government buildings were reportedly being evacuated, New York City and North Carolina.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20110823/NEWS01/110823019

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back